Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the website cycle-ergo.com for who knew that, have released the fz-09 simulation.

I'm a little disapointed so far with the position.

I'm 5'6 with 30" inseam, and that will give me an almost totallly upright position.

forward lean: 6

when you compare it to the actual fz8 with a forward lean of 20, and the other bike in the category like the aprilia shiver, triumph street triple, bmw f800r, etc...

they are between 16 and 24 (26 for the monster)

It's kinda look weird that a triumph bonneville got more lean than a Sporty roadster.

hope cycle-ergo have made a mistake.

I will see this fall if it's really that weird to sit on that.
and maybe we will be able to modify the position with stock bar or replacing it with aftermarket one.

Am I the only that it bother a lil bit?

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
From what I've read and seen, the FZ was fashioned to represent a supermoto more than a sport bike, thus the upright seating position and wide bars. Like the Duke 690 I had, same ergos there.

There are plenty of options to lower the bars. My son has a Ninja 650R and hated the bars from day one. He changed to custom dropped bars (3+") and he loves it now. He's 5'5".

At my age, the upright seating position is what attracted me to the FZ. Owned enough sport bikes to know that.

BTW cycle-ergo has it right; went there last night to see if the 09 was on there already. tp

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for your answer, for sure I will give it a try, so far I never drive any other bike than mine (yzf600r) and last time I sat one one with an upright position I feels it weird. Multiple options will probably be on the market as you said. we`ll see in fall.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
061113side1.jpg

The bars appear to be taper style. Renthal and others are making tapered bars in many configurations, now.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also thinking that the Ergo's might not agree with me. It appears to be a bit more upright than I like. I prefer the seating position of the speed triple, it's almost perfect for me with it's slight forward lean. The FZ9 is more like a dirt bike in the ergo dept. Time will tell, Ima try to get a test ride before casting my final opinion.

Steve
05 st3

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also thinking that the Ergo's might not agree with me. It appears to be a bit more upright than I like. I prefer the seating position of the speed triple, it's almost perfect for me with it's slight forward lean. The FZ9 is more like a dirt bike in the ergo dept. Time will tell, Ima try to get a test ride before casting my final opinion.

Steve
05 st3
I agree, I was scoping the cycle ergo site and supposedly I will be sitting straight up which I'm not a fan of. I wonder if I could get some lower bars?

·
Registered
23 Posts
yeah I agree with Jorkio. I have the supermoto drz which will be very similiar to the riding position of the FZ09. the power/weight raio is similiar to my FZ1. So its sort of like the DRZ and the FZ had a kid named FZ09. I wonder if the FZ09 will make the other two obsolete?

·
Registered
139 Posts
yeah I agree with Jorkio. I have the supermoto drz which will be very similiar to the riding position of the FZ09. the power/weight raio is similiar to my FZ1. So its sort of like the DRZ and the FZ had a kid named FZ09. I wonder if the FZ09 will make the other two obsolete?
Got me to thinking. My Duke 690, a cool little hooligan bike, had a power to weight ratio of 5.44lbs per hp. The FZ, given the specs we have, is 3.6lbs per hp. That's getting close to half the weight per hp. That's getting close to a Super Duke R specs. This bike should be a real hoot to ride if the chassis can handle it....

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I've been on sport bikes for the last 20 years and really like the riding position. Last summer I bought a 2009 Aprilia DorsoDuro 750, which is a Motard for sure. I didn't want to sell my 600RR until I decided that I could deal with the upright riding position and my feet being basically straight down and not back and up....sportbike style. Well, one ride on the Motard and it was an easy decision for me........the upright position works. So, with Yamaha announcing the new FZ 09, the DorsoDuro was sold and I put a deposit on the new FZ. I guess what I'm saying here, is to not be so sure that the upright riding position just won't work for you. YMMV, so check it out for yourself.

Attachments

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only time and a test ride will give me my answer, but it`s not a deal breaker at all so far, because for sure there will be aftermarket options to remedy at the situation.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Only time and a test ride will give me my answer, but it`s not a deal breaker at all so far, because for sure there will be aftermarket options to remedy at the situation.

The truth... ^^^^

·
Registered
23 Posts
the only way to see if it fits your riding style is ride the thing for sure. i know the upright position works. I've never (intentionally) dismounted the DRZ SM without a smile on my face.

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
I had some UPTIGHT ergos on my bonnie before I threw some drag bars on it. Now I have a good forward lean. Probably not everyone's cup o tea, but it was worth every dime to me!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm just getting too old for the forward lean on today's bikes. For me, the upright position of the 09, with uncramped legs is just what the doctor ordered. That's why I love my KLR650... Looking forward to riding the 09.

Nick, have you ridden a Thruxton? The first gen had a big forward lean, the new gen, not so much. I changed the bars on my Bonny, too, they sucked big time...tp dd50

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have not been on the Thrux. I have been wanting to ride one. They almost have that Clubman bar on them. I put the drag bars on my bonnie and has some real ful trying to fit all of the levers and junk on there while still maintaing clearance to get from lock to lock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love the upright ergos. I mean, the supersport look is cool, but not practical for me. I commute and ride long distances and I love being upright and able to comfortably with both hands on the bar look ahead and around corners.

·
Registered
23 Posts
yeah the sportbike's aggressive position is great for track days, but for ripping up mtns the supermoto rocks for sure. i don't know what the clearence on the fz is, but with that tork this thing should be a hell of a mtn bike.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts