Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a tail tidy from SP Engineering.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/13-fz-09-gear-accessories/2020-sp-engineering-fender-eliminator.html

As supplied it leaves the seat lock exposed; I think it's a good idea to cover the lock somehow. I was thinking of trying to find a rubber cab that would just push on / pull off or somehow try to re-use the stock cover. As it happens the stock lock cover pretty much clips back up under the tail tidy. At the tail light end of the cover assembly there are two small clip pins that, at least on the SP tail tidy, neatly seat up against the plate holder. I drilled two holes at that end of the cover and secured it with a cable tie. I put a second cable tie about halfway along the cover unit, which holds it tight against the plate holder. Since the primary aim is to stop crap being deflected into the lock I think this is a quick, easy and unobtrusive solution.

When I finally get my plate (may be another 3-6 months here in good ol' Thailand) i'll put a couple of extra washers between the rear of the plate and the tail tidy so it doesn't press on the two seat cover clip pins.

I don't know if this workaround applies to any other tail tidies but am posting in case it does.

Key cover 1.jpg

Key cover 2.jpg

Key cover 3.jpg

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nice modification, my R&G tidy tail came with a rubber plug which seems to work fine but the stock swing away cover is much nicer. Pickup some black zip ties if you want to make it look a bit more stealth and blend in.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Pickup some black zip ties if you want to make it look a bit more stealth and blend in.
Thanks. I know I should have used black ties but I only had white ones to hand. I meant to go and get some this afternoon but got sidetracked. They're on the shopping list.

Actually, looking at the pics, what I think I should do is run the plate light and indicator wires in the recessed channel in the lock cover. That would look pretty neat and tidy, particularly if I use black ties :eek:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The Graves fender eliminator re uses the stock cover..that's one of the reasons I went with that one ...probably not easy to get in Thailand though...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the Graves looks like a nice piece of kit and it's a good re-use of the lock cover. I like the SP one because it comes with a plate light, which the Graves doesn't. One of the other reasons I bought the SP was because I saw it's made in a small town in the West of England about 5 miles from where I used to live!

Graves … SP … Yoshi … whatever tail tidy takes your fancy, I'm sure all of them, once installed, make you wonder how Yamaha could make the stock fitting so godawful!

Pretty much most things can be ordered for shipping to Thailand. The big uncertainty is how long it takes to clear Customs and how much they try and squeeze out of you in duty. Generally adds about 30-40% to the declared value. Sometimes however you get lucky and things sail through. The SP unit took 4 days to reach me with nothing extra to pay. What's not to like :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Home made.

Weld plate on before cutting OEM bracket.

After that, I made the license plate from stainless sheet. ( Not shown )

Reactions: FZ09inBKK

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just cut the long plastic part off from old lock cover , save about 1.5" and drill 2 holes in it... Use a little metal spacer between it and bike so it seats properly and screw it back in... M6 threads go into bike i think.. Forget though, ill take a pic of mine after work tonorrow, literally takes like 5 mins bro

image.jpg

Im holding up the piece i cut off, drilled 2 elongated holes so i didnt have to narrow tolerance down with some precision... Put 2 m6 nuts in there in the holes already tapped into bike.

Cheers
Kaiser

1 - 7 of 7 Posts