Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself inadvertently resting my size 14 right foot on the rear brake. I know that my 2021 MT-09 SP has adjustable footpegs. Would it help me to raise the right peg? Understand, please, that I am over 60 and not in prime ballerina mode.

For now, I move my right foot backwards so that the ball of my foot rests on the peg. That way, it does not accidentally trip the rear brake. Suggestions welcome. Thank you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the proper foot position when riding. You may also adjust the brake lever height such that it’s a bit lower so your foot doesn’t ride on it if you’re riding in your arches.
Thank you. When I bring the bike in for the first service, I will ask about that. My lower legs thank you, friend.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,308 Posts
Raising the rearset will bring the brake lever with it. So no gain there, and if your size 14 feet have matching legs, you’ll probably want to keep the rearsets in the low position! The correct adjustment is the one Brent pointed out. It’s pretty easy to do yourself. No need to pay the shop to do it...

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Adjusting the controls for my liking is the first thing I do with a new bike, handlebar and foot.
It's an often overlooked thing. Dave Moss did a great video on this topic. He begins by asking "What's the first thing most people do with their bikes when they get them.... exhaust? What they should be doing is adjusting the ergonomics for themselves." Makes a great point.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I find myself inadvertently resting my size 14 right foot on the rear brake. I know that my 2021 MT-09 SP has adjustable footpegs. Would it help me to raise the right peg? Understand, please, that I am over 60 and not in prime ballerina mode.

For now, I move my right foot backwards so that the ball of my foot rests on the peg. That way, it does not accidentally trip the rear brake. Suggestions welcome. Thank you.
All controls need to be set up for your individual fit rather than you adjusting to the motorcycle. This includes both height and travel on the clutch and brake lever, shifter height, brake lever height, as well as the more obvious mirrors. Seat height is another common item to address for personal fit and comfort.

The proper position for your foot is whatever is comfortable for you. The controls are set for your foot to be positioned on the peg just in front of the heal of your boot. Some folks like to ride with the ball of their feet on the center of the peg but this is mostly for cornering clearance rather than the "proper" position for your foot. Riding like this requires changing foot position every time you want to shift or use the rear brake. Do whatever works for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts