Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,
I'm moving up from a Suzuki TU 250 which has served me well as a starter bike. I'm looking at two VERY different bikes, the FZ-09 and the Triumph Bonneville T 100.

I love the look of both bikes, even though they couldn't be more different, the performance of the FZ is really pulling me that way though. However, one of my big reasons (and partly justification to the "Secretary of The Treasury" aka my wife) for making the upgrade is better 2 up riding. The TU will cart us around town but out of town, no way. I'm not looking to do 500 mile 2 up touring, but maybe a 100 mile or so ride on the weekends.

I weigh 215 and the wife is around 130. I've looked all over the internet for comments about my situation and all I can find are comments from people who are much larger than we are.

So, what do others who have ridden the FZ 2 up around town and on what I'll call "medium" distance rides have to say about using the FZ-09 this way? I'm not concerned about how the power train performs, just the suspension. We won't be carving up canyons (like there are any here in SE WI) 2 up. Just tooling around.

TIA.

Sconnie!

PS, I so want this to be a good option for me, but if its not, then I want to make a smart decision too.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I was riding two up on the weekend. The bike handles it great. The torquey motor doesn't notice the weight of the passenger as much as my 600SS did.

I'm around same weight, and so is my passenger. We hit some rough rail-way crossings, and the suspension handled it well (bone stock).

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
885 Posts
The TU250 is a fine motorcycle; its seating position suits me well and helped in my decision to add the FZ-09. Not sure if circumstances allow you to keep both, but I really like having both of them around.

My daughters (one at a time, of course!) will ride two-up with me occasionally on the FZ-09 with stock suspension. I'm a few pounds heavier than you; my daughter a few pounds lighter than your wife. My daughters enjoy riding with me and I have asked them about the FZ-09's comfort. So far, no complaints from either of them, and I have no issues operating the FZ-09 with a passenger aboard.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could probably swing keeping them around, but space in the garage is at a premium, as are the funds. I really like the TU, but its just not sufficient for taking the lady out and about. The obvious/easy choice would be the T 100, but dang, I'm really intrigued by the FZ. Going to ride one (probably only 1 up) at a test drive event next week and I've got a test ride on the T 100 set up for this week.

Thanks for the input. I'd love to hear from some others too!

JW

The TU250 is a fine motorcycle; its seating position suits me well and helped in my decision to add the FZ-09. Not sure if circumstances allow you to keep both, but I really like having both of them around.

My daughters (one at a time, of course!) will ride two-up with me occasionally on the FZ-09 with stock suspension. I'm a few pounds heavier than you; my daughter a few pounds lighter than your wife. My daughters enjoy riding with me and I have asked them about the FZ-09's comfort. So far, no complaints from either of them, and I have no issues operating the FZ-09 with a passenger aboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
How much of the riding time will include a passenger? How long does your passenger like to ride? How comfortable are they sitting on the back of the FZ09 with you sitting on it?

Many passengers will find the passenger seat too minimal and the lack of any bike left extending behind their butt to be uncomfortable/disconcerting.

IMO, as a 230lb rider, I would never carry a passenger on the FZ09 unless I had no choice and even then it would be for the shortest distance possible.

Too much passenger weight to bike weight ratio and the FZ09 passenger accommodations are a second thought, at best.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I could probably swing keeping them around, but space in the garage is at a premium, as are the funds. I really like the TU, but its just not sufficient for taking the lady out and about. The obvious/easy choice would be the T 100, but dang, I'm really intrigued by the FZ. Going to ride one (probably only 1 up) at a test drive event next week and I've got a test ride on the T 100 set up for this week.

Thanks for the input. I'd love to hear from some others too!
You're welcome! Best wishes on your decision and please let us know what you decide even if not the FZ-09. Although we're kind of biased around here, the decision is truly about what's best for you and your wife. Among the Triumphs, I'm particularly fascinated by the Scrambler, but they're all neat rides!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Wife says it feels too cramped to ride as a passenger. She says her helmet kept hitting mine... My nuts were right up on the tank with her on the back, so yeah, it felt cramped. I wouldn't want to go for an hour ride with a passenger on the 09. Suspension felt pretty sacked out and likes to buck in corners when 2 up. Screw that.

·
Registered
657 Posts
How much of the riding time will include a passenger? How long does your passenger like to ride? How comfortable are they sitting on the back of the FZ09 with you sitting on it?

Many passengers will find the passenger seat too minimal and the lack of any bike left extending behind their butt to be uncomfortable/disconcerting.

IMO, as a 230lb rider, I would never carry a passenger on the FZ09 unless I had no choice and even then it would be for the shortest distance possible.

Too much passenger weight to bike weight ratio and the FZ09 passenger accommodations are a second thought, at best.
I have zero issues with a passenger. Not sure what your beef is about this bike. It's perfectly fine with a passenger. I'm only a few pounds less.

Of course the bike will handle differently, but in no way is it unsafe. Plenty of brake, and plenty of suspension.... and enough torque to get up to speed.

For longer hauls, she's got a nice back rest and a place to put her purse.

Reactions: motorock

·
Registered
48 Posts
Me (about 185 geared) and my wife (about 115 geared) have done a few rides, one of them more lengthy, two up. Her only complaint so far is that the 09 doesn't have nice grab handles like my CBR did. Other then that, she says it's more comfy then the CBR (of course.)

I'm sure the added weight stresses the stock suspension even more, but then again I don't ride as spirited with the wife on the back, so it's not an issue.

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
The majority of my riding thus far on the FZ-09 has been 2 up.

My wife despised the stock seat... so it had to go.

Now I added this and she is super pumped:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Not saying you can't or shouldn't ride fz09 2up, just pointing out its weaknesses in that role and that there are many bikes better suited for it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I haven't had any problems riding the bike 2up stock. The suspension handled it fine and no complaints from the gf. Said it is more comfortable than my CBR 600 F4i. Haven't gone on any long 2up rides though.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Me (about 185 geared) and my wife (about 115 geared) have done a few rides, one of them more lengthy, two up. Her only complaint so far is that the 09 doesn't have nice grab handles like my CBR did. Other then that, she says it's more comfy then the CBR (of course.)

I'm sure the added weight stresses the stock suspension even more, but then again I don't ride as spirited with the wife on the back, so it's not an issue.
That's the nice thing about the OEM rear carrier, as it has built in handles for the passenger.

Reactions: motorock

·
Registered
657 Posts
Not saying you can't or shouldn't ride fz09 2up, just pointing out its weaknesses in that role and that there are many bikes better suited for it.
Sure a Goldwing would be more suited to a passengers comfort, but just because a bike isn't as suited as a touring bike, doesn't mean it's not safe.

Case in point:

:evil6:

Just playin...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And in sandals to boot! <G>

I agree with your initial comment. I'm not looking for a touring bike, but I would like to be able to ride 2 up at times (probably about 10-15% of the time). Or maybe I should keep the Tu250 and convince the wife to ride? <G> Not likely, she enjoys the pillion, no desire to twist the throttle to date.

Thanks, I appreciate all the input. Leaning more and more towards the FZ-09......

JW

Sure a Goldwing would be more suited to a passengers comfort, but just because a bike isn't as suited as a touring bike, doesn't mean it's not safe.

Case in point:

:evil6:

Just playin...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well, with the wife we weigh about 270lbs together. Been riding two up since day one. Through pot-holed city streets or 200+ mile continuous riding and a 900 mile week.
Bike mostly stock-no windscreen, stock seat, stock suspension- didnt even need footpeg extenders for her, just a airhawk. Have a OEM rack she can sometimes hold on to and a topcase she can lean on- the stupid rubber backrest is the most uncomfortable part for her- it hits her on the back when we go over bumps. In the process of fixing it. Apart from that, bike has been solid, no nervousness, no power lag, no helmets clunking, no issues.
So yeah, boils down to many factors but impossible, it is not.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Bike handled fine with me riding with the wife as well and same pounds as the OP (my wife may worth a little less 110lb).

Ill upgrade the suspension and the seat for sure. After an hour her ass was toast. And the upgraded suspension will help with the bucking Bronco type feel I sometimes experienced going around corners. Other than that she thought the riding position was comfortable and I wasn't bad riding with her on the back (i. E. No helmet clunking or anything like that)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Bike handled fine with me riding with the wife as well and same pounds as the OP (my wife may worth a little less 110lb).

Ill upgrade the suspension and the seat for sure. After an hour her ass was toast. And the upgraded suspension will help with the bucking Bronco type feel I sometimes experienced going around corners. Other than that she thought the riding position was comfortable and I wasn't bad riding with her on the back (i. E. No helmet clunking or anything like that)

Try a Airhawk- the wife refuses to sit if its not there. Not sure even a Sargent can be as good as this little pocket of air!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Never heard of that but I'll check it. I'm waiting for more seat options to come out but I'm getting impatient. Niner seat looks great just not sure I have the time anytime soon to drive the distance to talk to his guy.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
As a side note to the OP, i've never ridden the Bonneville but while maybe more comfortable for 2up stock form it'd be horribly f*cking boring compared to the FZ. I'd rather be slightly uncomfortable and have the fz than the other way around on the bonny. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts