Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a flat, so I pulled of my rear tire and bought one online to have a local shop mount it. I'm trying to put it back on, I have all the pieces together and I've got both alignment checks on the first notch, and the axle bolt torqued down to 108 ft/lbs, and there is at least 5 mm of play in the wheel, it rocks back and forth.

Anyone replace their own rear tire run into this?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Back and forth or side to side? I've taken mine off a few times and never had that happen. Do you have the rear caliper bracket on correctly? Have the chain adjusters on the right way with the L shape facing forward? Flat side of the axle against the L shaped part of the chain adjusters correctly?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Do you mean the wheel can move side to side 5mm on the axle? If so you have left out a spacer etc, and have done something that is not meant to happen when torquing the axle nut.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only torque I've done is taking the axle nut off, following the service manual instructions.

The play is both side to side and back and forth. Its pivoting around the left side of the axle because the washing and bracket for adjustments on the right side do not sit flush to the swingarm. Below is a link to a couple photos.

imgur: the simple image sharer

First one shows the right hand side bracket, thats with the axle nut shown toruqed to 108 ft lbs. You can see there is a big space between the adjustment bracket and the swingarm.

The last one shows how far the washer will go before stopping. After the threads on the axle stop it bevels to a wider diameter, which stops the washer, which then stops the adjustment bracket.

The third picture kind of shows that I have the collar on the left hand side installed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hahaha! It happens to all of us from time to time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts