Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SO let me begin by saying I have ridden more on my FZ-09 than any other bike I have ever owned...(street bike that is) So Im really doing some long weekend rides for fun. I noticed a few things about Harley riders the past month or so. I find that that most Harley riders will wave when they're alone. But when in groups, its 50/50. I'm a friendly guy. I don't have an attitude in life or on the bike. I ride within my limits (87.345% of the time). So I don't get it sometimes when they won't wave. But I figure it is what it is. I then remember an incident that occurred a week or so before I purchased my FZ-09. I was in the dealer with my 2 boys ages 8 and 10 looking at helmets. This guy wearing a leather harley jacket came up to the counter and asked the sales girl if a particular helmet was made in the USA. The sales girl says I'm not sure. Then the guy begins ranting to her about everything being made in " ****ing" (he said ****ing loudly in front of my boys) japan and this place is bad for our country and walks out. I started thinking his entire speech was self serving because if he really cared, about the well being of America he would be an example of how to live and act in public! But I digress. So every time a Harley rider doesn't wave, I think of him and his contempt for "non american made products. (but what if Japanese citizens in japan purchased products made in the USA, would he be fine with that?)

Back to the point of the Title of this post.

So I manage to bet behind a group of about 10 Harley riders. I kept my distance. Then about 8 or so more find their way behind me. they were not the same group because the group behind me got there much later from a different road. So we were all riding along and we come to a 4 way stop sign and there were cars waiting at the other roads. All of the Harleys in front went through the intersection after the first guy slowed down and then went. I figured I had better stop and do the right thing. WELL the Harleys behind me went through too. Now Im not that experience with Harley riders in groups but is this normal? Is this normal for non- harley groups too? For instance lets say is a group of FZ-09 riders from this forum got together for a ride, would we do the same thing? Does anyone ride in non harley groups and do this?

I want to know in case i ever find my self in this situation again in a non-Harley group and this is the norm.... For the record, I will no longer stay within or a part of any Harley groups I don't feel welcome anyway.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would just pass them and say c'ya

Reactions: rtsb and 520FZ09

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would just pass them and say c'ya
2 lane road with no passing lane. But i did think about it. But would that make their point about how those sport bike riders ride "I thought"
But then they go and do their thing through the stop sign.

well now I know and Next time I'm passing and movin on

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
2 lane road with no passing lane. But i did think about it. But would that make their point about how those sport bike riders ride "I thought"
But then they go and do their thing through the stop sign.

well now I know and Next time I'm passing and movin on
Who needs a stinking passing lane. :cool:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't worry about it, they're just out enjoying themselves as well.

Next time just don't get stuck in the rear.
Not worried about it at all. I just want to know if staying in a group is more important than stopping in a situation like that. So is it a biker group dynamic no matte what you ride.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Unfortunately, some (not all, by any means) of these guys think that:
1. They are riding American made Harleys (with Showa forks made by Honda) and they are special and don't have to abide by the rules of the road.
2. They think they own the section of road that they are riding on because they are in a group.

Of course, neither are true (except the forks made by Showa) and they are breaking the law just like anyone else that does what they are doing. If I come upon a group like that, riding slower than the posted speed limit, I will safely pass whenever I have the opportunity. If I end up in the middle of their group, then so be it. To me, it is exactly the same as if I come upon a group of 7 or 8 cars/trucks all moving along at the same speed and I have the opportunity to pass them. If I end up in the middle of that group, I will stay there until I have an opportunity to pass the rest of them. The difference is, the Harley guys (remember....some, not all) think that you have violated some "sacred" space of theirs...like they own the road. Sorry, I don't buy into that mentality........or lack thereof!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who needs a stinking passing lane. :cool:

Not me now.. As I discovered a little about myself this weekend in an unrelated situation. That's why I said in my OP that I ride within my limits 87.345% of the time. I imagine that percentage is going to keep dipping.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Not worried about it at all. I just want to know if staying in a group is more important than stopping in a situation like that. So is it a biker group dynamic no matte what you ride.
Just saying it probably isn't the right road etiquette but as long as their enjoying the ride and not out raping and pillaging - Oh well.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Not me now.. As I discovered a little about myself this weekend in an unrelated situation. That's why I said in my OP that I ride within my limits 87.345% of the time. I imagine that percentage is going to keep dipping.
Just try to ride safe, we all push the boundaries from time to time - that's part of riding two wheels.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just finished a 2 day Dual Sport ride with a group of several hundred riders in small groups of 4-8-10 etc..
coming to a stop sign the lead bike stops and if all clear most all other bikes will roll through.
Stop sign with car at the stop,,,, most times the cage driver will wave all the bikes out so the group can stay together.
All the bikers will generally wave to the nice cagers who google-eye us up and down in full off road gear.
I would say it depends on the group and the ride.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Included free with every HD purchase is a sense of entitlement and disdain. Many choose to use them every time they throw a leg over their 'bikes', fortunately some do not...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a rule to never, ever become part of a group uninvited. I'm not into group rides anyway but there are other reasons.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts