Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to mount a USB plug to the bike.

The handlebar screws simply won’t budge, even used PB blaster and waited.

Are these screws reverse threaded by chance?
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,416 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,308 Posts
I can't say I've ever had a problem removing a handlebar clamp. And they are definitely not reverse thread! 😂 Maybe for some reason someone put Loctite on it, which really isn't necessary. Or maybe the same gorilla at the Yamaha factory who installs oil filters also puts the handlebar on! In any case, a quality hex wrench should be able to get that sucker loose without damaging the screw. (Don't use the thing that came in the tool kit...)

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Use a good hex socket and a power bar. Mine weren't super tight.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT09
8 Posts
Definitely not reverse threaded! I pulled my clamp yesterday to flip my risers around, and all 4 bolts of mine were actually various stages of tight. 16 Ft-lbs is the torque spec on those.
Never did get those risers flipped around either. Riser bolts at the bottom of the triple tree, which I think are only supposed to be about 30 Ft-lbs, were on the tight side. Those I think are loc-tited

·
Registered
524 Posts
Try spraying some liquid wrench or PB Blaster in there. Let it settle. Or stop skipping arm day lol

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
I use impact drivers as a last resort. The reason being that you have to hold the driver while you hammer it - you can guess the rest.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,416 Posts
the impact driver has always worked really well for me, the impact shocks the threads and usually breaks anything that has bonded it in place

its a great tool to have in the tool box and
Mine is ancient and doesn't have the 3/8 socket end. I guess it's time for an upgrade.
I think I bought it to take apart CZ cases. Probably only a few people even know what a CZ is.

·
Registered
260 Posts
CZ kinda absorbed Jawa back in the day. They made street bikes, but the abandoned them around the sixties or seventies to focus on motocross. I don't think CZ is all that obscure. They were making bike up in the '90's. Even the Jawa name was still in use in the '90's, though CZ were the ones building the bikes since before the '60's. CZ made good firearms also. CZ still exists, they just don't build bikes and guns anymore. They make forklifts now, and maybe some tools? Not sure on that last part.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Definitely not reverse threaded! I pulled my clamp yesterday to flip my risers around, and all 4 bolts of mine were actually various stages of tight. 16 Ft-lbs is the torque spec on those.
Never did get those risers flipped around either. Riser bolts at the bottom of the triple tree, which I think are only supposed to be about 30 Ft-lbs, were on the tight side. Those I think are loc-tited
The riser nuts shouldn't be loctited, but they do use locking-style nuts. Spray some pentrating lubricant on the threads, should make em come out easier.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There's no way you need to use an impact driver on those bolts. Bike hasn't even been out of the factory 12 months yet! Decent hex socket, slightly longer ratchet wrench and they will come out.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts