Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why magazine said that fz-09 have ride by wire throttle, its a standard throttle by cable, what's the error???

·
Registered
558 Posts
Nope, it's ride by wire. The cables actuate a potentiometer that takes your input and modifies it, then sends it to a servo that opens and closes the throttle bodies, to give you your three throttle modes. How would you get the 3 riding modes with a regular cable actuated throttle?

·
Registered
768 Posts
It is a ride by wire system.
The cables work a rheostat like gizmo and that tells the computer what you want the throttle to do.
It then figures out the best way to do that and works the throttle bodies with a servo.

Reactions: Desert Rat

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And lightened the throttle with the sensor in the housing....

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I don't know, another sensor is just another thing that could go bad. If you have ever had a steering column position sensor start to go in a car or truck, you will know what I mean. It's not a lot of fun when you are going through a long sweeping turn then all of a sudden the power steering pump gets a false signal. Suddenly you go from normal power steering fluid pressure to maximum pressure and it scares the crap out of you. I can't imagine a throttle housing sensor going bad and killing or max'ing the throttle as you are riding. Kills the fuel just as you are trying to merge on the highway, or max's the fuel just as you are smoothing going through a sharp turn, yikes!!!!

So a couple of cables to cut down the number of sensors is fine by me, lol.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't know, another sensor is just another thing that could go bad. If you have ever had a steering column position sensor start to go in a car or truck, you will know what I mean. It's not a lot of fun when you are going through a long sweeping turn then all of a sudden the power steering pump gets a false signal. Suddenly you go from normal power steering fluid pressure to maximum pressure and it scares the crap out of you. I can't imagine a throttle housing sensor going bad and killing or max'ing the throttle as you are riding. Kills the fuel just as you are trying to merge on the highway, or max's the fuel just as you are smoothing going through a sharp turn, yikes!!!!

As an owner of another Yamaha YCCT bike (SuperTenere) that has exhibited terrifying non-cable throttle symptoms that cannot be diagnosed/fixed, I too would want more cables and fewer sensors. My Tenere has repeatedly elected to give itself cruise control (mine is a '12 that doesn't actually have cruise) such that I can do 50mph without touching the throttle, and worse, cannot close the throttle. It has never accelerated purely on it's own, but it's still unnerving. More so that I have been able to turn off the bike, start it back up, and everything is fine.

I could never, ever trust the electronics on the new R1 or similar bikes. What happens when one day, 10 years down the road, the IMU fails without warning? Someone will argue that you'd get a warning light, but the reality is that at least with the TPS and similar sensors, as long as the sensor is reading within a normal range (WOT to closed throttle), the computer won't consider it a fault. It's still sending a signal that could make sense. Don't get me wrong, I love that bikes are getting safer, but I think it's a bad idea to do something that would cause a crash on any normal bike and count on the bike's computer to keep you safe.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts

What are you talking about?

At this point we have cables mechanically coupled to a sensor that is electrically connected to the ECU that is then electrically connected to the fuel injectors.

If you removed the 2 throttle cables and moved the sensor to the throttle grip, that would significantly simplify the system by removing a unnecessary mechanical link (the cables) that can fail, get sticky and otherwise get sloppy and wear out.

·
Registered
558 Posts

At this point we have cables mechanically coupled to a sensor that is electrically connected to the ECU that is then electrically connected to the fuel injectors.

If you removed the 2 throttle cables and moved the sensor to the throttle grip, that would significantly simplify the system by removing a unnecessary mechanical link (the cables) that can fail, get sticky and otherwise get sloppy and wear out.
^^This.
You wouldn't be adding a sensor, you're just moving it to the handlebar. I don't understand why they didn't do it that way honestly, unless putting a return spring on the throttle tube would make the switchgear too bulky or something.

Reactions: Spottedfrog

·
Registered
619 Posts
^^This.
You wouldn't be adding a sensor, you're just moving it to the handlebar. I don't understand why they didn't do it that way honestly, unless putting a return spring on the throttle tube would make the switchgear too bulky or something.
If they had done this, then things like the G2 throttle tamer wouldn't work the way it does today. There's also some wisdom in putting the sensor under the airbox, where it won't be out in the elements as much.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If they had done this, then things like the G2 throttle tamer wouldn't work the way it does today. There's also some wisdom in putting the sensor under the airbox, where it won't be out in the elements as much.
I've thought about that, but all they would have to do is make different throttle maps to nullify the G2. There are many ways to seal the sensor and pointer. I think they went the way they did due to cost and complexity. Imagine having to jam a sensor into that switch cluster the way it is...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Most every new car on the road is drive by wire these days got the throttle... It's a proven technology, at this point, and really not that big of a concern.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can I put the R6 throttle handle bar assembly on my new 2018 to shorten up the very long full throttle twist it has with the stock one. I did this on my FZ07 and it was soooooo much shorted twist and worked great....pease advise . Thanjs

·
Registered
4,444 Posts

Throttle cables fail, get sticky and otherwise get sloppy and wear out???? Sorry but that just falls under bad maintenance. In all my years of riding and all the different bikes I have owned, I have never ever had a throttle cable fail. The only throttle cables that showed even the slightest sign of getting sticky was on the old dirt bikes that took a few minutes to fix buy lubricating the throttle cables.

And yes you can move the throttle position sensor to the throttle grip, but now you have to add a mechanical return spring io the throttle grip assembly. So how much are you really saving? and is it a good idea to move the TPS to a spot where it is more exposed to the elements. I kind of like the idea of the TPS being tucked away under the fuel tank and air intake housing, where it is way less exposed to the weather.

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
Can I put the R6 throttle handle bar assembly on my new 2018 to shorten up the very long full throttle twist it has with the stock one. I did this on my FZ07 and it was soooooo much shorted twist and worked great....pease advise . Thanjs
If you did this to an FZ07 how would it be any different to do an 09?
What is the question here? Just go ahead and do what you did before. Problem solved!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I wonder if there a way to tweak the potentiometer ratio between idle - WOT. That would eliminate any complaints about twitchiness if you could control those butterflies a bit more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts