Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have purchased a shock recently.

Replacing the stock shock.

1. I drilled out the shift side peg pin and replaced it with one from the passenger peg until Nick sent me a new pair.
2. I flipped the pegs upside down, ( take pictures of the spring layout first)
3. I put the bike on my rear stand on the spools.
4. I placed jack stands under each footpeg.
5. I lowered the rear stand so that the bike could rest on the jack stands.
6. I removed the seat, unbolted everything attached to the tank, scoops, and carefully removed front tank trim pieces.
7. Unbolted the front and bottom mount on the tank.
8. Lifted rear of tank (remove bolts to frame, not to tank, can scratch paint easily when lifting) and slid a short 1x4 piece of wood between airbox and tank.
9. Placed a two foot 1x4 under the rear tire facing back to use as wheel leverage.
10. Removed lower shock mount and eased the tire to the ground under the 1x4
11. Now the top bolt is more accessible and removed the top bolt.
12. Slide reservoir through frame and insert shock.
13. slid top of shock in from below, tight fit, attach bolt.
14. Lift tire with 1x4 to align bottom bolt, insert and tighten.
15. secure remote reservoir.
16. re-assembled everything else in reverse order.

The service manual does not show these steps in detail at all. My days of disassembling motocross bikes came in handy.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks Doug......that is most likely on my list of things to do this weekend,........as soon as I get done cleaning house, doing laundry, fixing supper and cleaning up the kitchen...........OR NOT!

Reactions: phasterthanyou

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just what I was looking for. Waiting for my Penske shock to arrive and was searching the forum today for shock install instructions. Good timing,:)

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A couple of things. I may have removed the top bolt first. Memory loss from old fart syndrome. I used the 1X4 to lift the wheel to align the bottom bolt with my other hand. My nice box wrenches were only good to loosen the nut on the bottom bolt. I used short cheap toolkit type wrenches to get the nut off the bottom and to reassemble as the other wrenches have no room to move.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I did mine with the 2 stands, a floor jack under the pan and 2 rachet strap hook to the garage door opener bracket. It was a but nerve wreaking... but got it done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts
I did mine with the 2 stands, a floor jack under the pan and 2 rachet strap hook to the garage door opener bracket. It was a but nerve wreaking... but got it done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Can the bike be safely lifted by a roller jack and a 6x6x1 board underneath the cat can? Just to lift the rear for a short spell?

·
Registered
652 Posts

1. I drilled out the shift side peg pin and replaced it with one from the passenger peg until Nick sent me a new pair.
6. I removed the seat, unbolted everything attached to the tank, scoops, and carefully removed front tank trim pieces.
8. Lifted rear of tank (remove bolts to frame, not to tank, can scratch paint easily when lifting) and slid a short 1x4 piece of wood between airbox and tank.
9. Placed a two foot 1x4 under the rear tire facing back to use as wheel leverage.

The service manual does not show these steps in detail at all. My days of disassembling motocross bikes came in handy.

I assume in step 10 and 11 you are refering to the pivot bolt for the swingarm end of the dogbone and the swingarm end mounting bolt of the shock.
This appears to be the intended procedure from Yamaha.The lower dog bone bolt being easily accessable through the hole in the swing arm.

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
I had a small problem with mounting the Penske shock. Finally had to drop the bottom bolt out of the dog bone to get the bottom shock mount to clear the swingarm enough to remove shock bolt. Sometimes I feel like I need a second pair of eyes to watch over me to keep me from getting in a hurry and making mistakes. Or at the very least, to keep the bike from failing on me.
~fish

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I recall, I removed the top bolt first and lowered the wheel to expose the bottom bolt so that I could get the bolt out without a problem. Here is a picture of the assembled bottom bolt.

Tire Vehicle Car Auto part Suspension

·
Super Moderator
4,452 Posts
It's all good. Strange sequence of events, but I managed get it sorted.

Thanks you all for the advice, comments and pictures, I did dremel a 10mm/20mm bushing out to a 12mm/20mm because I got so anal about the washer/bushing fitting into the pocket there on the bolt head side of the clevis. Of course the Penske supplied 10/20 fit the threaded end. I'm loving those Fuji nuts. What a compact/mass centralized bike the FZ is.
~fish

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny because after I took the picture, I could not believe that I let it go. I am the same way. I will probably get the Dremel out and do the same thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I raised the tank, but there is a small plastic box with a couple of hoses attached just above the upper shock mount. I think it's CA emissions stuff. Any problems removing this box for shock removal or is it easy enough to access upper shock bolt through slot in frame? Here's a bad photo
Automotive lighting Red Light Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
184 Posts

Your pictures are absent.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts