Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. I am posting here today to review the Matris SD-R Steering Damper. Its an alternative to the one that GPR makes. I have not tried the GPR damper but didn't like the idea of raising the handlebars and getting a longer clutch cable/brake hoses and messing with my windshield e.t.c.
I purchased the Matrix damper from PJ's Parts. They're customer service people are really nice and they answered all my questions before i made the purchase. Even though they had to special order the part from Italy i had it within less than 2 weeks. Shipping was also free! It came nicely boxed with instructions including hardware. Only took about 15minutes to install the thing and i like the way it looks. It didn't need any retro fitting as the GPR damper would've.
It has 16 adjustment settings and having it set to 5 i have yet to experience a death wobble! I ride the bike hard in A-mode and even when the front wheel comes off the ground the damper does its job.
I deffinately recommend the Matrix SD-R.
I included some pics so you can see what it looks like.
Cheers!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Don't like feeding steering damper forces thru the tank to the frame.... Don't like that at all!

Reactions: BMcEL

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Don't like feeding steering damper forces thru the tank to the frame.... Don't like that at all!
Yeah, that bothers me as well... should be mounted directly to the frame. I know they want it out in the open to show it off and to make it easily accessible, but mounting it to the tank makes me cringe...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
have there been documented issues with mounting steering stabilizers to the tank are are you guys just nervous based on the tank not having any type of structural properties (for lack of a better term)?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'm sure the tank is strong enough to handle the mild damping force, but for me:
Tying steering to the fuel tank just seems wrong, even if the engineering is sound.
The tank is rubber mounted, so there is a bit of precision lost.
Now you have something else to remove when you do routine maintenance.
It's a FUEL TANK! ACK!

Just my HO ...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
how much is this - i went on PJ parts but it's listed as $0.00

·
Registered
158 Posts
how much is this - i went on PJ parts but it's listed as $0.00
Don`t quote me on this but I checked when this thread was originally posted and it was around $500. If they are the same price I would probably go with the GPR, I hate how you have to move your bars but still prefer it to the mounting system on this one.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Don`t quote me on this but I checked when this thread was originally posted and it was around $500. If they are the same price I would probably go with the GPR, I hate how you have to move your bars but still prefer it to the mounting system on this one.
i sent PJ a note and also asked about any concerns related to the gas tank mount - curious on their response.

If it's that expensive i agree with you - GPR seems to be the better way albeit a bit of a bigger pain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts