Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hard time removing the right mirror stem that the mirror screws into, i took the cap off of the top of the stem to reveal a nut, but i cant seem to fit a socket in there to reach the nut and turning the union on the bottom feels impossible. Has anyone else had an issue with this?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its attatched to the break fluid reservoir with a union that refuses to budge.. Then at the top of the short stem is a cap that removes with a nut inside.. I was guessing that the nut was keeping the union pinned down.. But this is my 1st bike so im not even sure.. Kind of a tight spot on bottom, was afraid of scratching up side of reservoir

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Alrighty, i appreciate the assist gentlemen, i'll just put a little testosterone behind the wrench.

And that depiction is beautiful dev... But the damn thing is actually forged to the reservoir and undetatchable at the base. The rest is what i'm aiming to knock off, so if i wanted the base gone i would need a new brake fluid res. but i really appreciate it brother.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Keep in mind that the right hand side is a reverse thread; Righty Loosey - Lefty Tighty. The hex nut under the cap is meant to add tension to the mirror rotation; this does not need to be removed/loosened to remove the mirror.

Hope this helps!
Im having the same problem....And i dont understand your advise....the right mirror nut must be turned normally reverse clockwise to loose it right? You mention there its the reverse from the left mirror so basically its must be turned clockwise?! Im confuse and my nut is almost stripped...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Im having the same problem....And i dont understand your advise....the right mirror nut must be turned normally reverse clockwise to loose it right? You mention there its the reverse from the left mirror so basically its must be turned clockwise?! Im confuse and my nut is almost stripped...
If you plan to work on your bike...and you have no idea what you are doing....buy the service manual. It will explain how to remove and install all the parts on the bike.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
877 Posts
The nut described sounds like the one that takes a 10 mm socket that has to be pretty thin wall or ground as such.

Usually best not to deal with that one and just loosen the 14 mm which will be a left hand thread at the base, on the right side.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I always seem to have most problems doing the simplest things- I tried to remove the mirrors from the stem to add a phone mount that I am experimenting with (and to put the mirror back on again)- but when I tried to turn the nut marked in red below, it wouldn't turn. Ended up scratching it instead! The paint seems ultra soft on that as does the metal! Anyhow, do I use a simple wrench and is this the right nut that I am targeting?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always seem to have most problems doing the simplest things- I tried to remove the mirrors from the stem to add a phone mount that I am experimenting with (and to put the mirror back on again)- but when I tried to turn the nut marked in red below, it wouldn't turn. Ended up scratching it instead! The paint seems ultra soft on that as does the metal! Anyhow, do I use a simple wrench and is this the right nut that I am targeting?
The right side (if you are sitting on bike) is a left handed thread (righty loosy, lefty tighty), i didnt realize that and scratched paint as well... But yes, i shot it up with wd40 then put an adjustable on it, they are abnormally tight even if you are turning it the correct way too.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
So, if sitting on the bike, I turn the nut towards myself to loosen it? (righty?)
And turn away from me to tighten it? (lefty)
Also, now where can I find a unscratched nut or one that wont get scratched putting it back on!?

·
Registered
619 Posts
So, if sitting on the bike, I turn the nut towards myself to loosen it? (righty?)
And turn away from me to tighten it? (lefty)
Also, now where can I find a unscratched nut or one that wont get scratched putting it back on!?
Away from myself and towards myself is kind of ambiguous, depending on where the wrench is situated. righty==clockwise, lefty==counter clockwise.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Away from myself and towards myself is kind of ambiguous, depending on where the wrench is situated. righty==clockwise, lefty==counter clockwise.
Got it, thanks! Will get that WD40 out as well to help things.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got it, thanks! Will get that WD40 out as well to help things.
Remember, only the one on the right (if you are sitting on the bike...ie brake side) is left handed thread and will need to be loosened by turning it clockwise.

The mirror on the clutch side (dont know why i didnt identify them as clutch side and brake side earlier) is a standard thread.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If anyone else was wondering, the advice helped. Also a metric 17 wrench will do the job. Thanks to everyone who pitched in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find that nut/screw? Mine's all messed up from the pervious owner and can't stand it. Or should I just get a new mirror all together?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just looked at
- he just uses a wrench on the nut and then spins each mirror to loosen it and then to remove. I did the same thing tonight, installed my spacer/extenders. Reverse to re-install.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts