Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Resistors? diodes? key tied to a kite? Electrical help please?

4K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  abe57 
#1 ·
So im trying to figure out what i need to get from radio shack for my signals but im not sure. so i figured out that since the front has 3 wires and if i switch to 2 wire i need diodes on each wire. but then can i add resistors to that to get the blink rate right? I looked for the last hour and cant find a specific way to wire them. i think im fine for the back unless i need resistors for that too. but the front im going to be using 2 wire signals on the 3 wire system in the front and just a light bar with integrated signals for the rear. i already bought These.

What else do i need? what size diodes? what size resistors? where do i need to wire them in exactly?

#2 ·
Check CustomLED's website-they sell LED flasher relays to replace the stock relay located under the seat and which will slow down the blink rate to a normal rate if you've installed LED blinkers/tail light. They also sell OEM blinker connectors so you don't have to hack into your wire harness. I wouldn't recommend resistors as they generate too much heat and why mess with diodes when the flasher relay is plug n play-simplifies the process. Best of luck...

#4 · (Edited)
To keep the front running lights, let's first assume you bought blinkers that are running light capable, if so then you would need three wire OEM connectors, the rear are two wire. The ELFR-1 relay is only 20 bucks and literally takes less than a minute to swap it out for the OEM one...

BTW-if you bought 4 three wire connectors, you can still use the three wire connectors on the two wire rear lights, you just need to find the wire that's constant hot and cap it off...

#5 ·
To keep the front running lights, let's first assume you bought blinkers that are running light capable, if so then you would need three wire OEM connectors, the rear are two wire. The ELFR-1 relay is only 20 bucks and literally takes less than a minute to swap it out for the OEM one...
ok. i saw that. so the relay is definitely worth it. so i'd have to get specific running light capable blinkers? theres no way to make 2 wire led signals stay on and then just interrupt when they flash? Thanks for the help. im terrible with electrical stuff. but im trying to learn..

#6 ·
With a three wire set up, one wire is constant power(for the running light), one is ground and the third is powered through the relay so that it's only receiving load when the relay sends power through it triggering the signal to flash.

There is a way to make a two signal wire act as a running and a blinker, but if you are not comfortable with wiring and electrical yet, it might be simpler to just buy three wire signals for the front and replace the flasher relay and call it a day(maybe use the two wires for the rear).

If you decide to go with only blinkers in the front(no running lights) I'd advise checking your local laws to make sure you're not giving the popo a reason to pull you over-some jurisdictions(and federal law) requires modern motorcycles to have the headlight constantly on as well as running/marker lights in front..

#7 ·
yea. i dont think anyone cares here in alabama and i dont have running lights on my drzs at all so i think im ok in ca too. i already know that my rear signals wont be far enough apart to be legal. apparently its 9 inches? i found something someone posted online about soldering in diodes the power wires and then just connecting them both to the power on the 2 wire signal and the ground to the ground. at least thats what i got from the diagram. im still looking for a set of 3 wire signals that arent huge. thats whats making me want to use a set of 2 wire signals...

#10 ·
Here's the way I wired my Rizomas front and back. They work perfectly.

Hope that helps.
Ok so just no running lights? I'll probably do that. They're only running lights in the front anyway. Not sure why I'd need them if I already have a headlight up there. Thanks.

You're down in PC? was it like -50 degrees down there all this week too?

#17 ·
I will probably change over to LED signal lights, to get rid of those huge stock lights. I noticed that the 2014/15 Super Tenere's use the same mounting setup as the 09. The front LED's also have the 3 wire running light. Might be something to keep in mind as an LED signal light option.

Text Line Font

#18 ·
Trying to put a set of LED signals on the front. Must have done something wrong. Turned the ignition on and both front signals came on and stayed on. Going by the pictures, it looks like I've got them wired wrong.

Alley, I've got the connectors from Custom LED. Looks like you have the same on the front. Looks like the power will be the white wire and ground is black...?

I wired up the Blaster-X taillight and everything works fine. I put in their ELFR-1 ELECTRONIC LED FLASHER RELAY WITH OEM CONNECTOR. Would I still need to wire in resistors up front to keep the OEM flash rate?

Thanks

#19 ·
The front is a 3 wire system...when I did mine I used a test light with the key on probe the wires and see what stays on and witch one flashes with the signal switch on to the side u are testing...sounds like you have the running light wire connected... and if you do have a new LED flasher unit your system is covered !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.