Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took off the pegs and brackets and just clipped rear cylinder break fluid resevoir to top hole... Its on there and very snug... I cant see it being an issue and hardware still had loctite on it.... Has anyone else done this and had an issue or done it successfully?

Just hoping vibration wont open resevoir since i removed little angle clip with it.

image.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took off the pegs and brackets and just clipped rear cylinder break fluid resevoir to top hole... Its on there and very snug... I cant see it being an issue and hardware still had loctite on it.... Has anyone else done this and had an issue or done it successfully?

Just hoping vibration wont open resevoir since i removed little angle clip with it.

View attachment 6206
I literally just stared at that picture along with a side shot from my bike trying to decide whether to go downstairs and take my passenger pegs off immediately. Can you estimate how much they weigh? Not because I'm trying to strip it down but it will make me feel more compelled to do it if they are similar to the stock fender. Thanks.

I would check it after riding over the next week and if it has not loosened any with the old Loctite then it should be good to go!

PS. I just tried to break the bolts free with my cheap allen multitool...going to wait for a real wrech, especially if they have Loctite on the threads stock.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I literally just stared at that picture along with a side shot from my bike trying to decide whether to go downstairs and take my passenger pegs off immediately. Can you estimate how much they weigh? Not because I'm trying to strip it down but it will make me feel more compelled to do it if they are similar to the stock fender. Thanks.

I would check it after riding over the next week and if it has not loosened any with the old Loctite then it should be good to go!

PS. I just tried to break the bolts free with my cheap allen multitool...going to wait for a real wrech, especially if they have Loctite on the threads stock.
I would say they are about 2.5lbs each maybe, though i wouldnt make a very good weight guessing clown at a carnival, haha... But brackets plus pegs i think thats a decent estimate...

It is the blue loctite, you can get it with metric allen key. I used a box wrench and kinda hooked it on the end of allen key as a cheater assist.

Theres kind of a rubber gasket spacer on plastic resevoir in addition to it being plastic so im guessing it serves kinda like a lock washer as it pushes back against bolt... But keep in mind it is plastic, so i snugged it up really well but didnt crank down on it.

and thank you DreamFZ... I was looking for someone to cosign it for me, haha

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have thought about doing this several times but have not.

Thinking if you ever drop the bike they just might provide some protection.

It does look clean though.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
There is no way they are 2lbs each. I can weigh them when I get home, but I was really surprised how light they were when I took them off.

·
Registered
226 Posts
LH passenger peg assy .814 lbs/13 oz. with bolts.
RH passenger peg assy .832 lbs/13 oz. with bolts.
Rear fender assy 2.94 lbs/47.10 oz. without the reflectors and their bracket.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, oops, was trying to judge in comparison to a 5lb running weight, felt like half of that to me.. *shrug*

·
Registered
438 Posts
With all brackets and reflectors including the bracket under the seat its 3lb 9.5oz (fender)

And the front reflectors are 3.5oz together.

Front turn signals are 9.2oz

Tool kit and strap are 9.3oz

levers together are 8.9oz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I am totally new to the forum but I tried to take the pegs off using just a long hex key and a hammer and they wouldn't break free. Is there a trick to it or do you recommend using a better tool setup? Or just be stronger...

·
Registered
462 Posts
I got mine off with a standard Allen key, but make sure it's good quality. It takes a good amount of force to break the loctite free and a cheap or poorly fit Allen wrench may do some damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
I got mine off with a standard Allen key, but make sure it's good quality. It takes a good amount of force to break the loctite free and a cheap or poorly fit Allen wrench may do some damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This pretty much describes "The Tool Rule".

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I was a bit surprised as to how tight those bracket bolts were. I went straight to a ratchet for better leverage.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Mine are off and reservoir mounted same as yours. Weight 12.9 oz each including bolts. Hawker has a good point though. They could provide a little more crash protection. And, if someone needs a lift, the pegs are there. My main reason for removal was weight, but it's such a small amount and they look fine on the bike. Besides, who would notice that detail when you're moving? Mine are going back on today. Two less things to clutter up a storage shelf.

As far as overall weight reductions, I can make up the difference in my daily diet and don't forget the things that replace the stock stuff weighs something too. It's mostly about the looks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
^^^ LOL I reduce the overall weight as a result of loss 15 lbs on the Whole30 plan in five weeks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts