Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
These reviews are quite positive, and neither complains at length about the suspension (in contrast to the MCN review). Both do point out the notchy throttle response. Generally, they are full of superlatives. Thanks for finding these reviews.

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
I know the question of the three different modes and whether or not there will be different power available with the modes or whether it well be a "throttle response" type setup.....well, here is your answer roughly translated from the Italian writeup.

MT- 09, the D -Mode, a system that allows you to choose from three different mappings of the unit : STD mode (standard), "A" and "B". The standard ( STD ) is the most versatile , a middle ground between the "b" for the town and slippery and the "A " or mapping more direct and responsive to rider input . Not that he too feels the need, but the MT- 09 does not have traction control , nor has maps with limited power. The three maps are all full power with different ratings from the more civilized urban "B" , the aggressive and responsive "A".

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
And here is some more info relating to the suspension............

We also liked the suspension, able to withstand the impact with the terrible roads in Croatia. We only slightly hardened the preload of the fork and mono , speaking also on the return in the same way , to get a better response in fast driving on bumpy . The behavior of the Bridgestone original equipment ( the excellent S20 ) always warned us well in advance of the limit of the estate, both front and rear . The chassis of the MT on the other hand gives a great feeling , always feel on the hands adherence with the asphalt and you're still in the fold before it has been designed . If you wish, you can reach the 51 ° inclination , a limit really crazy even on the track. Much agility does not go to the expense of stability , which remains excellent even at very high speeds . At 200 times the three-cylinder Iwata runs like a spindle, without any lightening of the front wheel .

W

·
0 Posts
Tire pressure is going to likely be more of a factor with this frame. BTW I came across this at visordown and I think it's a very good description of the gameplan for the FZ9:

"Many will argue that a streetbike needs to have character and soul, but I reckon it’s simpler than this. A streetbike needs just a few simple, yet key, ingredients. It needs bottom end power, instant power, and lots of it. How often do you go over 100mph on a streetbike? Hardly ever, if at all. It’s impractical as well as bloody uncomfortable. A top whack of 130mph is more than enough, but it must get there (or at least to 100mph) pretty damn fast. Also important is a decent chassis. Gone are the days of the wobbly chassis being acceptable on a street bike. When even a cruiser comes with radial brakes and inverted forks, streetbikes can’t ignore the current fashion trends. Which leads neatly to the third crucial factor: these bikes have to look good. Image is everything in an unfaired bike. Riding a streetbike is even more of a statement than riding a sportsbike."

Read more: Honda CB1000R UK road test review - Road Tests: First Rides - Visordown

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
I know...........I have no idea what that means, I just posted the translation! :)

My best guess is that the bike front end is very stable at 200 kilometers per hour...but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they didn't seem to be bothered too much by the abrupt throttle response......but then again, being italian they're rarely at part throttle.

the motoblog review posted gear ratios at the end. from one of the youtube onboard videos, 1st gear seems to be good for about 60mph, so:

1st - 60mph
2nd - 80
3rd - 99
4th - 116
5th - 134
6th - 154

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, seems like they really like it! They said it has a lot of personality......something I am really looking for in a bike. They also said it accelerates like a demon above 4k rpm! Sounds good to me:encouragement:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts