Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am I the only one asking WTF when it comes to the right side engine protection? lots of options for the left and very little for the right. and before you say check out ebay, yeah, not interested in the cheap crap, design from China. no instructions, poor fitment, poor hardware quality...

T-rex drop the ball with it's current set they offer compared to the first units they made, TST only offers one side but yet the FZ-10 has both...hello fellas the -09 has been around longer, Sato Racing not feeling the style, I did have the oem...were ok but pricey and they still are. don't want to encapsulate it either. anyone find anything other than what I've mention?

at this point, think I may design and cut my own right side engine protection!

·
Registered
74 Posts
am I the only one asking WTF when it comes to the right side engine protection? lots of options for the left and very little for the right. and before you say check out ebay, yeah, not interested in the cheap crap, design from China. no instructions, poor fitment, poor hardware quality...

T-rex drop the ball with it's current set they offer compared to the first units they made, TST only offers one side but yet the FZ-10 has both...hello fellas the -09 has been around longer, Sato Racing not feeling the style, I did have the oem...were ok but pricey and they still are. don't want to encapsulate it either. anyone find anything other than what I've mention?

at this point, think I may design and cut my own right side engine protection!
woodcraft

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
A lot of the Engine Case guards for the right side are located over the Oil Pump Cover, because the lower Oil Pump Cover will touch the ground before the higher mounted Clutch Cover will.

As per this picture you can see the Oil Pump has more damage (a hole in it) and the Clutch cover is scratched up.

damaged1.jpg

If you look at this FZ-09 engine that was on ebay a while back, you can see the Yamaha Case Guards protected the engine just fine.

Left Side: - with Yamaha Case Guard mounted on Stator Cover.

engine2.jpg

Rigt Side: - with Yamaha Case Guard mounted over Oil Pump Cover.

engine1.jpg

So I am not sure if the Woodcraft cover is positioned correctly to also protect your Oil Pump Cover???

·
Registered
74 Posts
A lot of the Engine Case guards for the right side are located over the Oil Pump Cover, because the lower Oil Pump Cover will touch the ground before the higher mounted Clutch Cover will.

As per this picture you can see the Oil Pump has more damage (a hole in it) and the Clutch cover is scratched up.

View attachment 126705

If you look at this FZ-09 engine that was on ebay a while back, you can see the Yamaha Case Guards protected the engine just fine.

Left Side: - with Yamaha Case Guard mounted on Stator Cover.

View attachment 126713

Rigt Side: - with Yamaha Case Guard mounted over Oil Pump Cover.

View attachment 126721

So I am not sure if the Woodcraft cover is positioned correctly to also protect your Oil Pump Cover???
yeah i think you are right.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Also when you compare the engine, it is a lopsided beast that would dive anyone with OCD bat shit crazy.

On the left side the stator cover is located forward away from the footpeg.

Left Side.JPG

On the right side the clutch cover is located further back closer to the footpeg.

Right Side.jpg

And when you look at this image, you can see the clutch cover and oil pump cover stick out about the same distance from the bottom of the bike.

IMAG1323.jpg

Above image taken from this post by dfir, when he was checking out R&G Racing Engine Case Cover's.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/13-fz-09-gear-accessories/5186-r-g-racing-engine-case-cover.html#post96563

Plus if you look at the bike from behind the engine, it also shows the lopsided nature of the engine.

IMAG0198.jpg

So the case guards being mounted over the Oil Pump cover is for a reason, even though it does look a little odd at first glance.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I disagree with you, Rocky.
Ive had 2 crashes on the MT (well on 2 MT's because the first one was written off).
first one put a hole in the clutch cover, oil pump cover was undamaged, not even scratched.
second one almost ground a hole through the clutch cover (weeping a few drops of oil, but not pissing out oil) and again, oil pump cover was untouched.
the woodcraft would have protected the exact spot that was damaged in both crashes.
But here in aus, I can get a full set of gb racing covers hat protects everything for the same cost as woodcraft that will only protect part of the engine so I went with GB.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
i like the woodcraft kit. they come with black slider too correct?
Yes. The SS is shown in the picture, but all of ours ship with the black aluminum pucks, unless otherwise requested by the customer.

Lest it's forgotten, we developed the Woodcraft parts for Woodcraft on this bike (and the FZ-10). We originally tried doing the ignition cover: http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-builds/412-stoltec-project-bike-gonna-long-thread-31.html#post30975

We opted for the clutch cover due to the projection of the cover. I had pictures of the bike laying on its side somewhere...but I can't seem to find them right now.

And if you're looking for proof of function, look no further than here: http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-builds/412-stoltec-project-bike-gonna-long-thread-75.html#post97055

In this case, there was a LH lowside into some curbing where the bike flipped and slid some more on the RH side. As you can see, the handlebar, frame slider, and muffler took all the abuse on the RH side. This was prior to the release of the fixed-peg Woodcraft rearsets, so those would have taken some of the brunt off of the muffler. But the bottom line here is that neither the clutch cover nor the ignition touched down in this particular crash. Of course...every crash is different, and YMMV!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I disagree with you, Rocky.
Ive had 2 crashes on the MT (well on 2 MT's because the first one was written off).
first one put a hole in the clutch cover, oil pump cover was undamaged, not even scratched.
second one almost ground a hole through the clutch cover (weeping a few drops of oil, but not pissing out oil) and again, oil pump cover was untouched.
the woodcraft would have protected the exact spot that was damaged in both crashes.
But here in aus, I can get a full set of gb racing covers hat protects everything for the same cost as woodcraft that will only protect part of the engine so I went with GB.
Keef, I find this interesting and it proves that each tip over / low, high slide is circumstantial. I was behind a riding partner that lost his front end on a man hole cover around a sweeper and I saw the oil trail on the tarmac coming from the hole in the oil pump cover before the bike even came to a stop. Clutch cover had scuffs but nothing compared to the oil pump cover. We had to call a flat bed to get his bike home. He was geared up and walked away without a scratch thankfully.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
....And if you're looking for proof of function, look no further than here: http://www.fz09.org/forum/10-fz-09-builds/412-stoltec-project-bike-gonna-long-thread-75.html#post97055....
+1 it all depends on how you crash, what surface you crash on, a nice smooth track, rough road, or hit a curb. In that crash it looks like the frame slider and the exhaust sticking out so far is what protected then engine. There isn't even a scratch or any dirt on the right side case guard.

Stoltec crash and burn 2.JPG

Stoltec crash and burn 1.jpg

There weren't a lot of choices for engine case guards for the FZ-09 back in 2014. Engine case guards like T-Rex Racing and Woodcraft case guards weren't available yet. The only reason I went with the Yamaha version is because they were free with my bike. The Dealership has a loyalty awards program, and when I bought my bike the loyalty awards paid for the Yamaha case guards. The Yamaha case guards along with the SW-Motech frame siders, plus frnt and rear axle sliders, it look like they will do a good job of protecting the bike, but like Stoltec says, it all depends on how the bike goes down. I have my 09 protected in case of an accidental tip over from the wind, since we can get some wicked winds off the mountains here.

By the looks of it the Yamaha case guards and SW-Motech frame sliders should stop my clutch cover from touching the ground, unless it lands on a good sized rock, lol.

engine protection.jpg

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I always prefer advice from those that have done something, over those that have googled something ;)
So you are saying to not believe a google search like this one?

https://www.google.ca/search?q=twowheelobsession+crash&rlz=1C1GGGE_enCA394CA394&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjb_5eV68nXAhVR82MKHUeNDycQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1242&bih=614#imgrc=oML0nTVNjcPt0M:

Maybe your right, there is no video of the actual crash, just video of the bike laying in the middle of the road.

idiot crash.JPG

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yoshimura case savers are on sale cause they're being discontinued. Straight from the source!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts