Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
my father and i planned a short term road trip to the alps. My father drove my old ER-6n and I drove my newly purchased MT-09. I was very surprised how well the MT-09 drove through the most famous passes in the Alps in the area Switzerland-Italy-Austria. The coldest stretch was at the Kaunertal glacier (Austria) with only 5°C (Kaunertaler Gletscher · 6524, Austria) and the warmest 34°C in Bolzano (Italy).

Here are some pictures of the trip:
Cloud Sky Mountain Natural landscape Highland

Cloud Sky Water Mountain Plant

Sky Mountain Cloud Natural landscape Slope

Sky Mountain Plant Natural landscape Vegetation

Plant Natural landscape Vegetation Grass Slope

Sky Cloud Mountain Natural landscape Landscape

Sky Cloud Mountain Ecoregion Natural landscape

Mountain Watercourse Slope Glacial landform Mountainous landforms

Cloud Sky Water Water resources Mountain

Cloud Sky Mountain Natural landscape Glacial landform

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,230 Posts
I've been on 3 rides in areas that are acknowledged as some of the best in the US. They were beautiful and super challenging. These pictures of your ride in the Alps are stunning. Those roads almost don't make sense for anything except a sport bike. My immediate reaction was, how can I get there and ride them. Seriously.....those pictures and roads are going to be stuck in my brain for a good while. My GF has been very supportive of my motorcycle vacations but I don't think I could get away with a European riding vacation.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wow! Great photos Asiate! I was stationed in Germany in the late 80's and got to visit Austria and Italy and is most certainly some of the most beautiful scenery I have seen, but I never got to ride there!:(

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
307 Posts
I've been on 3 rides in areas that are acknowledged as some of the best in the US. They were beautiful and super challenging. These pictures of your ride in the Alps are stunning. Those roads almost don't make sense for anything except a sport bike. My immediate reaction was, how can I get there and ride them. Seriously.....those pictures and roads are going to be stuck in my brain for a good while. My GF has been very supportive of my motorcycle vacations but I don't think I could get away with a European riding vacation.
Bring her along. She can hop on the train from city to city while you ride there. Gives her time to explore, shop, visit museums, etc... gives you time to ride.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,230 Posts
Bring her along. She can hop on the train from city to city while you ride there. Gives her time to explore, shop, visit museums, etc... gives you time to ride.
I'm thinking that wouldn't placate her. As you know from ECR22, I spend most of my time riding. I could visit Europe for a million other things to see also. There are so many historical and cultural aspects that it almost makes me sad to not be able to do it. I need to hit the lottery so I could spend a year or so doing both things.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
307 Posts
I'm thinking that wouldn't placate her. As you know from ECR22, I spend most of my time riding. I could visit Europe for a million other things to see also. There are so many historical and cultural aspects that it almost makes me sad to not be able to do it. I need to hit the lottery so I could spend a year or so doing both things.
Well... you could do a little bit of both, or just one and not the other... either way it's still better than not doing it at all?

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. This Trip was amazing and we had a lot of fun. I would even say that on this tour we learned to ride a motorcycle.

Spectacular! Those roads and the scenery take motorcycling to a whole other level.
Asiate, how many days were you guys on the road and where did you stay during the trip?
It was a 7 day trip and roughly 2500km. The first night we spent at the 'Bodensee' Switzerland in the vacation home of my father's boss.

After that we set out to drive through our first passes. We drove through the 'Klausenpass', 'Sustenpass', 'Grimselpass', 'Furkapass', 'Gotthardpass' and the 'Nufenenpass'. the first day ended at the hotel-restaurant Grimsel.

the second day we took the route back to the 'Nufenenpass' and headed for the 'San-Bernardino-Pass' and 'Berninapass'. Here we had to drive a huge detour, because the police has held a pass road completely closed.
We had to pass through 'Bormio' and had booked a room in 'Sondrio'. It was a farm called 'Alloggio del contadino'.

The third day we decided to drive through the 'Passo del Vivione', which we did not regret at all, the roads were bad and narrow, but more fun, hardly any cars. Then we drove up to the 'Umbrailpass', which we also drove down and up again. Then the 'Stilfserjoch', 'Reschenpass' and the Kaunertal glacier road.
We also slept in the Kaunertal, had booked an apartment via Airbnb.

The fourth day we drove the 'Timmelsjoch', 'Jaufenpass', 'Grödner Joch', 'Sellajoch', 'Karerpass' and had booked an apartment in Bolzano via Airbnb.

The fifth day we planned a little less distance but had to bypass the 'Staller Sattel' because it was closed, which was also a long detour.
On this day we took back the 'Karerpass' and drove the 'Passo die Giau' around the Dolomites.
We booked a hotel room which was on the other side of the 'Staller Sattel', which we could not drive through. The hotel was called
Alpengasthof Pichler', the room had the most comfortable bed I have lain on.

On the sixth day we had to drive slowly back towards Switzerland and on that day we took the 'Kühtaisattel', 'Hahntenjoch' and the 'Albergpass'.
Our destination that day was a hotel in Landeck. When we arrived they told us that they were overbooked and looked for another hotel for us, where we got a room upgade, the hotel was called 'Hotel Enzian'.

The destination on the last day was again the vacation home in Bregenz, but instead we took the 'Bielerhöhe' and had lunch in Lindau.

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
Thank you Asiate for this excellent travelogue .Good eating and lodging only adds to the joy of a trip like this. This trip could only be described as "premium sport touring" and I hope you realize how fortunate you are to be able to share this with your father.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yu can rent bike in for example Milano, and ride on Alps (example passo delo Stelvio), defenetly need to check Grossglockner (Austria), adriatic coast (Croatia), Spain. During summer Bavaria. Alot of culture and beautiful scenaries. It is not that expensive, for 10 days you can go with 5k€/$ all included and not be on cheap side.

Bevare of speeding in Switzerland (
).

Nice pictures and trip.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts