Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today was my first ride of the season. It was 80 in Lancaster, PA. I also sold my Harley today. We went riding on the back roads. The roads are winding and quiet around here, with lots of hills that you can't see over. I remind myself that over every hill can be a cow, so I ride cautiously.

We were on a larger road with a 50 mph speed limit, still lots of turns and limited visibility. I'm happy I was riding the speed limit. We went over one of those blind hills and there was a horse pulling an open buggy, taking up most of the lane, and a car was behind it. Everything was moving at like 7 mph. Since I instinctively slow down on these blind hills, I was a little surprised by the buggy taking up the lane but I was fine and just slowed down (this was a two way road, one lane each side). If a car or bike came flying over, there would have been one huge mess. I had more than enough time to react, and just slowed down and crawled behind this for a minute or two.

What road hazards have you dealt with where you ride?

·
Registered
246 Posts
The city likes to throw sand on the road. I haven't figured out a pattern to it. There's no ice, they aren't patching the road, there's no asphalt that they are trying to cover. Just sand in seemingly random places with no signs or warnings.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I was on I-85 headed north into Atlanta one morning and saw a long trail of white packing "peanuts" in the emergency lane. It took my brain a short time to see them and then realize passing cars weren't blowing them around. As I passed by, I looked down and saw to my horror they weren't styrofoam bits at all. It was the contents of a rather large box of 1/2" PVC plumbing "elbow" fittings!
None were in the road, thankfully. But, if they had been, it would've been like rolling over so many ball-bearings. I've also seen in the median the contents of entire semi-trailer full of GM oil filters headed to the engine plant and ironically (at a different time) a truckload of engines scattered about from overturned trailers. Can you imagine anything hitting a V8 in the road? Ouch!
I rode over a large plastic tail light assembly going through an overpass tunnel one afternoon. My old 1993 CB750 went airborne for a second with a loud crash of shattered plastic. No fall. No bike/rider damage. Just the relief it wasn't a bumper!

Reactions: bryce

·
Registered
474 Posts
I find bicyclists who wander (wobble out of breath sometimes) into the middle of the road to be very dangerous. Even worse is when oncoming cars feel like then can overtake bicyclists and they come over the double yellow into your lane.

Coming over a rise, or around a blind corner and finding someone pulling a U or merging back on the road from the shoulder is a constant threat when riding in the parks by me.

Reactions: edgyver

·
Registered
768 Posts
Single biggest hazard to pretty much everyone:
Driver distractedly talking on a cell phone.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, animals and random illegal u-turns! We have all kinds of random animals crossing the road around here and a guy was taking up most of the two lanes (one each direction) while making an illegal u-turn over a blind turn. I forgot about that one from today.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just today... Highway 21 just north of Potosi MO.

Slow cage, cage 2, cage 3, cage 4, me. Cage 2 finally got a chance and blasted around slow cage. Cage 3 worked up his courage and punched it. Result: Huge cloud of opaque dirty-white oil smoke. ZERO visibility. I had just checked 6 so I knew nobody was behind me, so I got on the brakes. Good thing, too, as cage 4 was also hitting the brakes...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
In this city- cab drivers pulling over at the last second for a fare, over-eager cyclists, pedestrians and ofcourse a distracted cager.
The other day, trying to make it uptown, I came around a cab and saw that the road had been strippped and the road was broken on the side. It was too dangerous to brake, even at my speed(about 30)- so I eased the throttle, decided to go on the stripped portion and just smoothly entered the completely stripped road ahead. Amazing, there were no signs about this construction and cars were not slowing down till the last second because of this!

Always be careful on blind hills- enthusiastic weekend riders (like the ones I rode with) sometimes forget that these are hazards. From experience, I find daily, all-weather riders to be more careful everywhere. I would ride with them in a heartbeat.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Single biggest hazard to pretty much everyone:
Driver distractedly Texting on a cell phone.:mad:

Fixed that for you....Hope you don't mind.:)

Reactions: motorock

·
Registered
144 Posts
i once knocked on the window of a van running me off the road. He nearly crashed after he saw me.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
From today in traffic, that "polite" driver who jams on the brakes to let someone in... again and again and again. :mad:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Cagers in general, but the ones on their cell phones yacking or texting. Those are the ones I use two fingers on, two fingers point at my eyes, then point ahead to the road. Usually makes them embarrassed since they realized they got busted on their phones. Even though they just upped the distracted driving fine, so many people still don't get it.

Other than that, sand and gravel until they clean the roads, but even then after any big rain shower, don't trust the roads to be 100% clean.

Reactions: jth_fz09

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Bicyclists are a big factor in Socal.

It irritates me when there is a whole gaggle of them and they dont ride single file but hog the entire lane. Then when they hear you coming only a couple or riders move over.

I have come close to a head on colision with an opposite direction car that is forced to go around a group of bicyclists.

Almost makes me think about mounting an RPG lane clearing device on my FZ. Problem solved.

Of course I am kidding. Don't check my fingers behind my back...lol.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I find bicyclists who wander (wobble out of breath sometimes) into the middle of the road to be very dangerous. Even worse is when oncoming cars feel like then can overtake bicyclists and they come over the double yellow into your lane.

Coming over a rise, or around a blind corner and finding someone pulling a U or merging back on the road from the shoulder is a constant threat when riding in the parks by me.

I tend to find when I'm following a fellow rider and they leave their turn signal on to be very dangerous, wreckless even. :laughing7::laughing7:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Drunk guys coming out of Ralph Wilson Stadium trying to cross the road.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Bicyclists are a big factor in Socal.

It irritates me when there is a whole gaggle of them and they dont ride single file but hog the entire lane. Then when they hear you coming only a couple or riders move over.

I have come close to a head on colision with an opposite direction car that is forced to go around a group of bicyclists.

Almost makes me think about mounting an RPG lane clearing device on my FZ. Problem solved.

Of course I am kidding. Don't check my fingers behind my back...lol.
Ever wish you had an auto paintball gun for cases like that? Just pull the trigger and paintball spray the whole lot of them.....

Oops! Typing out load again, lol.

Reactions: Hawkerjet

·
Registered
768 Posts
Fixed that for you....Hope you don't mind.:)
Not at all!
Texting or talking, actually.
I've had someone with a phone wedged between their left shoulder and ear move over on me too many times to recall.
=)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
We are right in the middle of a change to the law for distracted drivers. They are upping the fine to $250 and adding on a three demerit point penalty. But you still get idiots driving and texting, but they try to hide the phone in their lap as they drive which just makes it worst.

I just added a Dod Tech LS460W High Definition Car DVR w/ GPS dash camera in my truck and picked up a Sony action camera for the bikes. The cops love it when you send in video footage of idiots driving. It's hard to fight a ticket c/w video evidence to back it up.

Ya I know, some of you think it's being a jerk to send in videos to the cops. All you'd have to do is drive around here in rush hour and you'd change your mind, lol. WAY to many idiots on the roads these day, and they forget everyone has a cell phone camera ready to record them.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts