Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

I bought my 2016 FZ-09 from my local dealership back in October and what attracted me the most to this bike was the black and red contrast across the bike. With the bike having its frame and rims painted red, it just looked so good that I couldn't resist but buying it.

Now I'm having paint chipping on the rims. At first the chippings started small and I found some nail polish that perfectly matched the paint to do a little touch up work. However, recently I noticed that the rear rim had very large patches of paint peeling off, making the rim look trashy. I made the conclusion that the cause was due to water getting in through a hairline crack in the paint and then the paint gets lifted off of the rim.

Overall, I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas as to what I could do to repaint the rim. The dealer told me the bike's rims were hydro-dipped but I don't believe it. Would red spray paint work? Maybe an alternative paint option that I don't know of? Please feel free to comment whatever may help. Thanks!

(Front rim with minor chipping)

(Rear rim with the chipping at the top and bottom)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
That honestly looks like someone took a rattle can and half ass sprayed the rims. The rims on the black 2016’s were black from the factory. No way those were hydro dipped..the dealers full of crap. The hub area, the valve stem and the buttons wouldn’t have that overspray appearance, and there’s some overspray on the disc carrier as well. You might want to consider stripping off all that crap paint and getting them powder coated or find a paint shop that can shoot them in whatever color you choose. Looks like the surface wasn’t prepped or primed very well to have it peeling off in strips like that. Keep us posted and good luck brother....

·
Premium Member
2,260 Posts
Da Braddah is totally correct. You have a rattle can product that was poorly executed.
I have a lot of experience painting wheels and have been doing it for many years. I have the equipment and skills but the paint has become so expensive it's way better to have wheels powder coated now.
Just keep in mind that you will need to remove the bearings and spacers and then replace the bearings after the wheels are coated. This is not something you do on the garage floor so figure all this into the total cost.
I have no idea what you can or can't do but the steps will entail removing the wheels, tires, bearings and brake disks, have the wheels done and then reverse the procedure. This could easily exceed 400 bucks.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Seeing as they painted the valve stems and even the caps, they didn't even bother to remove the tires when they spray painted those rims, much less the bearings. And they probably didn't clean the rims, which is why you're losing big patches of paint.

Concur with everyone above. Suck it up and get them powder coated, and while you're at it you may as well get the subframe done at the same time. It'll likely end up having issues, too. With powder, you'll get an extremely durable finish, with all the parts matching, and you'll have a ton of color choices.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Da Braddah is totally correct. You have a rattle can product that was poorly executed.
I have a lot of experience painting wheels and have been doing it for many years. I have the equipment and skills but the paint has become so expensive it's way better to have wheels powder coated now.
Just keep in mind that you will need to remove the bearings and spacers and then replace the bearings after the wheels are coated. This is not something you do on the garage floor so figure all this into the total cost.
I have no idea what you can or can't do but the steps will entail removing the wheels, tires, bearings and brake disks, have the wheels done and then reverse the procedure. This could easily exceed 400 bucks.
Amen on the powder coating. Factory paint sucks. I had pits with 2 weeks on my 2018. I'm discusted with Yamaha on this topic. Im pretty sure the tires don't come mounted in the crate so now you have a 16 year old garage tech screwing up the finish because he didn't keep control of the rim protectors. Don't even go there man. Definitely power coat those puppies. They will be as tuff as nails.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Tires are mounted at the factory. Dealer techs never touch your rims unless you get replacement tires there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hell I was giving Yamaha the benefit of the doubt which I shouldn't - we'll talk about there ECU later. That's not helping their case. - case and point, the finish they release on their wheels should be powdercoat to begin with. I was surprised to find it wasn't. Really? a motorcycle wheel with acrylic enamel paint and to top it off no clear coat in these modern times? Is this their way of saying to you bought our 10K bike but if you want quality buy our 20K bike. If the R1 wheels are of the same standard. Keep it. Aprilia will get my business.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Powder coating and anodizing are both pretty durable when properly done. I had the wheels of my V-Strom powder coated about 10 years and 30,000 miles ago and they have held up very well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Matches perfect.

·
Registered
168 Posts
2016 black...gonna take my wheel off strip them for powder coating in red next time I need tires....... Like the look black came factor with black wheels...I never saw red wheels as an option?! Dealer must have done but they dont usually mess with the bikes do they?!

·
Registered
170 Posts
2016 black...gonna take my wheel off strip them for powder coating in red next time I need tires....... Like the look black came factor with black wheels...I never saw red wheels as an option?! Dealer must have done but they dont usually mess with the bikes do they?!
No need to strip the wheels, the shop you use will most likely blast them.. Just hand them off to a reputable shop for powder coating. Let them handle it.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I think he means stripping the wheels of tires, bearings, rotors, and valve stems... Not paint. 💁🏻‍♂️

1 - 19 of 19 Posts