Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We should stop talking about riding technique and tips on the forum. There seems to be as much (dangerous) misinformation as there is good information.

I was just reading through yet another sidetracked thread that ended in some riding technique tips. I'm no expert, but I do have a wide breadth of experience, and everybody has their own riding style and what works for them. But when people start saying "No, you HAVE to lean like this" or "Front brake = death!" or whatever, it doesn't do anybody any good. It would seem simple to just say that new riders should take a proper rider course from a professional organization but even more experienced riders here seem to have very bad habits. I know I'm in that list too (guilty of using the handlebars too much when moving around on the bike).

:happy1:

·
Registered
657 Posts
The best riding tips I've read are in a book, not on a forum.

Nothing beats real life practical training/coaching. I once spent a day with an experienced racer (at a track day). I came out of that day with much more confidence and ability.

Thinking about that, I should probably update my training. Dave - you want to coach me? :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
absolutely agree. Back in the early 90's I applied to become a motorcycle instructor, and we had to take a 10 week course. I was 21 at the time, but had 5 years of street riding and 6 years of racing motocross by that point. I was the youngest person in the class of 100 of us taking the course. Anyways, long story short, the last couple weeks were in the parking lot, and one of the final tests was we all had to ride through the test. Over 60 people failed it, many with many more years of experience than I had. In the end only 6 of us were hired on.

Long story short, on the internet, everyone is an expert, but in real life very few really are, and it's impossible to tell the difference on the web. If you want to upgrade your skills or get advice on your techniques, go take an advanced rider training course, or go to a racing school.

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The best riding tips I've read are in a book, not on a forum.

Nothing beats real life practical training/coaching. I once spent a day with an experienced racer (at a track day). I came out of that day with much more confidence and ability.

Thinking about that, I should probably update my training. Dave - you want to coach me? :D
I also learned a lot from Pro racers when I took FAST Rider School way back when. One day I'd like to take the Keith Code Superbike School. I know I still have lots to learn. Buck, if we ever manage to cross paths at the track I would certainly share any knowledge I have if it would help you out. Hoping to get to Mosport big track on May 22nd.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The only tip I ever throw out is to do more wheelies.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
A good riding course which teaches counter steering (or push steering), then practise counter steering all the time. Counter steer around every man hole cover, pot hole, track, tar mark, anything on the road. If you do it enough it will become second nature and save your bacon down the road.

p.s. - I don't see counter steering as a riding tip or technique, I see it as something you do automatically whether you realize it or not. The riding course I took covered lost of great tips and techniques and survival skills. I have also known quite a few people who took the, not so good, riding courses just to get their motorcycle license. When I asked them "Did they teach you about counter steering?" Most of them said "Counter steering? what is that?" Then I'd ask "Did they teach you obstacle avoidance? or talk about target fixation?" Which was usually followed with the Deer-in-the-headlights-look, i yi yi.

So let me rephrase my first statement: A good riding course which teaches you how to ride, and how to survive to start out with. Once you get some experience under your belt, then you can take a more advanced riding skills course. Is that better? lol.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The worst advice I've ever heard was people telling slower riders to just follow them and keep up. No, no, no. no...
This is a riding tip that I can confidently give - Ride your own ride!

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
you can't control what someone will do with any information they read - you hope everyone has enough common sense to take internet advice with a grain of salt. If people are taking anything on here as gospel, riding technique is probably the least of their concerns.

With that being said - there are some guys on here that are track instructors/MSF coaches with a lot of experience and know what they're talking about. Not all advice is crap - these guys know what's up - the moral of the story is:

Internet Responsibly and at your own risk ;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
I don't think I will be giving out any riding tips here. There are too may folks here that have way more knowledge and experience than I do. I do enjoy all of the advice and tips that I have seen on this forum, but I admit that there are some times I cringe at some of the things I see suggested or demonstrated by a few people on here. always be on guard, and take things with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The problem with internet information is weeding out the good stuff from the bad. For new riders who really don't know what they're doing it's very difficult for them to know what's what. That's why I think the best tip is to go straight for a training course. Then at least the new riders will have some idea of what safe riding is.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
I try to not be over-bearing with advice, but I also cannot just let bad advice go without refuting it either. And, like most everyone on here, you never get too old to learn. Some of the best advice lessons that I've experienced happened in the spring of 2012. I got to do a Jason DiSalvo Speed Academy Class at Barber Motorsports Park.... Awesome!

·
Registered
233 Posts
There is only one riding tip I give out to others. Ride at your own pace.

2 weekends ago I put together a group ride that about 25 people showed up to. A rider showed up and it was his first group ride and his first bike that he has has for maybe 3 or 4 weeks. He approached me and said he was nervous about keeping up. I told him PLEASE ride at your own pace. We will not leave you behind. It is far more important that I know that you are safe than you trying to keep up with the group.

At the end of the ride he came up and thanked me for the tip because he was quite a ways behind us and he still felt a little pushed. He said when he decided to participate in the group meet that his only goal was to keep up with everyone. That was extremely gratifying. Keeping up with more experienced riders is one of the worst mistakes you can make IMO. Especially in the crazy twisties of the rocky mountains.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts