Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to confirm that I need to unbolt and remove the whole front turn signal assembly (best seen lower right) to install new signals (Rizoma Action). It looks to be four bolts total.

Can anybody tell me what I will find behind the stalk once the part is off?

Will the stock stalk simply screw out? Is there a nut behind? Or are there threads built into the stalk assembly.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
It's an IQ test that I failed. So I ripped up the test. In other words I used the hack saw on the side burns, parts 1 and 3. Was going to cut them anyway for re-do of the area from there to the speedo.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an IQ test that I failed. So I ripped up the test. In other words I used the hack saw on the side burns, parts 1 and 3. Was going to cut them anyway for re-do of the area from there to the speedo.
I was three seconds away from a beer and power tools myself.

·
Registered
657 Posts
There's a plastic retainer that you pry off from the inside of the stock. Then you twist, pull the turn signal stock out of the plastic side cover.

Reactions: Alley Oop

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Uh, oh. I've reached a dead end.

How do you connect these two?

Gray connector is from the Yamaha (dark brown, light brown, black wires). Red and black are from the Rizoma.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Rizoma manual said the MT-09 was 10W (one connector/resistor).

But I think the MT-09 is different, because the FZ-09 manual indicates a 21W bulb. So I configured this way:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For anyone attempting a signal change in the future, here's a few more shots.

Another view of connector

View showing the whole part that has to come off

View of the rubber weather sealing that seals the square opening under the stalk. Under the rubber sealing is a plastic clip that holds the stalk in.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The third wire is for something extra, as in the case of the front turn signals it is the running lights. If you are going to get a wire harness to make it plug and play, you might as well buy some with crimp on bullets already attached.
Pair Yamaha 3 Pin Round Plug Turn Signal Wiring Harness Kits TSH Y | eBay

Take note of the placement of the pins in the harness though. Mine were out of order.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

The grey connector is the left front connector.
The black connector is the right.

All six wires have paint on them of same color.
Both connectors have black wires, that is ground, negative.
Both have light brown wires, that is the running lights.
The grey(left) connector has a medium brown wire for the left signal.
The black connector has a green wire for the right signal.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah, okay. So Klye's wires were not positioned properly in the connector.

Strange that the left and right side signal wires are different colors (light brown and green, respectively).

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Uh, oh. I've reached a dead end.

How do you connect these two?

Gray connector is from the Yamaha (dark brown, light brown, black wires). Red and black are from the Rizoma.

So on both sides the black Rizoma wire connects to the black 09 wire.

On one side the red Rizoma wire goes to the green wire, on the other side it goes to the darker of the 2 brown wires.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So on both sides the black Rizoma wire connects to the black 09 wire.

On one side the red Rizoma wire goes to the green wire, on the other side it goes to the darker of the 2 brown wires.
Excellent. That's just what I was about to ask.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
It is an upcoming project for me, your question made me take a close look at it ahead of time. I have the hard copy service manual and already had that area of the bike apart.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts