Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I are planning a ride to Bangor, PA, to drop in on Nick @ StoltecMoto. She has ridden in Northeastern PA before, and loved it, but not as far down as Bangor. We're looking for some route suggestions. We're leaving from Kitchener, Ontario, and will be crossing the border in Niagara Falls. Please post up your favorite roads in Northwestern NY and Eastern PA :) If we could limit the total distance to 1000km (one way) that would be good (that's up to me though, using the routes you guys know).

Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This may help - motoroads : pagename - I've ridden many of these roads and the ratings are generally very reliable. Keep in mind this guy rides a KTM, not a supersport, so when he says twisty, he REALLY means it.

Looks like in general you will be north and east of the roads I know well, but one that looks not too far out of your way and I suggest you not miss is PA 87 between Williamsport and Scranton: twisty, but it is a state highway so nothing too extreme, plus good scenery and moderate traffic.

In general, watch out for truck traffic and general road degradation on all the PA roads north of I-80. Our recent natural gas development has definitely put a lot of strain on many of the secondary highways.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
My recommendation is to get through western NY as fast as possible. It's relatively flat and mostly farm land until you down south in the southern tier (the general Corning area). There are some bits and pieces that are 'ok', but they are hardly destination worthy IMO. I'd personally hightail it to north central PA and spend time where the riding is better. Corning is also a cool little town, so you guys can stop off for some food/lodging or check out the Corning museum of glass if you want a break from the road. Cool stuff.

Google has gotten lame with their last update, so here is a broken up general route I'd take. Try avoiding any of the cities like Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Reading, Allentown, Bethlehem, etc. You'll end up in too much traffic. This route is a decent view of the state, but isn't overly technical. it definitely blends travel with fun.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cor...28521!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40....!4m10!4m9!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!3e0

If you twist my arm, I might be coerced into a ride or two.:)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL... I'm sure it won't take much twisting ;) I agree we should try to superslab through the boring stuff. If we can push day 1, then stay somewhere and wake up refreshed for a fun ride on day 2 that would suit us just fine.

Great stuff so far, thanks! Keep it coming. :)

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
It's a hell of a haul for me but would like to go ride for sure. Might take a week of and get the F out of Florida when it's mid 90's in the morning and piss rain every other days! Got few buddies that I want to meet too from the FZ6R and FZ8 Central forum.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'm in! Haha

Sent from my hot secretary, dictated but not read

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is the typical speeding tolerance through NY and PA on the state highways? For example, up here we're usually safe up to about 20km/h over the limit.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
What is the typical speeding tolerance through NY and PA on the state highways? For example, up here we're usually safe up to about 20km/h over the limit.
My experience on NY interstates have not been good. I've gotten pulled over for going 7mph over (no ticket but still - a lot of times in the smaller towns these cops tend to be pretty bored).

I wouldn't go more than 10mph over the speed limit on roads like I-87 even though there will be little traffic and you will want to. There are cop pull off spots down that entire road and get particularly bad around the lake george area (if you're coming down that way).

·
Registered
45 Posts
My recommendation is to get through western NY as fast as possible. ... I'd personally hightail it to north central PA and spend time where the riding is better.
Well, if you take the 'south, then east' plan to extreme, you could just take US 219 south and enter PA near Bradford. Then, you have a ton of riding options between US 219 and US 15: PA 46, PA 120, PA 555, PA 144, PA 44, PA/CR 4001, PA 414, etc to then pick up Nick's suggestions east of 15. Only problem is there isn't a town as nice as Corning in that vicinity to stop over at, if that is what you are looking for.

doozerdave said:
We're planning for the week of August 11-15. Party at Nick's place! LOL
nothing big on the calendar that week... :cool:

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Well, if you take the 'south, then east' plan to extreme, you could just take US 219 south and enter PA near Bradford. Then, you have a ton of riding options between US 219 and US 15: PA 46, PA 120, PA 555, PA 144, PA 44, PA/CR 4001, PA 414, etc to then pick up Nick's suggestions east of 15. Only problem is there isn't a town as nice as Corning in that vicinity to stop over at, if that is what you are looking for.

nothing big on the calendar that week... :cool:
I see where this is going...:laughing9: This might be a good time to do an impromptu g2g...real laid back, of course. We're not fancy folk 'round these parts...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi guys,

Unfortunately we won't be able to make this trip after all... I had an unforeseen $1700 expense on my stupid car, and some other things amounting to it not being in the cards this summer. Hopefully next year we'll be able to get down south. I'm really looking forward to meeting all y'all. ;)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know... sucks big time. I would like to say something like maybe we can all meet at Jennings next April but I'm not planning that far ahead at the moment. Too much on my plate.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Funny you should mention that. I'm planning something soon for Jennings...
Awesome! Isn't Jennings closed in July and August because it's too damned hot?

We were at the track last week (Calabogie Motorsports Park ») and my bike failed noise test, miserably! 105dBA and the limit is 98! So I rode my girlfriend's Gixxer 750. I've ridden it a few times before, and really like it, so it was all good. The part I wanted to tell you about was the Q3's she's running since I know you liked them at the track. Fantastic track tire! I was running them pretty hard in the Advanced group and they took everything I threw at them. There were a few times when I would have pushed harder had I been on my own bike, of course, but I was pleasantly surprised. After the day, the edges look exactly like my D211GPA race tires. I'm pretty sure the soft edges on the Q3's are a hard race compound. :thumbsup: Going to the track (Grand Bend Raceway | Grand Bend Motorplex) this Friday too so I can play on my Ninja. haha... :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts