Votes: 303 31.8%
  • 65 + Years

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters
121 - 140 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
a long, long, time. either mid-late seventies or very early eighties.

dirt-street-dirt-street.

I ride every day, everywhere, unless I have to buy more groceries then I can carry on my bike.

jaz

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
First bike in 1966, a rigid Harley 74 ex CHP bike. Been all street since then. Waiting for delivery of my FZ09.

When I was fast,
motorcycles were slow.
Now motorcycles are fast,
and I'm slow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Started riding in the dirt when I turned 3 on a Suzuki JR50 and have been riding ever since. However I have only been on the street for a little over a year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe the results indicate that families in our society as a whole are not riding motorcycles at a young age. Much of this is due to the over-awareness of the inherent danger. The next generation will probably be prohibited from doing anything with any safety risks. Texting and clicking a computer mouse will be the extent of it.

I started riding mini's and dirt bikes when I was 10 years old. I was was riding "legally" on the street (Suzuki 50) when I was 14 in the 8th grade. It was fun parking next to the teachers at school. I tell kids that now and they think I am crazy. I meet a lot of young people and they don't even get their learner's permit or regular driver's license when they are of age. Mom's are still chauffeuring them around I guess. I got my learner's permit on my 14th birthday and my regular license on my 16th birthday.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Also I think a lot of kids and families that would have been on motorcycles get quads instead. I don't know if many kids that start on quads later get serious about street bikes.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Dad picked up an old mini bike when I was 5, so the two wheel bug got in my system early on. Then my first big purchase was a dirt bike, I worked hard to save up the money for my own dirt bike. It helped that my older brother had dirt bikes, so we were hitting the trails before I had my drivers license.

Kids these days would rather save their money up for a new cell phone. Especially if their over protective parents never rode a street or dirt bike. But one thing that helped when I was a kid, was the price. You could get a pretty darn good used dirt bike for cheap back then, a $10,000 dirt bike was unheard-of. Sure they weren't as high tech as today's bikes, but they were reliable, worked pretty darn good and were a lot of fun. Today a cheap dirt bike is just that, a cheap piece of junk made in China, that breaks way to easily.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I bought my first bike when I was 15, because I could ride by myself. My parents rode, so they actually encouraged it. LOL

14 years and 13 bikes later, I'm only becoming more avid about the sport. This week alone I've ridden over 600 miles on the FZ.

The bug bit hard...

·
Registered
654 Posts
started in the dirt when I was 8. first 8 years almost strictly dirt. after that probably 85% street and 15% dirt, almost 44 now. glad to know im not the geezer in the corner of a room full of 20 somethings

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
We actually prefer the terms 'seasoned' or 'experienced'...lol, and no, on this forum there's a healthy percentage of members over 40...

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
50 years.

Honda 90 through FZ-09. Lots of great memories to look back on and many more ahead. Riding keeps you young!

My top safety tip. Keep your eyes on the road as far ahead as you can see while frequently scanning side to side. The faster you ride, the farther ahead you look. And plenty of space behind whoever you're following. I like the previous tip about pretending you're always invisible to everyone else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been riding 7 years. Started on a pos death trap 73 Suzuki SP370. Then got a Suzuki Boulevard S40. Then a FZ8. Then bought a 83 Honda Magna as my beater bike. Then bought the FZ09.

121 - 140 of 176 Posts