Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the racer stripe on the red and orange, I'm interested to know what people have chosen for their tank protector. Does anyone have a picture of what their's looks like? Link to brand would be awesome as well!

Forgive me if this has already been posted. I did a search, but didn't come up with anything tangible. Thanks!

·
Registered
663 Posts
When I sat on the "09" I was impressed with the lines, and the way the tank didn't seem to come in to play. I'm no skinny-minny and I didn't feel like I would be scratching the tank. But I see why puck would ask. Isn't the stripe "off center?" I haven't seen anything but graphite in person. protector might funny hiding half the stripe.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
No tank guard for me... I like my stripes, plus my jacket doesn't normally touch the tank... only when I'm sitting on it and pushing it at the same time. I quickly learned to get off the bike and push... no more scuffs! (but I still wax and buff it all the same) :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
No tank guard for me... I like my stripes and my jacket doesn't normally touch the tank. just have to be a little careful when leaning or tucking forward to go full throttle...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm just wanting to be careful is all. I've scratched the tank on the past...sometimes not sure how so wanted to be safe instead of sorry.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I prefer to go without - and put a tank protector on top of a scratch if/when I get one... So far - I haven't needed one since I stopped wearing metal belt buckles.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I went with clear in the middle and sides with Tankslappers. I have used them for over 20 years with great success. They weren't out yet, so I made my own stencils. You can't even tell they are there unless you look for them.

What appears to be scratches are marks from my squeegee. Washed and waxed all looks great.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have these on my red bikes. Color is not too bad of a match for the FZ red paint, but it is more orange than the picture shows. I may paint stripes on it later- likely not. This is a thin magnetic pad- essentially a large refrigerator magnet. Heat it with a blow dryer or heat gun and it gets pliable, then carefully place it and mold it against the tank. May take a few tries to get it right, but after that you forget about it. Comes off easily for cleaning, and pops back on. Made by Mag Knight, they're about $22 delivered on Amazon. The one on my Hawk is 19 years old and looks about the same now as when I put it on. Probably means I don't really need it, but it's for peace of mind if nothing else. Vehicle Red Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Motorcycle accessories

·
Registered
88 Posts
I added the Scotchguard Pro Rear Tank protector from TankSlapperz and it works great. The film is thick and glossy clear, so you still see the stripe. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I had it installed on a white bike once, before Xpel was even available. After two years, it did begin to yellow very slightly. I've never spilled gas on it though. Currently I use the 3M film.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just received and installed my tank guard from TankSlapperz. These guys are really good. I didn't need to cover all the open spaces on the tank, just the rear where my jacket rubs the stripe, so they sold me just the rear piece of the Tank Kit for $10. I installed the rear cover on Wednesday and it looks great!

Just be patient when you install it and it will come out really nice. Use lots of solution until you have it where you want it and continue to spray it until you have all of the bubbles out. I used a blow dryer to help around the tank curves. You can barely tell it is there.

I recommend it highly.

Good luck!

Reactions: Fizzerpilot

·
Banned
739 Posts
Cartoon Clip art Illustration Graphics
Red Vehicle Automotive lighting Car Automotive exterior
I just bought the Yamaha one, minus those two little side stickers. Yes, the stripe is off center. So I just lined up the point with the notch on the tank holder under the seat. My nuts don't even rub up against the tank, so it was really unnecessary.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The other nice thing about the film, is that you can actually polish it. So, any marks left from application, can be buffed right out.

I couldn't bring myself to cover the paint on this tank... Mine has complete coverage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts