• 25 - 65 Years

Votes: 334 32.4%
  • 65 + Years

Votes: 1 0.1%
141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I attempted to get on two wheels long before I was actually able to get out there. My step-dad got me an old Honda, don't even remember the model, and it never ran. That didn't stop me from sitting on it and pretending. I got my license in 2003, but a couple unplanned vacations overseas slowed my purchase down. A friend gave me an 84 Honda Shadow I think it was. I purchased my first bike in 2006, still have it. I just got the FZ in March of 2015. My only regret is that I didn't get a bike sooner.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I liked Tigershark's post. Look both ways before you cross a street on a green light. And slow down a bit. Well unless its just awesome twisty.

I started out on a yz80d back a long time ago. Favorite bike is a kdx200 and some unrutted bar banging tight single track with perfect hookup. This new fangled computer controlled 09 is pretty nice so far.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My dad got me on a bike at about 10 years old so I guess its been close to 60 years both on and off road thank you dad for all your help thru the years hes now 97.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Does this poll only include motorbikes? Or can it include pedal bikes?
I have 4 years on the street. Another ~10 years on MX.
My whole childhood on freestyle BMX and ~15 years DH mountain bikes.
Because of the pedal bikes, I feel more comfortable on a bike, rather than in a car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
started in the dirt at 5 yr old, street at 16, finally got licensed and legal at 31. I guess I have been doing bikes for more than 45 years.

funny my old man sold his bike two years ago, too worried about crashing.
just sent me an email this week to help him find a manual for his new ride. LOL I told him he suffers from the same disease I do, once you're on two wheels you can't stop. I tried once, sold all the scoots and gear. made it almost a year without a bike...............almost. LOL

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well, started at 8 on a Yamaha DT80 and now, at 41, still plugging away. 33 years for me. 34 in October when I turn 42 because the bike was a present for my 8th bday. Easily one of the most natural things I have ever done or taken to. I'd have offed myself years ago if I couldn't ride.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've only gone about 79,500 miles since 1986--started with a Puch condor moped--went to a VTR250- then a zx6- followed by a cbr600f2 went on to a cCBR900RR--back to a cbr600RR---then an 06 R1 then an 09 R1 back to an 06 gsxr 1000...bought a grom...and now the FZ09 --the fz09 is easily the funnest bike I've owned.. but its also needed the most dialing in and money spent on it....there you asked

·
Registered
85 Posts
All dirt up until now,although until 2 weeks ago I hadn't even twisted a throttle for about 6 years.
Did the Aussie MX and SX scene from the age of 17 to 25 and did enduro post that, then into the trail riding...got my learners at about 30 years old to road register a trail bike haha.

Fast forward to the ripe young age of 45 and it's hard to believe I never rode anything that was designed for the black stuff until a couple of weeks ago but I had too many dreams over the recent years of test rides on crazy fast things like the MT09 I decided to just do it.

Now I finally have something to polish instead of cartwheeling down a motocross track :)

Edit: Still got my precious...a WR450 that is never being sold.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Late bloomer here...mid-life crisis after divorce...started at 46. Did the cruiser thing then quickly realized I liked cornering more than that style of riding would allow. Bought a VFR, started trackdays and coaching from Mike Sullivan Racing and it was all over...hooked for life. Track bike, liter naked bike, sport tourers, etc. Moved to Oregon in the last few years and got into the dual sport thing, which I really want to be good at, but without formal dirt coaching and no background of dirt riding, I suck. Get-offs hurt and I can't afford to be out of work. So it's back to street riding until I budget the time and money to learn dirt. Long winded answer, about 11 years without anything other than slow speed get-offs. Motorcycles helped me pull out of a difficult time in my life and gave me a passion for something that is for me! And my second wife loves it too...win!

Reactions: Moto26

·
Registered
148 Posts
Started in 2005 after getting married and moving out to my own place. Wanted to start earlier, but my folks said not while living under their roof. Been enjoying it ever since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
890 Posts
Started in 2005 after getting married and moving out to my own place. Wanted to start earlier, but my folks said not while living under their roof. Been enjoying it ever since.
And have they said anything about it since? Or do they just grumble?

·
Registered
148 Posts
And have they said anything about it since? Or do they just grumble?
My dad was ok with it. Took my mom a few years to come to terms with it. She's an RN so she was very concerned having worked a few years in the ER. I think the turning point was when she actually watched me ride away from the house and then come back safely the first time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I started on the dirt at about 6 or 7.
1967 or 68.I bought my first street bike the day after I turned 15 and a half.
My father had to ride it home from the Honda dealer, I couldn't ride on the highway, both dirt and street for about 50 years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have been riding for more then 50 years. I love builds and have built both cars and bikes. I just sold my last build and bought a 2014 09 which I have to make my own.
A forum is the best place to learn about your bike and what to do and not to do.

This is one of my builds from the frame to the 1200 cc race motor to the hand made swing arm and brakes

141 - 160 of 181 Posts