Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some new Michelin Pilot 4's to put on my wifes commuter (FZ-09) and have never taken the wheels off a motorcycle before.

Can someone tell me the best way to safely remove both front and back tire so that I can take them to a shop and have new tires installed?

I have a rear pit pull.

Also do you leave the disks on the wheel? (concerned they could get bent if they are laid on their side)

:confused:

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
For the rear tire I use a rear stand.

For the front, I used two step ladders, a weight-lifting bar wrapped with a protective towel, a car jack to lift up the front, and a helper. The bar is position under the frame, just behind the front shocks under the steering head. In doing this, I also utilize my rear stand, including attaching some rope around the spools and stand attachment points, and weighing down the rear stand with some barbell weights so it won't move or lift. I know this sounds like a lot, but it really wasn't. Also, I change my own tires, so I'm removing one tire at a time. Taking the bike to a shop is asking for scuffed rims, lost spacers, etc. Get the right tools and just change them.

You can see the bike on the rear stand with rear tire removed on this video. I wish I had shot a video of when the front tire was removed, since it would show the arrangement. But using a quality bar and two good ladders is a very safe arrangement.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The safest way to do it would be with a proper front stand in conjunction with the rear. Spacecoast's method sounds ok, but I personally wouldn't attempt it. Worst case scenario: remove and replace rear, then ride it to the shop to have them do the front.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
There are about 1000 ways to support the front while the rear is on a stand.

The best is a proper front stand that supports the front end by the steering stem.

Other options are to jack up the bike from underneath the engine or to suspend the front end from an overhead support. I have see guys put a pipe/rod through the frame at the front engine mounts and support the front end on jack stands. I have also seen guys with frame sliders sticking out from the lower front engine mounts place the frame sliders on concrete blocks or jack stands to support the front without the front wheel.

Those are just a few ideas and there are many more.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Would recommend a pitbull front stand. They can be had for less than $100 on craigslist. They will also last a lifetime. The money you sill save will pay for it after two tire changes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts