Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike: FZ09 / New
Weather Conditions: Sunny, slight breeze, 8 - 12 degrees Celisius
Road Conditions: Post winter, dry, gravel in spots; generally poor to average.
Background: Test drove bike in FZ09 in December. Decided to sell F800r and purchase the FZ09. Purchased in March.

Break-In Method: Motoman varied; ran bike through 30%, 60%, 90% of red line followed by decel through 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. After completion applied the same method to 1st, 5th gear, and 6th (only to 60%).

Maintenance: Oil change/ filter change @ 50km.
Note: Oil was foggy green / Drain plug was on VERY tight. Rode another 100km after change.

Drive Mode Notes:

B-Mode: Very managable trottle response. Perfect if your feeling chilled.

Std.-Mode This is the mode I would keep it in most of the time. I don't find the throttle snatchy at all; but maybe that's because I'm coming from the F800r which had a very similar throttle.

A-Mode I could see how this could get you in a little trouble. It's not overly beyond the std-mode, but its definately noticable. I had the back tire slip slightly in the mid top of 2nd (could be the new tires). The front tire came up slightly a few times...but I had no problem keeping the front tire down (wheelies are afraid of me...not the other way around). Yep - it'll wheelie (power wheelie), but it's not going to flip you like an old hayabusa, or super-duke. 3rd gear wheelies? - sure, with some clutch work or really pulling back.

Brakes: Meh, I wish it had ABS....the brakes are like my old F650GS. The problem with brakes like these on a torquey hooligan machine is that you'll lock the back tire up frequently which is absolute shite for your tires. Don't get me wrong - they work, they're just not the best.

Sound: Empire Strikes Back Snowspeeder x Jetplane. I love it....interesting how the sound gets bigger in Std and A-mode. Don't know if I'd put an aftermarket exhaust on this bike - don't think it needs it (speaking purely for sound).

Suspension: Not bad. I hit a little dip in the rode at XXX/hr. which made the bike bounce a bit. But for roads around here - the bike is great (the roads here suck).

Comfort: Seat is great, can't see it being an issue even for really long rides. The wind is a little bad at high speeds - but that's to be expected.

Gauges/controls: I love how the digital gauge numbers change from 30 to 110 so quickly:). The horn is too close to the signal lights. Also, if they come out with an aftermarket Tach, I'd put in on...I like a clear view of the RPMs.

Overall Verdict: I love this bike, but it's demanding (I say that in the most positive way). I like demanding bikes that make you hold-on, keep you on the edge - I mean...isn't that why we do this? The brakes could be better, sure, but they're manageble. The drive modes are what really makes this bike great...it's like having three bikes in one. At this point, I can't see myself riding anything else for a long time.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The way the horn button location is in relation to the signal switch is, IMO, the worst thing about the bike, because you can't change it. I find myself hitting the horn when I mean to cancel a turn signal quite often. Great ride report.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts