Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the remote reservoir worth the extra coin or can I get away with a standard shock I just do spirited riding on back roads nowhere to do track days....its quite a difference from the reservoir to the standard shock but if its worth the coin I will get it......going with the matris brand....

·
Registered
165 Posts
From what Matris say the internal reservoir shock, or as you put it "standard", is a De Carbon unit, so compared to the remote reservoir shock the only disadvantages would be no compression damping and more heat buid-up as there will be less gas in the system. Too much heat build-up leads to a loss of damping.

For a road shock these 2 will probably not cause any problems - the Nitron I have is just the same, and works great.

If it turns out that the shock in question is an emulsion unit then it will not be as good. This is the thing I would be most concerned about verifying.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
may just go with Penske noticed they have cartridges now..... also im having problems finding someone to do the fork work here in Memphis....someone I trust anyway....

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
My suggestion is to take a trip down to see Traxxion Dynamics (Atlanta area) and have them install their cartridges in your forks and install the Penske shock and set it all up for you the way you ride. If you don't want to ride that far, ship them your forks and they can update them and send them back to you pretty quickly.

I also suggest talking to Traxxion as to the advantages of the remote reservoir over not having the remote reservoir. They are great folks and are very happy to help you out.

Reactions: gearsmasher

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
looked into this also they are not far about six hours...They said if I made a appointment they would have me out by early afternoon.....I can install the shock but looks like ill need special tools for the cartridges...

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
looked into this also they are not far about six hours...They said if I made a appointment they would have me out by early afternoon.....I can install the shock but looks like ill need special tools for the cartridges...
Their expertise is well worth the effort, time and expense. It will be a one stop deal and they will have it all sorted out for you before you leave.

I suggest you ride down Thursday evening, have them work on the bike Friday morning and then head out to ride in the mountains all day Saturday and Sunday as you work your way back towards Memphis.

Reactions: gearsmasher

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Dan and Martin at Traxxion are really great folks.

They reworked my ZX6RR shock and I also have their AK-20 cartridges up front.

They really know their stuff and their customer service is second to none.

When they get done with your bike you will bee smiling!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I would have Traxxion install your cartridges. Unless you are experienced and have the correct tools.

I was fortunate. A friend owns the local Yamaha shop. We installed them... well basically he did the install while I kept the beer cold. There are several gotcha's on the install. The last thing you want to do is dork it up and end up having to buy extra parts due to your DYI program.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts