Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone relocated their instrument cluster? I'm installing Rox 2" risers and the cluster is in the way - worse, it will be far below the bars and hard to get to. My plan is to raise it up and was wondering if anyone has already do9ne that.

·
Registered
857 Posts
One of the guys rotated his risers and centered up the cluster. I believe it is on what did you do to your bike today thread. Which has gotten so big you can't find stuff without going wacky, whoops too late! Ride Safe.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spent some time in the garage today, and took apart the cluster and bar mounts.

The mounting for the gauge cluster is on the lower bar mount. Too bad they didn't put it on the upper clamp.

I tried to install a set of ROX 2" risers I had. Yes, they will fit but even with the risers rolled all the way forward, the cables and hoses were way too tight. I might have been able to make it work by loosening the front brake hose and repositioning the banjo bolt/hose angle. It didn't look promising and honestly, I didn't want to get into bleeding the brake.

Then comes the problem of the gauges. I was going to make a mounting plate that went on top of the top clamp, but the wires would have been too tight.

So I tried rolling the bar as far forward as I could. The banjo bolt on the brake interfered with the gauge cluster when I tried to roll the brake backwards to get the level at the right angle. I have the brake pushed inward to position the lever where I want it.

Yamaha definitely made this bike to fit average to short people. I'm 6'5". Right now I miss how easy my KTM 950 was to setup for a big guy.

Oh well, such is life.

·
Registered
857 Posts
It is tough, I'm a 90 percentile size, 5 foot 10 or so and everything pretty much fits me. The FZ is very compact. BTW do you race in the states? We get to watch the sidecars at Barbers during Vintage Days, and it is always a hoot!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is tough, I'm a 90 percentile size, 5 foot 10 or so and everything pretty much fits me. The FZ is very compact. BTW do you in the states? We get to watch the sidecars at Barbers during Vintage Days, and it is always a hoot!
Yup - and I'll be at Barber next year! I ... ahem ... had self induced motor issues this year and had to cancel. Next year the FZ will be in the bed of the truck and I'm coming down early to site see.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I would also like to center the cluster...so if anyone has a fix I would like to know !

·
Registered
654 Posts
Goes without saying, but take the time to check out the museum at barber, you can loose an entire day in there easily

·
Super Moderator
4,386 Posts
Yup - and I'll be at Barber next year! I ... ahem ... had self induced motor issues this year and had to cancel. Next year the FZ will be in the bed of the truck and I'm coming down early to site see.
This is way off-topic, but I've been told that Barber is trying to get all of the existing Britten V1000's at the Vintage Festival next year.

·
Registered
857 Posts
This is way off-topic, but I've been told that Barber is trying to get all of the existing Britten V1000's at the Vintage Festival next year.
That would be awesome to see the Britten, I was able to see them race at Daytona in the early 90's and saw John Britten work on the bike in the pits. That big twin at speed on the tri-oval was heart-stopping.

till then a link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

hope it works. Ride Smart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts