Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not what you would think...

So I decided to go for a spin on a Harley Davidson Livewire at my local dealer. Not gonna lie it left a smile on my face. Whether you like electric or not it’s worth a try just for the experience. I was pleasantly surprised by the suspension and braking capability this thing has. Even with the extra weight the cg seamed just right for stability and cornering. It just felt solid even at triple digit speeds (on a closed course, never a public road). One of things I learned was to get out and try different bikes just to learn what you like and dislike.

·
Registered
2017 Hi-Viz and Matte Grey MT-09
409 Posts
I'd love to try one. I think they're overpriced for what they are (even for a bike wearing the bar and shield), but I was quite keen on the Zero before I got my MT-09. If I had the house I have now, I probably would have sprung for the Zero instead. Ah well!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Putting brembo brakes on a Harley is like putting lipstick on a pig, its still a pig. Surprised it doesn't come with ohlins suspension.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Putting brembo brakes on a Harley is like putting lipstick on a pig, its still a pig. Surprised it doesn't come with ohlins suspension.
It was Showa suspension in the rear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm actually trying to schedule a trip out to NC for a Energica Ego demo and possible purchase. Jumping to an electric motorcycle after a lifetime of ICE is going to take a period of deliberation, but the curiosity and willingness to consider the idea are definitely there.

Livewire isn't on the contender list. Insanely overpriced. Yanking the HD badging off of it should immediately reduce the sticker by about 1/3, which would at least bring it down near the realm of reasonably priced. They're entirely too proud of their name. That thing is woefully overpriced for what it brings to the table.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,888 Posts
Has anyone ridden a Zero SR/F or SR/S yet? I would love to, but my local Zero dealer is an ass, and I won’t set foot in that place...

·
Registered
14 FZ09, 99 Vmax, 89 Venture
31 Posts
HD's bang for the buck has long been a big issue, and one of the main issues that has left them circling the drain now. That and their refusal to use any technology that has not aged 25+ years. This bike addresses one of those issues but leaves no doubt that the price problem at HD burns brightly still. 30K seems extremely lofty when you think of the two sweet bikes you could buy for that price.

At least they finally made a bike without the underwhelming, overpriced, oft unreliable, noisy, obsolete, short-lived, monotonously mundane Vtwin. I have to give credit for that, this is a step in the right direction. Most of the folks that were chugging the HD Kool-Aid are no longer riding. Younger buyers are probably not as easy to suck in with the Tradition and Heritage buzzwords, and are given choices that sell themselves based on their own merit. I'm thinking the HD name plate is more of a negative than a positive, given how HD has allowed their reputation to evolve (no pun intended). Also noticing they left the brakes and suspension to the pros instead of attempting it in-house.

Thank you to the OP for riding and posting thoughts on this machine, it's interesting to hear the perspective.
Hows the road feel, pretty good feedback, does the suspension feel semi-sorted? Specifically forks and how they feel. I hear stable but is feedback good too? It looks like a pretty fun bike.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A few of my mates test rode it and they didn't really have anything negative to say. They both enjoyed it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A few of my mates test rode it and they didn't really have anything negative to say. They both enjoyed it.
Even though I suppose I did bad mouth the Livewire in my previous post, my criticism was based almost solely on the MSRP and how that figure stacked up against other electric motorcycles currently available.

I did get the opportunity to demo one on the 4th of July when I was dropping a friend off at the dealer to pick his Vrod up from service. I asked a "salesperson" where their Livewires were at, which ended up being stuck away in the furthest back reaches of the showroom. Just asking about the Livewire was all he needed to hear to get him basically insisting I demo one, despite me telling him repeatedly he should in no way consider me a potential buyer.

The motorcycle itself was actually very impressive, fun to ride, belied it's curb weight well. I really couldn't find much of anything to complain about when it came to the actual product, just the cost compared to the other ebikes out there. They need to get real on the pricing of that thing if they have ANY hopes of bringing in non-HD enthusiasts or early adopters.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,888 Posts
Originally, I was kind of thinking HD was simply making a limited run of the first edition Livewire as a “halo” bike. Sell a few hundred to some rich guys, get some buzz going (LOL, that was unintentional), then start gearing up a run of “standard production” Livewires at 2/3 the price, with slightly lower content. Now, I’m not so sure.

It’s likely the Covid deal screwed up the whole thing, and maybe they’ll try to get back to that plan eventually. I hope that’s the case. If they actually intended all along to sell Livewires for $30,000+, and that was it? Well, then I don’t want to smoke what they’re smoking...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I look at it as an R&D endeavor that HD decided to sell some to help offset development costs while testing the market. When this project was started they had no idea where the market was going to be and what competitors would emerge. By pushing through and putting out a quality product, despite being pricey, they have created a great learning opportunity and a piece that brings all types of buyers to their dealerships. Whether you like Tesla or not you have to admit they disrupted the industry and forced even the biggest automanufacturers to get serious and fast. Look at their costs now versus in the beginning. Someone has to get the ball rolling, I think HD felt they didn't want to play catchup.

Reactions: Moto26

·
Registered
109 Posts
Even though I suppose I did bad mouth the Livewire in my previous post, my criticism was based almost solely on the MSRP and how that figure stacked up against other electric motorcycles currently available.

The motorcycle itself was actually very impressive, fun to ride, belied it's curb weight well. I really couldn't find much of anything to complain about when it came to the actual product, just the cost compared to the other ebikes out there. They need to get real on the pricing of that thing if they have ANY hopes of bringing in non-HD enthusiasts or early adopters.
Pretty much the same conversation I had with them at the clubhouse. They all were very impressed with the package as whole, no so much the RRP of it, haha.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts