Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow riders,

I wanted to ask a question. Does your height or shape has anything to do with riding the bike into corners, I can't seem to take the turn in the corners the way others do, does height and shape has any thing to do with the leaning angle, I'm 6'7" and I hear it all the time that I'm too big for this bike, so let's say I get s bike that sits higher and fits my height , would it make it easier for me in corners , would I be able to lean the bike harder since I'm in more comfortable sitting and positing my self on that bike. I need an advise from the experts, would a bigger bike affect the way of riding and makes things easier than when you ride a bike that you re too tall to ride, like riding a a hayabusa for example or a R1200GS, would the leans on the turns using countersteering would be better than on the FZ09 since I'm little cramped up riding the Fz. Please advise.

·
Banned
486 Posts
im 6'2 just over 270 all gear and i take turns just fine, all stock btw
although if i hit the slightest bump in the road the bike starts bouncing and never recovers until i straighten it out

try lowering your front end to make the turn in quicker

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im 6'2 just over 270 all gear and i take turns just fine, all stock btw
although if i hit the slightest bump in the road the bike starts bouncing and never recovers until i straighten it out
Speaking of bounces, I almost ate it today going through the canyon and right in the middle of the road there was a big patch of wet sand , tail starts wiggling, I chopped the throttle and put my foot down and almost save myself and the bike from eating sh#%t and slide. BTW 6'2" and 6'7" is a big diffrennce.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The taller and heavier you are the greater the weight shift will be during hard braking and accelerating. With the OEM suspension's poor ability to handle that, it could be contributing to your problem; rebounding after extreme fork dive just as you're trying to bend it into the turn.

·
Registered
289 Posts
@OP - you have a large frame and "tall" profile.

Think of the old school experiment when you sat on an office chair and someone would spin you.
Pull your arms in and the chair will spin quickly.
Extend just one, relatively light arm, and the rotation decreases significantly.

The amount of "height" your frame is adding to the overall profile of the bike it affecting the rotational (orthogonal force) applied and is reducing its rate.

Sooooo......what does this mean.
A) Get low - make a deliberate point of pushing your chest into the tank and forcing your chin to the inside bar when cornering hard.
B) Get over the front - by doing 'A' you should be able to canter your weight and frame over the front which will aide in traction and stability.

Anyone can ride any bike to a certain degree - it all really depends on what you want to achieve.
Good luck mate.

·
Registered
612 Posts
5'9" @ 190 lbs here

·
Registered
204 Posts
5'6" and 145
We have a friend who is a suspension guru, and my husband was planning to take both of our bikes to him, but I'm debating on whether I want to. Mine feels great from what I can tell. Then again, I'm still a brand new owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
509 Posts
5'6" and 145
We have a friend who is a suspension guru, and my husband was planning to take both of our bikes to him, but I'm debating on whether I want to. Mine feels great from what I can tell. Then again, I'm still a brand new owner.

I'm about the same. Have you adjusted the stock suspension at all? If not, I'd be curious to see if you feel the same after hitting a few small bumps at 80-90. I had to put my suspension settings to full hard to calm it down a bit. I'll still be swapping for a Ninja shock ASAP.

Reactions: MrsZR7

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm about the same. Have you adjusted the stock suspension at all? If not, I'd be curious to see if you feel the same after hitting a few small bumps at 80-90. I had to put my suspension settings to full hard to calm it down a bit. I'll still be swapping for a Ninja shock ASAP.
No I haven't yet. Honestly, I've put less than 100 miles on the bike. Actually, less than 50 miles I'd say. I haven't taken it out of B mode yet, except when sitting in neutral in the driveway to just see the differences in throttle response. So I haven't been too fast on it yet (75 or so) and the worst road conditions yet have been due to the major construction on our highway system. I've been dodging potholes and uneven roads both in the car and the bike.

(By the way, I love the reason for your post edit! )

·
Registered
509 Posts
No I haven't yet. Honestly, I've put less than 100 miles on the bike. Actually, less than 50 miles I'd say. I haven't taken it out of B mode yet, except when sitting in neutral in the driveway to just see the differences in throttle response. So I haven't been too fast on it yet (75 or so) and the worst road conditions yet have been due to the major construction on our highway system. I've been dodging potholes and uneven roads both in the car and the bike.

(By the way, I love the reason for your post edit! )

I must be an over-achiever - I've had my bike a week and already have somewhere around 300-350 miles on her. I think 150 of that was the first night!

·
Registered
204 Posts
The weather here has been an issue. I don't have much experience with riding in the rain, and I don't want to take a chance with it on a bike I'm not used to yet.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
5'5", 118 lbs as of today, lovely hourglass shape, that doesn't help with cornering but you asked. :)

I have had no suspension or cornering issues. You might want to look into a suspension upgrade.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Handlebar position also helps with comfort and feel during cornering. However even after 3500 miles I am not as comfortable leaning the FZ9 anywhere near where I will lean my Aprilia DD 750. Perhaps with a better front end it would feel better but leaning over hard does not appear to be one of the FZ9's strengths. I would think with your size that you should be sitting back a bit on the seat and the bars should be rotated forward a bit. Perhaps you would be better off with some aftermarket bars.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The weather here has been an issue. I don't have much experience with riding in the rain, and I don't want to take a chance with it on a bike I'm not used to yet.

I'm just outside of Dallas, so I definitely understand weather. I've just fit rides in whenever it clears up for an hour or two... Been caught in the rain more than once - STILL had a huge grin on my face! :D

So, uh -yeah, how about them rider sizes and shapes???

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm just outside of Dallas, so I definitely understand weather. I've just fit rides in whenever it clears up for an hour or two... Been caught in the rain more than once - STILL had a huge grin on my face! :D

So, uh -yeah, how about them rider sizes and shapes???
We went to the Gap last year at the end of March and it rained ALL DAY LONG on our first day. First time I'd been there, AND my first time riding in the rain. Lol. That was interesting!
So now we leave again in just a few days and it's supposed to be kinda cloudy and crappy again this time.

As far as rider sizes and shapes?? I think I'm going to give it some time and experience with the bike and then see how I feel about it. Ari Henning isn't a heavy guy, and from the weight standpoint, his is the only complaint I've heard about the suspension. (Well.....the only complaint I've heard from a lighter built person, that is.)

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'm 190+ in full gear but even if I could drop 50lbs I'd still believe (IMHO) that upgrading the '09's suspension would still be essential to a safe and predictable riding experience.:cool:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm looking forward to riding it more this week - a LOT of riding will be done this week in fact I'm expecting a few hundred miles at least.
I'll probably make up my mind by the end of vacation, and be able to come up with some true thoughts and opinions of my own.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I'm looking forward to riding it more this week - a LOT of riding will be done this week in fact I'm expecting a few hundred miles at least.
I'll probably make up my mind by the end of vacation, and be able to come up with some true thoughts and opinions of my own.

I strongly suggest you find a vacant parking lot and spend 15 min practicing some Sudden Stops from 20-30 mph before your vacation formally begins. This will better prepare you to acclimate to the '09 & also get a better (first hand) understanding of the suspension that has been the focus of so much heated debate.:cool:

·
Registered
204 Posts
We did some of that the other night. I'm not sure if I'd gotten up to 20mph. The first thing I noticed was the brakes are much stronger than the ones on my ZR-7.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts