Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of ours (a 20something blond female MSF instructor) had a uninsured, unemployed, unregistered, non-english speaking Mexican national turn left into her path this week. Broken arm on one side broken wrist on the other....$$ amount of damage to Aprilla is yet to be determined. I will stop now before I get carried away:mad:

Lots of idiots that will kill you if given a chance/ Cover your 6!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry to hear that, just had a friend of mine also young get cut off on her cbr250 last year and the result was her having to get her skull cut open to relieve brain swelling or she would have been in even bigger trouble. People dont pay attention to us. Do what ever you can to protect yourself.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Us too Bob. She is a sweet girl and a motorcycle salesperson. (not a rich girl)
I hope her insurance takes care of her and her bike.
Her bike is her primary transportation year round. She clearly wont be riding for a while.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly 204, I HATE riding in the city.
I have found myself VERY nearly yanking someone out of their car on more than one occasion.
The adrenaline surge is almost more than I can overcome when people do stupid shit!

Reactions: Travis

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah I hear ya Brian I had a guy in a truck look me dead in the eyes and turn in front of me... barely got out of that one. I wasn't speeding and it was in the middle of the day

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a racer, rider and attorney who sees the worst of the motorcycle crash cases. I am also VP of ABATE Greater New Orleans Chapter. I help teach our motorcycle awareness courses to make the community safer. We in La. have over 119 fatal motorcycle accidents last year. In most the motorcyclists was not at fault. I have been trying to get a decent fair right of way bill passed in the La. legislature to no avail. We just has a 28 yr. old father on a sport bike killed by a drunk box truck driver. No criminal charges have been filed by the D.A. It is outrageous. I see this all the time where the offending motorists gets a reduce fine and ticket like no seat belt when they take off someones foot or leg. In La. you only have to carry $15,000 per person injured of liability insurance. That hardly pays for the ER visit and ambulance. 60% of the motorcycle accidents in La. and also in Fla. are from left turns into motorcyclists. Moral: You need to have at least $100,000 underinsured or uninsured motorists coverage to pay for being hit by an uninsured or underinsured motorists. Also make sure your heath insurance covers you for motorcycle riding as some do not. I carry 1 million UM coverage as I have kids and a wife that would need the support. It is not a matter of not being affordable. You cannot afford to ride without it. My heart goes out to the MSF female instructor. I hope she fully recovers with no disability.
I have to try a 70 yr. old ex state trooper who got hit by a truck with gooseneck trailer who pulled out at 3 mph into 65 mph traffic causing a chain reaction that cause the motorcyclist to his his head in the crash--and he had all the gear and did everything right and took the MSF advance level course. We probably don't have enough insurance to cover the brain damage treatments he will need the rest of his life. I could go on and on as I live with these unfortunate motorcyclist every day and see the worst. Take all the MSF courses you can get. Carry UM. Dress for the crash with a Shoei or Aria level helmet that is hand made and not popped out of a mold in China for $2.00. Wear the boots, gloves,pants, jacket etc. Make sure the jacket attaches to the pants to reduce road rash too. With distracted drivers (DWT) and texting drivers it will only get worst and more dangerous. It is all about risk management. I cannot live and not ride and race. I try to manage the risks. You should too.
Glenn
Glenn McGovern
Metairie, La.
[email protected]

·
Registered
663 Posts
The invention of cell phones was the number one reason I parked my bike. I hope I'm not misguided getting back in.

In the last few years of my LEO career, I went to many more accidents that involved "distracted" driving than I did "impaired" driving.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow I really hope she make a fast recovery. Something I say to my people is "It is you vs. everyone else on the road". I sell helmets and accessories at a local bike shop. Anyone that comes in gets that speech. My prayers to her.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sorry about your friend. I'm glad that she wasn't hurt even worse.

All the years of cumulative mayhem on the roadways really made me hesitant about the latest bike purchase.

Most people I see in cars today are engaged in some other activity and just happen to be driving. At least once a week someone drifts into my lane through inattention.

I see people all the time doing the most outrageously stupid and dangerous things like missing the turn lane and coming to a complete stop in the middle lane of a three lane intersection to either 1) try to turn left or 2) do a U-turn. All to avoid going to the next light.

It's all I can do to keep from being killed by these non-drivers yet the cops pull ME over for speeding and/or rapidly changing lanes (which they tried to call reckless driving) simply because I'm trying to get away from these idiots.

·
Registered
768 Posts
We all wish your friend a speedy recovery and given her occupation, she'll "get back on that horse" when she's able. We hope so.
If a driver couldn't see me coming with 220 watts of GL1800 headlight shining, yellow helmet and a bike the size of a small planet, we must all ride like we're invisible. We are to most cagers.

I know we are relatively well skilled to even be riding a FZ-09. But, my $0.02 worth is repeating what an instructor told me:
{Roughly recalled}
Practice hard stops on the street (when safe to do so.)
Try avoiding imaginary objects in the road by pretending that shadow ahead is a muffler, ladder, etc...
(goofy but true) The best way to avoid an accident is to not be there when it happens.
Throttling out of the way is often as good or better than trying to stop in time.

Reactions: v2Bob
1 - 11 of 11 Posts