Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am constantly on the hunt to carve out time to go and ride, and if I'm not riding, I'm certainly thinking about it. With that said, I live in Hell's Kitchen (Chandler, AZ) and the temps are ridiculously high (well over 108 degrees) so I have been getting up around 5am to go and ride for a few hours before it gets too hot. But the other night I went out for a night ride and I really enjoyed it. Now this is not a novel idea, but I do have a night vision issues (nothing major, but it's certainly compromised).

So my question is about your riding habits and the time you like to go out? Do you prefer early in the morning, daytime, or night time riding? I know the region you live in impacts this decision (weather, deer, etc...). I have heard night riding is more dangerous due to visibility issues, but there is less traffic in my area at night.

Thanks for your input-

·
Registered
70 Posts
I live just outside of Orlando, FL so it is pretty hot too. The humidity is what makes it bad here. I will commute with my bike 2 or 3 times a week and then I will get up around 7 AM on either Saturday or Sunday to go for a longer ride. My dad (KTM 690 Duke) rides almost every night. He loves night riding but since my mom cried when I bought this FZ I promised her I would not ride at night if I could help it. That made her feel a little better, but not much. And the day I break a promise to my mother is the day I will have thrown my manhood out the window.

·
Registered
511 Posts
In Colorado it is 60 in the morning and 85 to 95 by afternoon so I love the morning rides. I used to love the night rides but my eyesight ain't what it used to be. If I leave early and get the foothills above Boulder the temps are about 10 degrees less than in town but the ride home is usually a little rough. Sometimes I wet my shirt for a little evaporative action but I don't know if that would work for you. 108! Sheesh!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Much as you mentioned, riding at daybreak, through sunrise, and into the early morning hours is my preferred time.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I live just outside of Orlando, FL so it is pretty hot too. The humidity is what makes it bad here...
I've given up on commuting until the fall weather. Work is in Orlando. I do tend to go out Saturday mornings early (6-7 am) for a hundred mile ride with a breakfast stop. Sometimes by myself, sometimes with others. My thing is to get off the road by 10-11 am.
Right now I'm totally grounded as my seat and ECU are outward bound via USPS for enhancements!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have only taken the 09 out once at night, and I had a close call coming up too fast to the S curve on Kiefer blvd in Sacramento. I seem to lose some necessary points of reference if there are no streetlights although it probably didn't help that I had the tinted helmet screen down at the time! I am a morning person and last Sunday rode out Hwy 16 and 49 to Jackson at 7am. That is when I decided to buy the Madstad windscreen system for highway speeds. Just trying to figure out what size to get. Anyone have a suggestion for that? I am 5' 7''.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I hate getting up in the morning EXCEPT when I'm going for a ride - less traffic, cooler Temps, less wildlife - giddy up

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am constantly on the hunt to carve out time to go and ride, and if I'm not riding, I'm certainly thinking about it. With that said, I live in Hell's Kitchen (Chandler, AZ) and the temps are ridiculously high (well over 108 degrees) so I have been getting up around 5am to go and ride for a few hours before it gets too hot. But the other night I went out for a night ride and I really enjoyed it. Now this is not a novel idea, but I do have a night vision issues (nothing major, but it's certainly compromised).

So my question is about your riding habits and the time you like to go out? Do you prefer early in the morning, daytime, or night time riding? I know the region you live in impacts this decision (weather, deer, etc...). I have heard night riding is more dangerous due to visibility issues, but there is less traffic in my area at night.

Thanks for your input-
Temperature ranges from 70 to 100F where I live during the summer, and I prefer to ride in weather no hotter than 85F. I ride at anytime but I do avoid riding right after it rains. Luckily in southern California, rain isn't something we see too often.

Night riding can be dangerous because you can go faster than what your headlights cover, sometimes you can't see sh!t (ie. blinded by idiots driving with high beams). However, it's cooler at night, less traffic, different experience, etc. Another thing to consider, if you crash at night and lose consciousness, you're more likely to get run over by a vehicle.

Be safe.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Much as you mentioned, riding at daybreak, through sunrise, and into the early morning hours is my preferred time.
Same here. Early riding with no one on the road is what I like. I use to work in Miami on weekend. I was leaving at 6:00am right before the sun goes up. Has I was getting closer to Miami the sunrise was up. I remember riding over one overpass that was a little high and I had a short quick view of the ocean/sunrise. That was nice...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Early Saturday or Sunday am. Holidays are a +++

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah it looks like the morning rides are the preferred time to ride so far. I agree dblogs, it seems like at night I have a hard time judging distance too. There is something about getting up at the crack of dawn, and having a coffee and heading out, but this time of year I'm back by 9am. I have a Dainese undershirt with armor, and then I wear a draggin jeans kevlar shirt over it, and it breaths pretty good but those stop lights are brutal.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Most of my riding hours are in the afternoon/evening and after midnight. There are more critters out at night, but there are still deer/cats/dogs around in the day, so you have to choose time/place carefully. On hot days I go out for a cruise after midnight to cool down and relax... no dump trucks on the road! ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,345 Posts
For summer riding it's all about being done by 11am. If I'm at a remote location for an overnighter, I'll go back out again for a couple of hours to be back at the cabin about sunset.
Hot weather gear is Olympia Air Mesh jacket and pants.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I commute on my bike daily, so I'm out early morning (we're talking 6AM) to avoid massive traffic and then again at the start of rush hour (3:30-4PM) - the rush hour sucks, and I'll often opt for city streets to avoid spending the entire commute in 1st gear .:mad: Obviously city driving poses different risks than country driving, but I prefer the AM simply for traffic flow.

Fortunately, I'm also close to some awesome backroads, and for these, I ride pretty much any time of day (temps here don't get hot enough to really bother me, even ATGATT, as I ride with Cortec mesh). Living in WI, there are more deer than cars; couple that with some night-vision issues, and I tend to stick to lighted streets at night (or find a car to run "blocker"), just to be safer, and I definitely try to keep the speeds down just in case.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I like early rides. Sometimes I do take off in the afternoons though. Where I'm at (SW Va), the parkway (BRP) is more crowded on the weekends, and especially during fall (fall foliage). I work weekends, so the roads are to myself weekday mornings. :)

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I commute on my bike daily, so I'm out early morning (we're talking 6AM) to avoid massive traffic and then again at the start of rush hour (3:30-4PM) - the rush hour sucks, and I'll often opt for city streets to avoid spending the entire commute in 1st gear .:mad: Obviously city driving poses different risks than country driving, but I prefer the AM simply for traffic flow.

Fortunately, I'm also close to some awesome backroads, and for these, I ride pretty much any time of day (temps here don't get hot enough to really bother me, even ATGATT, as I ride with Cortec mesh). Living in WI, there are more deer than cars; couple that with some night-vision issues, and I tend to stick to lighted streets at night (or find a car to run "blocker"), just to be safer, and I definitely try to keep the speeds down just in case.
Google Denali D2 lights -- just got mine. Could make a big difference for you. Avail at Amazon.

Reactions: Jynx76

·
Registered
962 Posts
I ride mostly in the evenings and at night. I'd like to ride more on the weekends, but being a single parent that doesn't get to happen often. I did take my daughter out riding dirtbikes this weekend though. It was so hot the dogs didn't want to chase us, and my phone/camera died before we finished unloading the bikes (don't leave your phone on the black truck mat on hot days).

20140713_105758(0).jpg 20140713_110422.jpg

My daughter was decked out in long pants, mx boots, knee/shin guards, armored mesh jacket, helmet and gloves - but I couldn't get her to call it a day until her XR80 overheated climbing out of a ravine. It was 100 in the shade when we walked her bike to the truck.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I am fortunate to live on the socal coast. Me and KirkB on the forum did an all day Malibu ride yesterday in full gear. Comfy all day.

It was cool along the coast but as we ventured more inland it got warm pretty quick.

Before you bombard me with tomatoes and rotten fruit just remember we pay a VERY high fair weather tax here. I am renting a dinky 1200 sq foot house built in 1971 for $2600 a month. Food here is much higher than other places and gas prices average about a buck a gallon higher than the rest of the nation. Plus the place is full of Prius's and Communists!

Gonna retire and move back to Fresno next year. Todays high will be in the low 100's there. Ah but then I will have the Sierra Nevada's as my playground. Good o'l Shake and bake California.

·
Registered
190 Posts
In the summer I'm commuting almost everyday but on the weekends I try and get out of the house early as I can depending on what's planned for the day. I don't really ride in the dark unless I was out somewhere and it's dark when I leave.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts