Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The right hand 09 mirror mounts to the brake master cylinder with reverse threads. I’m going to try a Nissin radial MC, it came with a mirror mount but it has normal threads.

The little I’ve ridden my 09 so far I like the stock mirrors. I don’t want to use bar end mirrors because they are further from my line of sight looking forward and they are more vulnerable to damage etc. At first I thought I’d convert the Nissin mount to reverse threads with a Heli Coil but wow those are hard to find in metric left hand. Anyone have a good solution? Here’s my ideas, don’t know which to go for:

Find a mount/MC clamp compatible with the Nissin that has reverse threads. Do you know of a source for one?

Reverse thread HeliCoil type insert, do you know of one?

Convert the mirror to normal threads? How?

The 09 mirror design prevents a left hand mirror from being used on the right, so that is out.

Buy a pair of mirrors for another bike or after market that have normal threads on both sides, I guess most do. I’d prefer black and non-round, wider than high. Where should I start shopping for those?

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Look on eBay for left handed thread mounts like you posted above. They are $4-5.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think most bikes use reverse threads for the right-side mirror, that way if the mirror hits something (for example, while lane-splitting) the mirror is loosened rather than tightened and thus the mirror just moves backwards. If a normal-threaded mirror is used on the right side and the mirror hits something, the force of the hit will be transferred right into the handlebar, pushing the handlebar backwards and possibly causing the rider to lose control of the bike.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yamaha is the only one, in my 45 years of riding experience...

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 09 mirror design prevents a left hand mirror from being used on the right, so that is out.
Not true! Well, sort of. I installed an R6 radial m/c and had the same issue since I wanted to keep the stock mirrors. Just order another left mirror and disconnect the elbow portion from the mirror shaft. Do the same on your stock right mirror and swap 'em out. Bingo! Easy peasy.

--David

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks David, I didn't think of that, good to know. For people wanting to do your fix an 09 left mirror can probably be bought from a forum member that has switched to bar-end mirrors.

Just a little while ago a forum member that has an extra reverse thread version of the mount in my original photo sent me a private message, I'm buying it from him.

Thanks to all that have answered.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you found some kind of union adaptor for a hydrocarbon high pressure cyinder (propane or acetelyne) ... You may get lucky, they are all reverse thread, not sure how pretty hardware will be, might get lucky with brass matching forks and just use a standard one for symetry on other mirror.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts