Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in replacing the front brake master cylinder on the FZ. Has anyone done this with an OEM unit from a different bike? If so, from what bike? What would be compatible? I want something with a remote reservoir. I am trying to rotate the stock bars up/forward a bit (taller rider) and there is not enough clearance between the stock unit and the gauges using the stock setup.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I put nylon spacers between the bolts and the gauge bracket at the bar clamps to raise the gauges so that I could rotate my master cylinder to lower my levers motocross style.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Been thinking about doing this as well... not to rotate the bars, but to get narrower ones. Just doesn't look like I could scoot that reservoir any further inward without contacting the instrument cluster.

Doug, do you think raising the cluster upwards with spacers would cause any conflicts with a windshield? (I can't remember if you have one or not).

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I have a MRA touring, and the clearance is massive. I believe that my spacers are only 1/4" thick, just enough for me. My bars have a longer end. Renthal Street Fighter low bend Fatbar.

moose_zeta.jpg

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The spacers sounds like a good idea. I will look at that later today.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
R1/R6 master cylinders bolt on pretty directly. I installed one on my FZ09.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
R1/R6 master cylinders bolt on pretty directly. I installed one on my FZ09.
Got any pics? Did you have to move over the brake switch, or were you able to use the one from the R1/R6? The stock fz09 brake lines fit ok?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
bolted right up, used the R1/R6 brake light switch.

PM me your email and I will email you pics if you want.

Reactions: PegasusJockey

·
Registered
118 Posts
+3 on the r1/r6 I put an r6 with asv levers.. not sure how far you'll be able to move it tho, my brake line is pretty tight now but I didn't undo any clamps either

·
Registered
277 Posts
2010 R1 master here. Fit's fine except you'll need an R1 lever since the pivot point is much wider for the R1.

I'm using a one off brake line setup that I worked out with Speigler due to the bars, but the stock might work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts