Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just recently joined this site....and so far Im not liking it. Reading all of your good reviews and saying how much fun it is is making it very hard to not go to the nearest dealership and pick one up for myself. The only thing holding me back really is I havent been able to test ride one yet or even sit on one. I am a bit bigger guy, around 6'1 and like 200lbs. So im just curious since I've read that this bike is more suited for more average sized people do you think I would be to big for this bike?I saw a picture of a guy that was supposedly 5'9 and he looked quite big on the bike so im really unsure and might have to keep looking. Ive considered other bikes but for the price and how much fun this bike seems to be I'm really interested in it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Height wise you will be fine, plenty of leg room and the moto style handlebars are nice for stretching out a bit. I am right around 6' myself but only 165 in street clothes, stock suspension will be soft for you but I would not worry about the ergos one bit.

What bike are you coming from? The FZ has way more room compared to any other streetbike I have owned but it is my first "sport" standard. Take a trip down to the dealer and throw a leg over one, you will know right away if there is enough room to keep you happy.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm 6'3", 235lbs, with a 36 inch inseam. I'm noticeably taller than other guys that tell me they are 6'3" - so maybe I'm 6'3" when I slouch... Anyway, I fit it nicely - but because I like to ride so far forward I'm moving my pegs up a bit by putting FZ6R pegs with rubber tops onto it. Otherwise my rear brake pedal wouldn't adjust quite as low as I'd like. If I would sit further back I wouldn't need to - but I need to sit forward to hold the front end down... Odd - I've noticed my 6 year old rides her motorcycle far forward too...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Alright fair enough. My last bike was an 09 gixxer 600, I definitely was a bit squeezed on it but still really enjoyed it, and was a hell of a rush compared to my dads vstar 950 that I rode prior to it . I had hoped that it would be a bit more comfortable then gixxer but reading around I wasnt totally sure. But thanks for the replies, I will definitely have to go test one out

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
6'0 215lb geared (+ all my muscle ;) ) and love the riding position. Suspension to me is tolerable but i've only got 100 miles on the bike with the weather here and haven't pushed it hard.

Will upgrade the suspension but you could get by without doing so - in my opinion it's only a good idea if you want to ride spiritedly and it's very difficult not to do that with this bike.

Nick (Stoltec Moto) has a full range of suspension offerings and his customer service is second to none. If you decide to pull the trigger, you have fantastic access to great vendors through this site who are offering great upgrades.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya I've read quite a few people upgrading the suspension. Looks like there is alot of useful info on the forum, always nice to find a good site and make some new friends

·
Registered
957 Posts
I am 5'10" 200 lbs geared and the bike feels very roomy for my size. In terms of suspension it's not as bad as some people claim. That depends on your skill level and how hard you intend on pushing it in corners.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once I get comfortable with the bike im sure ill want to drive the piss out of it haha I've read alot that this bike really promotes bad driving behavior and im not sure I could fight the urge before I give in. Unfortunately I dont have the best of roads or many twisty roads since I live in a province probably comparable to one of your major agricultural states(Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska if what I've heard is true)

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
5'9" here @ usually 170 lbs but lack of training put me at 180ish lbs. (I'll be getting on it soon LOL, Kegorator wasn't a good idea I guess) I have 30" inseam and pretty much tippy toe with the ZX-10 shock and my custom seat. If you are a bit cramp you could always add padding on your seat. It's an option... but the bike is amazing! Go get one! LOL

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Most of the senior members on here should be getting commission checks from yamaha at this point

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya I believe it, I was kind of contemplating a couple options but reading how stupidly fun this bike is from you guys makes me want to join in!

·
Registered
336 Posts
5' 9" here and a buck 80. Have not ridden one yet but sitting on one it feels really comfy.
+2 I'm about the same size around 5.9 and 180 in gear and the bike feels fine sitting on it.....however I contacted the dealer yesterday and they don't do test rides....so I will be buying it based off reviews and more importantly the input from the members on this site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
5'11" and 200lbs all geared up. I fit on the bike just fine. Could the suspension be a little stiffer... yes. But I didn't buy the bike to go on a racetrack, i bought it for that pretty mountain down the road.

·
Registered
835 Posts
5'9" and 170lbs here.

After I bought my bike, the dealer's manager said I look like I belong in Yamaha's FZ09 commercials due to my gear / stature on the bike.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
+2 I'm about the same size around 5.9 and 180 in gear and the bike feels fine sitting on it.....however I contacted the dealer yesterday and they don't do test rides....so I will be buying it based off reviews and more importantly the input from the members on this site.
I swore I would never buy a bike without riding it first....well I guess I should not sware. Mine will be here mid month and be purchased without riding it.

Perhaps watching all the helmet cam vids has changed my mind.

Just wish mid month would hurry up and get here. Can't wait to throw a leg over and twist a big hand full and stand it up on the back wheel! Eee haa.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts