Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Riding Cams???
Camel Arabian camel Bactrian camel Adaptation Camelid

Seriously, What Cams are you guys using (GoPro, Sony, Mobius, etc) ??? Where are you sticking them (Helmet, Bike, Swingarm, Chest, Girlfriend's Chest, Etc)??? and How many do you have on your Bike (1,2, a narcissistic number)???

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Camera Electronic device Point-and-shoot camera

Oh Happy Hump Day!!!

Sky Friendship Adaptation Landscape Human

I know that the roads are raging with crazy cagers. I think everyone should have something on their bike for their safety. I just need to find a good one - Halp!!! :sad5:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I use a hero 3. Suctioned it to my tank.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've got a old Go Pro that I mounted on crash bars or handle bars. Then I got a Contour GPS it seems to only work mounted on my helmet.

The vibration thru my engine guards on a Vstrom caused my Go Pro case to become MIA. Luckly my camera wasn't in it. A call to Go Pro and they replaced the pieces but definitely somethin to watch out for.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hero 3 is quality, but often out of the price range of the average rider.

Look at ebay F7 "bullet" cam's, for 60-70$, itll record 720p or 1080p though, the 1080 is almost worthless. The 720p is more than good enough to capture any incidents/liscence plates you may need on your ride. Its by no means a professional system, but its cheap and dirty and gets the job done.

If i had infinite money, id probably devise a zero-g mount on the back seat for a red dragon camera. (the kind james cameron uses)

·
Registered
835 Posts
GoPro Hero 2 myself, I've had it for a while and use it for fun weekend rides with buddies.

Reactions: S0n1c

·
Registered
337 Posts
Another GoPro user here, I have one of the early models from like 2008 - still works great and quality in HD is decent even when connected to my TV at home.

·
Registered
957 Posts
For motorcycle specific applications I would definitely go with one that uses an aerodynamic cylindrical housing, such as Drift, Contour, Garmin, or JVC. However if you want the versatility to be able to use it in non motorcycle applications as well, I'd say to get a GoPro. I own both a Drift and a GoPro and I prefer the Drift for everything pertaining to the bike. Mounting solutions are better for both helmet mounting and bike mounting. The boxy shape of the GoPro means it is more likely to pick up unwanted wind noise due to the poor aerodynamics, and the OEM GoPro mounting kits are junk. Regardless of what brand of camera you go with, you'll want a RAM Mount kit (which makes for all the major brands).

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have a contour roam2 with a moded mic. It was $149 on ebay. I dont use it that often but the mount is on the side of my helmet and I dont even notice its there when I'm using it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
+1 on Contour, I got a ContourROAM (the old model, not the ROAM2) for $109 delivered about 1 1/2 years ago, it's been great. Had to buy a $19 kit to attach it to the upper fork leg (between the lower and upper triple clamps), gives a cool view of the road with just the edge of the headlight bucket in the frame (for a nice bike-to-background perspective). The company went out of business for a while but is now back up and running, if you can get a leftover model like I did I would say go for it. If I was more serious about recording stuff I would get a GoPro, but for my casual use the Contour is fine.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I think a camera installed for "safety" or solely for covering your ass can be cheaper and more primitive than a full blown GoPro/Contour or similar.

I've been looking into a Mobius camera setup, perhaps both front and rear, but most likely just front.

They are just little black boxes that do loop recording in 1080p, use uSD cards, have a tripod mount or can be stuck or strapped somewhere, turn on when supplied power (ie key-on), and turn off when the power goes off (or 10 seconds later... it's configurable).

They aren't completely inconspicuous (depending on how you mount it), and they aren't completely waterproof (waterproof cases are available). Although the research I've done indicates that they can survive light rain and heavy fog without issue.

They only cost $85 so it's not nearly as huge an investment as something like a GoPro... and you're not having to mount anything to a helmet, or charge it all the time. Pretty much a "set it and forget it" type of deal.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
A sh*t-ton of info about the cameras, including recommended vendors here.

There are a bunch of videos of sample footage and mounting options on YouTube.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think a camera installed for "safety" or solely for covering your ass can be cheaper and more primitive than a full blown GoPro/Contour or similar.

I've been looking into a Mobius camera setup, perhaps both front and rear, but most likely just front.

They are just little black boxes that do loop recording in 1080p, use uSD cards, have a tripod mount or can be stuck or strapped somewhere, turn on when supplied power (ie key-on), and turn off when the power goes off (or 10 seconds later... it's configurable).

They aren't completely inconspicuous (depending on how you mount it), and they aren't completely waterproof (waterproof cases are available). Although the research I've done indicates that they can survive light rain and heavy fog without issue.

They only cost $85 so it's not nearly as huge an investment as something like a GoPro... and you're not having to mount anything to a helmet, or charge it all the time. Pretty much a "set it and forget it" type of deal.
I am thinking the same way -- front and rear mobius with a loop for the cops and insurance. I have been riding for years and I am glad that there are affordable cams to can protect the rider in an accident/incident. My purpose is safety first - Hey, a video to the insurance company because of an idiot cager's actions could 1) defend your case 2)support the insurance companies claim 3) Help the cops determine ... WTF just happened). I see so many good riders getting the shaft because of bad cagers.

Once I get this set-up, I will look into Vlogging with a really good cam. The technology keeps getting better everyday - heck HUD(head's up displays) are right around the corner now too. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts