Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I really want leather for abrasion and durability . My problem is that leather jackets are always so short in the torso that I feel like I'm wearing a belly shirt.6'3" 195.
So I really like icon 1000 hood leather jacket but it's 600$ ,it's supposed to be longer than a normal jacket.
image.jpg
As an alternative would be this shirt
image.jpg
Which I would wear over this armor I have
image.jpg
What do you think am I crazy ?

I had a nice textile alpine stars but 1 get of and its shredded .

·
Registered
357 Posts
How much is the leather shirt? I would rock that without the armor, but I really don't ride that hard or fast. If I do I wear full armor jacket. Have you looked at touring jackets? That's what I have and they are a bit longer. I don't think I would like that hood parachuting behind my head, especially on a naked bike.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The leather shirt is only 99$
My old jacket was a textile touring jacket and it got shredded in a get off.
I haven't seen any leather touring jackets I liked.
I do live in Hawaii so 99% of riding is warm weather some rain
Good armor is a must for me
I can't help but ride faster than I should :)
The icon is nice cuz it vents ,has armor,( good armor not foam )longer length hood and liner removable but 600$ ..?

·
Registered
833 Posts
There are places that sell tall riding gear, but it is always nice to try before you buy, if at all possible.

MENS JACKETS : Tall Jackets - Eagle Leather Motorcycle Gear and Accessories, Gear for the Ride.

As for the leather shirt??? I'd personally opt for a Draggin' Jeans Kevlar riding racket instead. Since I am not into the whole Village People look when it comes to riding gear.
Village People? Which one? The Indian, construction worker, cop? Don't know what you are getting at...

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Not a person, more of an era, like the late 70's and the Disco Era.

If you are looking to keep cool with a leather jacket, you'll need to try and find a well vented or perforated leather jacket. Unfortunately Revzilla only list four Tall Size leather jackets and they range in price from $313.24 to $599.95 and they are all black, not the greatest colour in the heat of summer.

Leather Motorcycle Jackets - RevZilla

Unless you can luck out with a sale, it's hard to find a good leather jacket under the three hundred range.

Reactions: Dalex

·
Registered
957 Posts
That leather shirt will offer pretty much literally no protection. I would avoid that brand entirely. That leather shirt doesn't use any form of safety stitching or reinforced stitching. It's for looks only. Stick with sportbike focused gear and accept that you'll have to spend $300 or so to get a jacket in Tall sizes.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Like weapon said, there is fashion leather, and protective leather.
Fashion leather is soft and supple and thin with bugger all abrasion resistance. Bike leather isn't as soft and supple, but it won't turn to dust when it hits the road.
I've come off wearing textile, too. It is a sacrificial jacket, it'll be destroyed in a crash, but you wont be - leather will usually survive more than one decent crash.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am the exact same size as you and unfortunately the Icon Hood is still super short for someone our size, I ended up finding a nice jacket at the international motorcycle show that was a "tall" size. I also found that sometimes you can find leather jackets at Harley dealerships and cruiser shops that come in tall sizes. Other than that we seem to be limited to textile adventure style jackets.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the heads up you guys !
Maybe I'll try joe rocket tall size from revzilla ,Thx Rocky

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You can find some tall sizes, or what they call "tall sizes" online, but it's hard to say how they really fit? Which is why I like to try riding gear on in a store, then see if I can find the same one online for a better price. If you can't then make sure the online store has a hassle free return or exchange policy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts