Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Got on the road today! Work conspired against me so got a late start. It was over 100f coming through Sacramento but I was nice and cool thanks to the cooling vest. Quickly made it over Donner Pass and into the Nevada desert. I gotta say the fz09 is a great all around machine. I've got it loaded down with tools camping gear etc and it doesn't seem to effect it at all. Got it up to 125mph on my private desert straight away too! Killer full(ish?) moon tonight too. Made it to Eureka NV and I'm having a beer at the local pub and all is good. Tomorrow I'll make it somewhere in Utah on old hwy 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sounds like a great trip so far. The moon is awesome right now.. I haven't been able to resist at least going out for a short cruise the past few nights.

Have a safe trip, keep us posted on your adventures.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Man you got that thing loaded up huh? Stay safe and have fun!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Awesome, looks like a great trip... ride safe!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
great pics so far - did you bring a bag for your make up and shoes or what!? Just kidding :)

Ride safe!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to a wedding, I'm prepared for sun rain or snow and I've got camping stuff too. I'm on the road until sometime at the end of the month so yeah I've got a lot of stuff. The big top bag has zero degree bag and sleeping roll in there plus a small bag of tools so I can work on the bike if needed. It certainly will be getting an oil change in the next few days.

I'll be on the road again in about an hour. Ill post up more later today. Sure beats another day at the office! Woot!!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Looks like fun!

Check your load's security often and they can and do come loose and shift around.

Been a long time since I was out on a long trip like that and I envy you!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
That's an amazing set up...what bags are you using? I used a top rack with saddlebags for a 2-up one week trip which did not involve camping. The bike was steady with all the luggage and two humans on it- never felt loss of power or instability- even with stock everything!

Have fun tripping- I can't say it enough- this bike was made to do whatever you want it do- the UJM is finally back!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I like the use of the cortech up top! I think i may do that on my trip, i didn't even think about putting it on top of my giant sleeping pad to keep the access easy.

photo%203-1.jpg

I'm not trying to derail the thread...just complimenting you on your idea. Watchout for the snow in them thar hills!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well another great day of riding. I'm currently in Vernal Ut on old hwy 40. I spent several hours ripping east from eureka nv to delta ut on hwy 50. I had lunch at the boarder of Nevada an Utah right outside of the entrance to big basin national park. Met three friendly Harley guys there who were from my home town of Santa Rosa. Continued on to Delta and my plan was to zigzag through the mountains from Delta up to Duchesne but when I was gassing up in Spanish Fork I noticed my rear tire was toast! I knew I was going to have to replace it soon but thought I'd make it to boulder or Bozeman, but the high speeds, and heat of the desert really chewed up what was left. There was a channel down the middle that was really worn and if I hit rain (or wet pavement from snow melt) I would have been asking for trouble.

Found a yamaha dealer in Provo and the service guy didn't know what a fz09 was ("Is that a yamaha?") and they only had a Michelin pilot road 2 in stock in a 180/55/17. They wanted $189 for the tire and $45 to mount it.

I called the second place that came up on my gas station stop iphone search. That was Rusty's Custom cycles. He didn't have a tire for me either but found one at Rocky Mountain Atv about 10 miles from where I was and offered to stay late at his shop to mount the tire for me.

Thy had the pilot road 3 for $145 and rusty charged $45 to mount it. He really saved my butt and kept me from having to stay in Provo for the night or risk continuing on with my bald rear tire! Thanks Rusty!! Nice folks, cool little independent shop.

So after they mounted the tire for me I was back on the road but further north than I had planned so ended up going up through Provo Canyon to Duchesne which was a beautiful ride! Saw lots of dead dear and elk on the side of the hwy and only a couple live ones. Those suckers are massive!! Wouldn't want to hit one!

So tomorrow I'll make it to boulder and have a couple days off the bike! My butt must be getting used to it because today was more comfortable than yesterday. Oh and I'm loving the carbon fiber seat cover for my seat concepts seat much better than the gripper seat cover I got originally.

There were a couple comments on the luggage so to respond the saddle bags and large tail bag are Nelson Riggs survivor series water proof bags. The "little" 24l tail bag is a cortech. Between the steel rack and excellent tie down straps that came with the bags I've had no movement of the bags. They stayed in place so far perfectly. I even moved the big bag back about an inch today and they have been great. I'm very happy with them.

I'm wearing a dainese spine protector, a small camel back and a hit-air airbag vest so I needed a little more room back there!

It's crazy to see folks in Utah with no helmets on. Not many atgatt folks in this state that I've seen.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Tire wear can sneak up on ya, especially when carrying a load. Rusty to the rescue!

Love the shots of the road disappearing far into the distance... makes me want to hop on my bike and go see what's over that horizon.

Couple questions for you:

How many miles did you get out of that stock tire?

Have you had any need for the extra fuel you're carrying?

Just curious as I'm planning a road trip myself.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I got 5200 miles on the rear tire. My chicken strips were probably 1/4" so I was using most of the tire and not just the middle. I assume this helped with the mileage. Front still is fine.

I'm not carrying any extra fuel. I was planning to get 2 1gal rotopax cans but didn't before I left. I went about 165 miles on a tank and that was the only time I got nervous about running out of fuel. I think that time I only put in 3.4 gals. I seem to be getting in the 45mpg range. I also am stopping ever 80-100 miles or so to get my butt off the saddle and stretch my legs. If there is a gas station at that point I just refill then too. Fuel capacity has been a non issue. If I needed to go farther than that I'd get the rotopax.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I got 5200 miles on the rear tire. My chicken strips were probably 1/4" so I was using most of the tire and not just the middle. I assume this helped with the mileage. Front still is fine.

I'm not carrying any extra fuel. I was planning to get 2 1gal rotopax cans but didn't before I left. I went about 165 miles on a tank and that was the only time I got nervous about running out of fuel. I think that time I only put in 3.4 gals. I seem to be getting in the 45mpg range. I also am stopping ever 80-100 miles or so to get my butt off the saddle and stretch my legs. If there is a gas station at that point I just refill then too. Fuel capacity has been a non issue. If I needed to go farther than that I'd get the rotopax.
That's some pretty impressive fuel mileage! I made to 115 the other day before f-trip kicked in...must be the California 65+15 speed limit that everyone goes. Has the snow melted in CO and Bozeman? Snowed last week if I remember right.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Damn 125 with all your gear ride safe and have fun clocking miles

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
That's some pretty impressive fuel mileage! I made to 115 the other day before f-trip kicked in...must be the California 65+15 speed limit that everyone goes. Has the snow melted in CO and Bozeman? Snowed last week if I remember right.

Ride safe!
Are you sure you are filling the tank all the way up and not just filling til the the nozzle clicks off? I pull the rubber bellows thing on the nozzle back with my hand so I can see the fuel level and I fill it until it is about 1/4" above the bottom baffle/fill tube plate.

If I just insert the nozzle and pump gas til it clicks off I am about 3/4 of a gallon short of actually full tank.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I called the second place that came up on my gas station stop iphone search. That was Rusty's Custom cycles. He didn't have a tire for me either but found one at Rocky Mountain Atv about 10 miles from where I was and offered to stay late at his shop to mount the tire for me.

Thy had the pilot road 3 for $145 and rusty charged $45 to mount it. He really saved my butt and kept me from having to stay in Provo for the night or risk continuing on with my bald rear tire! Thanks Rusty!! Nice folks, cool little independent shop.
Always good to find a good shop that is willing to go out of their way to help you!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts