Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TL;DR = Friend aggressively revved my '09 while it was still warming up. . .What kind of damage occurred in my sweet 849cc triple powerplant? Will it be an oil burner from here on out?

So I had just started up my bike (~1400 miles on it; Last oil change I put Rotella T6 5w-40 in it; it was a colder night than usual maybe 47 degrees; Coolant temp reading still said Lo) while some friends check it out. Less than a minute (maybe 20 seconds) go by and, while I'm talking to one friend, out of nowhere other dude comes up and revs the engine hard a few times. I'm not mad but mostly concerned about my 9er. After all, the manual says FOR MAXIMUM ENGINE LIFE, NEVER REV THE ENGINE WHILE COLD! Has all the work I just put in carefully breaking her in gone to waste? Will she be an oil burner for the rest of her life? I hope not because I really wanted to keep her and cherish her forever!

Does the aluminum construction of the engine makes it more susceptible to damage in cases like this? Would the thinner-when-cold 5w-40 Rotella T6 have been able to circulate through the engine before the incident occurred? Should I trade her in for an FJ-09?

Thanks that is all.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You asked about 12 questions in one post lol. I will answer the major one. More than likely, NO damage has been done to the engine. Just don't make a habit of it. Keep your friends away from it, and never let them ride it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Trade it for FJ. It's broke now.

seriously though - my buddy did the exact same thing, I was like WTF are you doing? People sometimes..

Reactions: mralandy

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
My friend would be bleeding for the rest of his life. Seriously, I would go apeshit if any of my friends did that, but they are all seasoned mechanics, so no one that I run with would do something as stupid as that. I doubt any damage was done, but WTF.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Next time you see your buddy, you should jokingly laugh about how cool it was that he revved the shit out of your cold engine, and finish the joke by jackknife power bombing his coin purse with your moto boot.

That way, every time he attempts to pee, he gets a reminder of what he shouldn't do when he touches someone's bike again.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You asked about 12 questions in one post lol. I will answer the major one. More than likely, NO damage has been done to the engine. Just don't make a habit of it. Keep your friends away from it, and never let them ride it.
Agreed, it's like a single drinking bender weekend will probably have little effect on your long term health but 1000 weekends of heavy drinking will probably not be good for you later on.

Reactions: mralandy

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Agreed, it's like a single drinking bender weekend will probably have little effect on your long term health but 1000 weekends of heavy drinking will probably not be good for you later on.
Is that a shot at me? Dick!

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
612 Posts
Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
You need to carry some preventive equipment with you from now on. Anytime your "friend" gets near your bike again, whip out a small sword and cut his closest to the throttle hand off..........AT THE SHOULDER. Should solve that issue.......unless he reaches for the throttle with his other hand. Repeat if necessary! :cool:

Seriously though, I simply cannot believe someone thinks they have the right to fondle/touch/sit on/whatever, someone else's bike without asking first.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
keep the FZ, trade in your friend.
+1 no big loss to lose that so called friend.

What you have to ask yourself is, how would he feel if you did the same thing to his new car?

If the answer is yes, then maybe there is some hope for him and he had a moment of utter stupidity.

If the answer is no, then never, ever, turn you back on him once you start your bike.

And if he ever does it again, I am sure more than one 09 member would be your alibi.....

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Your bike is fine. Like others said, just don't continue doing it.

Your "friend" is either ignorant or an *******.

If he has no clue and/or no respect about other people's stuff, then you would be better off without him in your social circle.

He is the same sort of "friend" that would back his 4x4 into the side of your bike and knock it over and then drive off without apologizing and offering to repair the damage he caused.

According to Jimmy Kimmel, today is national "unfriend" day so it seems quite appropriate to unfriend the butthead today!

Reactions: CD599

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Next time you see your buddy, you should jokingly laugh about how cool it was that he revved the shit out of your cold engine, and finish the joke by jackknife power bombing his coin purse with your moto boot.

That way, every time he attempts to pee, he gets a reminder of what he shouldn't do when he touches someone's bike again.
I literally laughed out loud when I read this...:)

in any event, your friend is a bone head and should learn that its NEVER OK to touch someones bike unless explicitly told they can....you just dont do it..

but your bike should be fine, just dont let that douche canoe near it again.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've always been concerned/cautious about hard driving/revving when the engine is cold, but my buddy is a good reference point for reality. He has a very high performance turbo'd car with an engine that has well over 200K on it. He warmed it up in his driveway one day and we went out and not 1/2 mile down the road he's banging off the limiter sliding sideways around the corner. I asked him and his answer was basically once there is heat coming out of the vents, you aren't going to hurt the motor. I'd like to disagree, but he has two cars that he drives the ever living $hit out of and they run like clockwork. I tend to believe, deep in my obsessive-compulsive heart, that engines are built to take way more abuse than anybody who thinks about the damage a cold rev does will ever do to them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Had a BOSS do this to me at work, but worse. I used to have a carbed Suzuki. Would always keep the key in it at work. Boss-man (claims he races his stretched hayabusa with nitrous at the drag strip) decides to try and start my bike. Well it doesn't stay running. What was his solution? Start it again, but this time with the throttle pinned. ~12.5k rpms and wasn't running more than 2 seconds. Never left my key in it again...

Little side note: it doesn't matter whether you ride a scooter, or a racebike don't touch other peoples shit. Isn't that something you learn before 12 years of age? Now the whole friend thing is different. Who cares if he revved it. 10 dollars says if you would have expressed some anger or pissed offness towards him, it would never happen again!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I literally used to do this all the time in the parking lot at school when I was in high school with my SV 650. I thought I was cool :cool: I had no idea it was bad for the engine. I never seemed to have problems with the bike though. Moral of the story, I won't be doing that on my college campus with my 09 anymore :confused1:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Would be interesting to pull the cams off that SV to see what the bearing surfaces look like...

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
... and the cam lobes... Had a friend with a gen1 500 ninja who would rev the bike on cold startup to warm it up quick. We popped the valve cover off one day to have a look... the cam lobes were all scratched up, like they were drug on the ground!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts