Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all - Here are some quick notes on the mods I completed just before this riding season in the NE.

Vcyclenut flash - I previously had Nick's Stoltec flash on my FZ for about the past year. Then I got a new exhaust and wanted a new flash to go with it. I opted to go for Stock B mode, STD = Smooth, and A= Quick Turn. This is a fantastic flash. The Stoltec flash was smooth, but I feel the smooth mode on the Vcycle flash is even more steady for maintenance mode , in turn throttle. WOT rips, especially with the quick turn mode.

Sonic Springs @ 90Kg with 7wt Silkolene oil - I probably weigh about 195 with gear and think the 90Kg springs are perfect. For the money, I can't believe I waited so long to swap these springs. I did a ZX10r shock swap last year, and now with the new springs up front the bike feels very well balanced and more confidence inspiring. I'm very happy with this budget suspension setup - however it just goes to show the potential this bike has. I am now inclined to spend more on a cartridge setup and good rear shock - eventually. :)

Pro-taper Carmichael bars - Trimmed about 1 inch off each end and used new progrip grips. Have you ever felt that the FZ was a little awkward feeling when cornering aggressively ? This fixed that issue for me. It is subtle, but the lower bars pull you closer to the front end and give (me) a more connected and natural feeling when in the turns.

Ixil L3X Exhaust - This full pipe is solid and has a great look considering it was about 5 bills when I got it. With DBKs in, the tone is lower then stock and just slightly louder, with the DBKs out, the Ixil rips. The sound is low, loud and amazing. Earplugs are a must ( i alway wear them anyway)

Overall I couldn't be more happy with these mods and the improved feel of the bike.

I would like to get Kev's O2 controller to take the last little bit of abruptness out of the fueling as well as stainless lines, and eventually a full on suspension kit but I am quite happy for now with how she is running. :D

I would like to thank Nick at StolTech moto and Dave at Vcyclenut for being patient with my questions and offering great advice and service.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice mods. How much compression braking does the Vcyclenut flash remove? I've been thinking about doing this mod, but don't want to lose any of my compression braking. I'm used to modulating compression braking with the clutch to control slides etc., if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have the Vcyclenut flash and it is SMOOTH!!! Compression braking is much more predictable and can be used without the clutch at all. I can drive smoother in A mode with the "quick throttle" mod than I could drive in standard or B mode with the stock flash. It is worth it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Engine braking probably not as strong as in stock form but it is still very much there and usable after flash. It's all about throttle control and the flash helps with the incremental application of accel, steady , or decel .

I wanted to also thank Marthy for his advise too ! You guys rock .

Sent from far outer space

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey all - Here are some quick notes on the mods I completed just before this riding season in the NE.

Vcyclenut flash - I previously had Nick's Stoltec flash on my FZ for about the past year. Then I got a new exhaust and wanted a new flash to go with it. I opted to go for Stock B mode, STD = Smooth, and A= Quick Turn. This is a fantastic flash. The Stoltec flash was smooth, but I feel the smooth mode on the Vcycle flash is even more steady for maintenance mode , in turn throttle. WOT rips, especially with the quick turn mode.

Sonic Springs @ 90Kg with 7wt Silkolene oil - I probably weigh about 195 with gear and think the 90Kg springs are perfect. For the money, I can't believe I waited so long to swap these springs. I did a ZX10r shock swap last year, and now with the new springs up front the bike feels very well balanced and more confidence inspiring. I'm very happy with this budget suspension setup - however it just goes to show the potential this bike has. I am now inclined to spend more on a cartridge setup and good rear shock - eventually. :)

Pro-taper Carmichael bars - Trimmed about 1 inch off each end and used new progrip grips. Have you ever felt that the FZ was a little awkward feeling when cornering aggressively ? This fixed that issue for me. It is subtle, but the lower bars pull you closer to the front end and give (me) a more connected and natural feeling when in the turns.

Ixil L3X Exhaust - This full pipe is solid and has a great look considering it was about 5 bills when I got it. With DBKs in, the tone is lower then stock and just slightly louder, with the DBKs out, the Ixil rips. The sound is low, loud and amazing. Earplugs are a must ( i alway wear them anyway)

Overall I couldn't be more happy with these mods and the improved feel of the bike.

I would like to get Kev's O2 controller to take the last little bit of abruptness out of the fueling as well as stainless lines, and eventually a full on suspension kit but I am quite happy for now with how she is running. :D

I would like to thank Nick at StolTech moto and Dave at Vcyclenut for being patient with my questions and offering great advice and service.
What do you mean by A mode being "quick turn"? and I've looked at the pro taper bars. Did you have a hard time re-installing the controls?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Davinci thanx for the info. I have been waiting for a cheaper fork fix as I only need to do away with the fork dive when braking. I'm also going to look into the Carmichael bars. If Motomania sees this post please opine on these solutions. Whereas there are many knowledgeable people on this forum I have faith in his encylopedic knowledge.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you mean by A mode being "quick turn"? and I've looked at the pro taper bars. Did you have a hard time re-installing the controls?
Quick Turn is a throttle mapping that applies 100% of throttle with only about 3/4 of a twist. Similar results can be had by changing out your throttle tube and altering the shape of the cam that pulls the cables. But this is a drive by wire bike, so why not use the ECU to do it for you :)

I asked for this mapping to be applied over the stock A mode.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Quick Turn is a throttle mapping that applies 100% of throttle with only about 3/4 of a twist. Similar results can be had by changing out your throttle tube and altering the shape of the cam that pulls the cables. But this is a drive by wire bike, so why not use the ECU to do it for you :)

I asked for this mapping to be applied over the stock A mode.
That's awesome! I'll have to look into that. And how does the standard mode compare to the B mode now?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Before I installed the Pro-Taper bars on my FZ 09 I sanded both ends of the bars. Using 150 grit sand paper it took me less than 5 minutes to sand both sides by hand. I only sanded the knurled section down and removed the paint where the throttle turns. After sanding the knurled end the clutch lever bracket slid right on. I didn't need to sand the knurled end completely smooth, just had to take a little off the top. Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle Auto part Motorcycle accessories

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed - I used the kind of emery cloth that is for plumbing which comes on a long strip, and make quick work of the knurled side.

Before I installed the Pro-Taper bars on my FZ 09 I sanded both ends of the bars. Using 150 grit sand paper it took me less than 5 minutes to sand both sides by hand. I only sanded the knurled section down and removed the paint where the throttle turns. After sanding the knurled end the clutch lever bracket slid right on. I didn't need to sand the knurled end completely smooth, just had to take a little off the top. View attachment 15603

·
Registered
525 Posts
Visited the Sonic Springs site. Priced at about $84 apiece. Do I need two springs or just one? I know I have two fork legs but only one has certain components. Having thought this out just now it seems both legs have springs. At the same time the site sells the springs individually. ??? Remain.

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
Glad to hear you got things sorted out. What exhaust did you go with?

Visited the Sonic Springs site. Priced at about $84 apiece. Do I need two springs or just one? I know I have two fork legs but only one has certain components. Having thought this out just now it seems both legs have springs. At the same time the site sells the springs individually. ??? Remain.
$84 buys you one SET of springs...one for each fork. Damping is only handled in one leg, but there are springs in both.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: Stoltec Moto
1 - 14 of 14 Posts