Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am planning to ride from Austin, TX to California and back on my FZ in late Aug. The route I have selected is Texas, NM, northern AZ, NV and the CA.
I followed thread by Projectslowcus on preparation and that kind of help me motivated me for my trip as well. I have few questions though:

1. I am not familiar with AZ, NV, CA area so not sure if late august is going to be too hot or stormy.
2. I am having trouble choosing between Shinko 009 Raven and Continental trail attack 2 and would like to have some feed back.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Hi all,

I am planning to ride from Austin, TX to California and back on my FZ in late Aug. The route I have selected is Texas, NM, northern AZ, NV and the CA.
I followed thread by Projectslowcus on preparation and that kind of help me motivated me for my trip as well. I have few questions though:

1. I am not familiar with AZ, NV, CA area so not sure if late august is going to be too hot or stormy.
2. I am having trouble choosing between Shinko 009 Raven and Continental trail attack 2 and would like to have some feed back.
Can't say much about all the other stuff but i personally would never buy Shinko tires. Just my 2 cents... I live in Tucson, AZ. Wayyyy south from where you are heading but any inclement weather you may encounter will pass quickly. monsoons one minute, sunshine the next.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Southern AZ and NV will be in the 100s F.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Check out Lake Powell if you're in the area. You can rent a boat cheaply and explore the sandstone perimeter. Can also camp there.

Reactions: 520FZ09

·
Registered
962 Posts
Where in California? I've ridden from Austin to San Diego several times. My best time is 23 hours, but I'd plan on 3 days to get there. They're in a severe drought so don't worry about storms. As far as the heat - I-10 goes through the desert and is going to be hot. If you're going anywhere north of San Diego then I'd take I-40. It will add a couple of hours, but be a lot cooler. Plan your gas stops, and get a bead seat pad...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hi all,

That ride on an FZ is what I would call an IBS.

Nope not Irritable bowel syndrome but rather Iron Butt Special.

Bee sure and pack some preparation H in your tool kit. You just might need it.:joyous:

My hat is off to you sir.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will going to SJ/SF area. I will have planned stop in Texas, AZ, SB before i reach SJ. I do not plan to ride more than 9 to 10 hours a day. My journey going there will have some sigh seeing so suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
What type of seat do you have? If it isn't all day comfortable get an AirHawk or bead seat cushion.

·
Super Moderator
5,726 Posts
Your Sir, are a brave, brave man to try that on the stock seat...........or else you are..............Never mind......Good Luck! :cool:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Heh, i did a 3+ hour constant on the stock seat with heavy backpack while my butt started hurting a little bit after 3rd hour it was not uncomfortable enough to make me stop. I am looking at a Sergeant seat though.

·
Registered
673 Posts
That ride on an FZ is what I would call an IBS.

Nope not Irritable bowel syndrome but rather Iron Butt Special.

Bee sure and pack some preparation H in your tool kit. You just might need it.:joyous:

My hat is off to you sir.
Your Sir, are a brave, brave man to try that on the stock seat...........or else you are..............Never mind......Good Luck! :cool:
Don't let these seasoned fellows scare you about the seat. That said, I have a bit more natural cushion than most :D

My seat took a thousand or two miles to break-in. I've done all-day rides without an issue, but I know the stock seat isn't for everyone.

Did I see you're planning to stop in Santa Barbara, prior to San Jose/San Fran?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Don't let these seasoned fellows scare you about the seat. That said, I have a bit more natural cushion than most :D

My seat took a thousand or two miles to break-in. I've done all-day rides without an issue, but I know the stock seat isn't for everyone.

Did I see you're planning to stop in Santa Barbara, prior to San Jose/San Fran?
lol "seasoned fellows"

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I am not familiar with AZ, NV, CA area so not sure if late august is going to be too hot or stormy.
August is in the middle of Arizona's rainy season, but most of the activity is mid afternoon to early evening. I suggest you get an early start and if it looks threatening, stop early. The higher elevations in northern Arizona are not nearly as hot as the lower desert areas and the Mojave desert farther west in California does not usually get much rain in the summer.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Late August in N. Calif is typically low 80s during the day, high 50s at night. A lot of good roads to ride here.

Personally, I'd chose PR4s for the trip.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You might also think about getting a Cramp Buster throttle press. Or you could go ritzy and get a Throttlemeister. My palms and wrist get numb/tingly when I do multiple all-day runs.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I ran the shinko 009. I put 5000 miles on it. 1000 of those were over 80mph. 300 of those were over 80mph and over 110 degrees. 500 of those miles were in a pouring rain. It still has about 1/3 tread. The front appears to be unused.

I also took the bike up the highest road in the United States on those tires, I used all of them and never had an issue. I most likely will never use another tire for the street than the 009 raven.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I run strictly shinko tires on my dual sports, as they perform better and last longer than anything I've used, which is an extensive variety of tires.

If I was going to the track on my FZ I would not run the 009 raven tires. Other than that, I've drug my knee and scuffed every inch of them. Don't let the price fool you. They're a fantastic street tire and a phenomenal touring tire. I also road through the sand on them in utah..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts