Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i adjust throttle cable perfectly with no slack, throttle was harder to turn and i look to remove the throttle return cable to avoid the tension that was created when remove slack on cable since there are no adjustment on the lower position of this cables, i have read on many others forum that it really help and the throttle spring return the throttl safely, all seem ok, anywone have try it?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The return cable is there for safety, if your throttle jams (gets stuck) wide open you still have the hope of closing it.

Your problem was you were taking too much slack out, instead of removing the return cable you should have put a little bit of slack back in, enough that with the engine off if you open the throttle all the way and let go of the grip it will snap closed, with the bars straight ahead and all the way to each side.

I do a lot of things some people would call unsafe, removing the throttle return cable is not one of them lol.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Also, if you remove return cable and have all the slack out of the remaining cable the RPM will likely go up/down as you turn the bars all the way side to side, not good. That is another test to do when adjusting the slack.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
In a word..... NO!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Vern, do you ever get a track day rider that has removed the return cable? What happens at tech inspection?

Jean, it is a statistical thing, chances are that you can get away with removing it. But if every motorcycle owner removed the return cable there would be crashes because of it. How many? I don't know, but not something I want to experiment with.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Vern, do you ever get a track day rider that has removed the return cable? What happens at tech inspection?

Jean, it is a statistical thing, chances are that you can get away with removing it. But if every motorcycle owner removed the return cable there would be crashes because of it. How many? I don't know, but not something I want to experiment with.
A bike with a return cable removed will not pass tech. Even a non-functional kill switch will not pass tech.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Return cable is a seafty device since 80' but lots of custom and dirt bikes run with only a single cable without any problems, if you want zero slack throttle on the fz-09, you should live with hard throttle hard to manage, the reason why i want to remove the return cable, i dislike slack on throttle and on single throttle bikes, the return spring on the throttle is perfect and cause no problems, if you read on FJ forums, they remove 1 return spring on the throttle to resolve the same hard throttle with success that i want to solve!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
/\ /\ What the Canadian guy said. I think.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know but fz-09 dont have the same set-up as the FJ but i dont think that this mod was so crazy, if you read forums, all bikes pre 80' are singles cables and many custom Harley and atv/dirt bike have do this since many years without any problems

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
;-) Excuse me, i will not do it later!!!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
As I said above it is a statistical thing. I don't think it is the worst thing you can do to or on an 09. As long as you are aware of the issues you can make the choice on your bike.

I'd rather remove my return cable than fur my 09. But there isn't much chance I'll fur it either lol.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyway, i will try it tomorow and i will try prior to put shims on the return cable at the throttle to reduce hard throttle effort since lower throttle adjustment is impossible and if it dont work, i will return to stock!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm certainly not going to tell you what to do. I have a modified dual sport without the return cable, due to a carb mod. However, since you solicited info regarding this issue, you got great advice from some pretty smart people. It's a big safety helper. I would never think of doing it to this bike. Worst case scenarios would require reaction times we just don't posses. Good luck though, ride safe.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Might as well remove the brake system too, would be pretty light without all those pesky callipers, disks and lever things.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally replace the throttle cable and problem solved, perfect, bizzare is that the old cable was not snapped, maybe the problem is that i oiled it before, i dont know but with the new cable, it was perfect and i install PTFE .005'' film on the throttle sleeve and it was now smooth like butter!!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Finally replace the throttle cable and problem solved, perfect, bizzare is that the old cable was not snapped, maybe the problem is that i oiled it before, i dont know but with the new cable, it was perfect and i install PTFE .005'' film on the throttle sleeve and it was now smooth like butter!!!
I never lube cables. And...I have removed the return cable on a shit load of bikes....and nothing ever happened.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
If you are using the motorcycle throttle correctly, the return spring on the throttle is the only part that should be even considered an "optional" part.

The throttle should only snap shut using the spring if you are no longer controlling the bike such as in a crash. If you release the throttle and let the spring snap the throttle shut, the spring is controlling the throttle and not you.

The throttle should be closed by your hand rolling the throttle closed.

This can only happen if you have a return throttle cable.

The goal for everyone seeking best control of a motorcycle should be a smooth roll on the throttle and a smooth roll off the throttle as this give you the most stable suspension, most consistent contact patch, most consistent traction and thus the best opportunity to control the motorcycle.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Is it possible to lighten up the return spring tension a bit? I looked at the throttle body in a shop manual and it really doesn't show a clear breakdown of the item. I would like to reduce the tension by about 15%. On a long ride it becomes a bit of a pain, literally.
Appreciate your comments.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts