Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if you've read this on the "other FZ09 site". It wasn't till today that I realized that there is two sites. which explains why I had a hard time find articles I've read before. Duh! So with out further ado, here's my question:

First off I love my FZ. I love motorcycles and have owned waaay too many over the years. I also love pie, donuts and ice cream! 6'2" presently 255 lbs. Hoping to get down to 230#, but heck we both know that's going to happen. I'm usually between 240-250 during riding season depending on how often I stop for lunch.
Here's my blight: If I continue to ride the FZ at my current pace or faster, at the very least I'm going to lose my license or fall off, maybe both. Which brings me to the logical/rational decision which is to do track days.

I'm lucky enough to live 20 minutes from mid-ohio sports car course. Track days will require leather I'm assuming. I'd like to stick to a two piece suit for the simple fact that I'll want to wear it on the street too. I've looked at some really cheap stuff and it's just that-cheap. I love alpinestar stuff but not crazy about spend a grand or more. Here's my criteria: Must be track legal. Must be cool (temp) as possible, must be something I can use on street in a standard riding position yet still be comfortable enough to stand in line at the dairy Q.

Any suggestions or options? What do you big boys out there wear?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
mx........welcome to the forum and glad you found us over here.......and congrats on the owning one of the most exciting motorcycles made.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Contact the track day organization at Mid Ohio...and ask them what is required for you to wear...and what is required to prepare your bike for a track day. All track day organizations have different rules.

Reactions: beck

·
Super Moderator
4,344 Posts
mxnut,
Welcome to the forum.

I have a friend about your size that has been fighting a fatal illness and through the years he has had many ride "outfits".
He started at 6'3" 290 and has been whittled down over the last 28 months to 6'0" 178 and he may have some good gear that would fit your 6-2/250 frame.
And most likely for nothing more than shipping. He's a good guy. Send me a private message via this forum with Free Leathers
in the subject line, so that I can respond to you when I hear from him. I have to catch him when his energy level is up, so it may take
a week, or two to speak with him. But I will respond to your PM.

~fish

·
Registered
957 Posts
I used to be a obese and did a lot of research into this subject before I lost the weight. Bottom line is that if you're a big dude with a spare tire around the middle Joe Rocket is going to be your go-to. Nothing else will offer the fit you need. Ignore anything you've heard about supposed quality issues because the bottom line is the suit and gear that protect you the best are the ones that fit you the best.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
As a bit of advice, don't buy ANY brand two piece suit unless it has a FULL CIRCUMFERENCE zipper at the jacket/pants joining area. I wear a semi-custom Pilot 2 piece suit on the track, which also doubles as my street riding suit. It's perforated and flows air really well and has good armor in all the right places. I did buy it big enough to fit a back protector and chest protector inside it too.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I thought some tracks permitted high-quality textile suits (Aerostich, Motoport, etc.). One of those would probably be more practical/useful for all of the time you won't be at the track.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I thought some tracks permitted high-quality textile suits (Aerostich, Motoport, etc.). One of those would probably be more practical/useful for all of the time you won't be at the track.
Sportbike Track Time allows Aerostich type suits, but only in the Novice group. If you earn a bump in to Intermediate or Advanced (most likely ain't gonna happen at your first track day), you would be put in the computer system to be able to purchase an Intermediate spot at a STT day, but you would not be allowed to ride in the "I" group with an Aerostitch. I can't speak for other orgs, as I don't participate with other orgs........and I have a full leather suit anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow! you guys rock! Lots of good info there. I was leaning toward the Alpinestars GP perforated stuff that Rocky_MTN suggested. I went to Iron Pony here in Ohio over the weekend but they didn't have any alpinestars stuff in my size. I'll have to take a look at the Joe Rocket stuff, they might have that in my size. I know a guy at my local Yamaha shop that does track days down there at mid-ohio. I'll pick his brain on safety equipment and bike setup.
I'm excited! I'm dying to drag my knee (goal for 2015). Hopefully i won't die doing it....
Thanks again guys. Willing to listen to all advice and opinions...
Trevor

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
wow! you guys rock! Lots of good info there. I was leaning toward the Alpinestars GP perforated stuff that Rocky_MTN suggested. I went to Iron Pony here in Ohio over the weekend but they didn't have any alpinestars stuff in my size. I'll have to take a look at the Joe Rocket stuff, they might have that in my size. I know a guy at my local Yamaha shop that does track days down there at mid-ohio. I'll pick his brain on safety equipment and bike setup.
I'm excited! I'm dying to drag my knee (goal for 2015). Hopefully i won't die doing it....
Thanks again guys. Willing to listen to all advice and opinions...
Trevor
Leather Motorcycle Jackets - RevZilla

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
found this on Mid-ohio's website:
HTML:
http://www.midohio.com/School/Courses/Motorcycles/Performance-Track-Riding

·
Registered
2 Posts
I apologize in advance if you've read this on the "other FZ09 site". It wasn't till today that I realized that there is two sites. which explains why I had a hard time find articles I've read before. Duh! So with out further ado, here's my question:

First off I love my FZ. I love motorcycles and have owned waaay too many over the years. I also love pie, donuts and ice cream! 6'2" presently 255 lbs. Hoping to get down to 230#, but heck we both know that's going to happen. I'm usually between 240-250 during riding season depending on how often I stop for lunch.
Here's my blight: If I continue to ride the FZ at my current pace or faster, at the very least I'm going to lose my license or fall off, maybe both. Which brings me to the logical/rational decision which is to do track days.

I'm lucky enough to live 20 minutes from mid-ohio sports car course. Track days will require leather I'm assuming. I'd like to stick to a two piece suit for the simple fact that I'll want to wear it on the street too. I've looked at some really cheap stuff and it's just that-cheap. I love alpinestar stuff but not crazy about spend a grand or more. Here's my criteria: Must be track legal. Must be cool (temp) as possible, must be something I can use on street in a standard riding position yet still be comfortable enough to stand in line at the dairy Q.

Any suggestions or options? What do you big boys out there wear?
hey! im new and came across this. im looking for a new two piece set preferably a cool temp one as of right now. what did you end up getting?

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
hey! im new and came across this. im looking for a new two piece set preferably a cool temp one as of right now. what did you end up getting?
Welcome to the forum.
Since you responded to a thread that is over 4 1/2 years old I'll try to help.
We have no idea what ever happened to mxnut, the original poster, but by the way he described himself he's probably not on a proper motorcycle anymore.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’ve had two Syed race suits. As good as any, cool people. Seriously crashed tested my first one while racing At Loudon(NHIS). Part that really sucked is suit was only a day old. Highly recommend.

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Part that really sucked is suit was only a day old. Highly recommend.
I have purchased four full suits from Syed and I too crashed my first set on its' first day out.
At the present time I have a one piece and a two piece that are almost twenty years old. A little scuffed and not so shiny but still solid.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am about your size and I wear a Joe Rocket two piece leather suit that is very well ventilated. It has the full zipper to connect jacket to pants and replaceable knee, elbow and back pads. I've had it for about 4 years and have done several track days in it. It is all basic black which goes well with my all black FZ09. I do not know if Joe Rocket still sells this suit but if they do I recommend it. It has held up well and I have not had any problems or malfunctions with it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Try MotorcycleGear.com. Good prices on closeout items. Sometimes size availability is not the best but it is worth the try.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts