Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a low side at a CMP Track Day. Accelerating out of turn 3 my knee touched down, then the peg, then I felt the stator cover drag, then I hit the pavements and let go of the bike. I hit the sand and the bike rolled a few times. I was fortunate to only break my thumb and a few ribs, along with scrapes and bruises. At first the FZ looked ok. The more I take her apart the more I find broken, cracked, bent and leaking. I bought the bike back from the insurance company and came out 3900 ahead and an FZ that I know well. Of course not including how much my insurance will go up and all the time I will spend on parts and fixing her up. Good thing I met @Darf and @MK3Brent at the Track. Still had a great day even though I went down.

about

I'll post back up as I repair and buy parts. For now I'm working on:
-front and rear shocks
-radiator and hoses
-dash, kill switch
-head lamp brackets
-rear sets
-rear brake
- rear tail light
-seat lock
-drained all fluids
-instead of fixing dent in tank I'm gonna go with some cheap carbon fiber covers along with some chinese parts you see all over eBay.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I am in aus, but postage from me to you is cheaper than from you to me.
Ive got a stock tailight you can have for postage, and a stock shock you can have for postage as well.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Ive got a stock tailight you can have for postage, and a stock shock you can have for postage as well.
Oh yeah, I too have a stock tail light and stock shock in my bin-o-parts. Let me know if you want them, @Camp49 . No charge. :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much do you think those crash protectors helped to save the bike? I guess if the bike flips then they don't do much?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Keef, I ordered an integrated tail light off eBay that I will install with my tail delete after I bend her back. I'm also bending rear frame back about 4 mm so seat will fit.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just out of curiosity, how much do you think those crash protectors helped to save the bike? I guess if the bike flips then they don't do much?
@MK3Brent and I have the same OES sliders so thats the first thing he looked at. I'd say they helped a lot. Along with bar ends, radiator guard, an axle sliders. You can see by the photos the scrapes on the engine covers and sliders.

·
Registered
728 Posts
how much do you think those crash protectors helped to save the bike? I guess if the bike flips then they don't do much?
Yeah, would have been awesome if here was video of this. Pointy things dig into ground... could have cause the flipping??? I'm sure they helped on the asphalt, but as soon as earth or gravel comes into play... flippity flippage???

·
Registered
Batmobile
830 Posts
You didn't tell me you ended up with broken ribs, that must have been awful when you started to feel it! If you need help with anything let me know, I'm excited to see how this is going to turn out. Are you going dedicated track bike or are you going to keep street riding it?

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,972 Posts
Broken ribs suck. And there’s nothing they can do for them, either! Just “time”…

Last time I had broken ribs, somebody asked me if they hurt. I said, “Only when I breathe…” 😑

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You didn't tell me you ended up with broken ribs, that must have been awful when you started to feel it! If you need help with anything let me know, I'm excited to see how this is going to turn out. Are you going dedicated track bike or are you going to keep street riding it?
I thought I had bruised ribs but turned out to be fractured. Plenty of ice and 5-6 weeks of healing. As far as the FZ goes I'm not sure yet. I'm trying to figure how much money I want or have to spend.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I thought I had bruised ribs but turned out to be fractured. Plenty of ice and 5-6 weeks of healing. As far as the FZ goes I'm not sure yet. I'm trying to figure how much money I want or have to spend.
There’s a FZ for sale in Maryland for a good price. Already setup for the track somewhat. Over on the N2 forum.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,226 Posts
I have some cheap case savers on my MT 10 plus Shogun sliders. If your bike is at the point where they actually come in to use, it's not going to be good but for short money it's one of the few Chinese parts I have. I'm not seeing tremendous value in the $200 set.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts