Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 09 arrived on Wednesday Oct 2nd. I just got back from a weekend of riding all through the twisties of West Virginia with a friend and his FZ1. Rode 270mi in one day, it was a blast.

Initial impressions. The Rapid Red is a much lighter shade than the Shift Red on my 05 R1. To my happy surprise, it is metallic, an almost candy metallic red. The riding position is great. You dont see the front wheel when you are sitting straight up and looking ahead, this unfortunately puts the gauge cluster out of normal vision but I dont pay attention to that much.

The engine is great, it pulls from any RPM. 3rd gear is awesome. The engine vibrates under acceleration but is smooth at steady speed. This must be because of the crank angles and cylinder timing. The engine is FUN. The weight and width is FUN. The shifter is not as crisp as the R1, it requires a deliberate movement into gear. This is also true for putting it into neutral. The brakes are fine, I will be switching to SS lines as this gives a huge improvement on brake feel and feedback. My bike came with the Dunlop sportmax D214. I cant find much info about these tires but after break-in they did ok, good enough that I will run them for a while. Wind isnt a problem if you sit up straight at speed and pretty mild below 70mph. I will still be getting a fly screen, maybe it will help keep my jacket clean too. The seat is angled forward some, so if you sit at the front of the seat you will be held upto the tank. You can also sit back on the seat. I found that switching between these 2 places gave me the options my butt needed for a long day of fun.

The suspension is harsh. On smooth pavement its fine. It is sketchy on transitions between different types of pavement and it is very harsh on bumps. I can feel my brain rattling in my skull on rough bumpy roads. I dont fault the bike for this, I knew it would not be to my liking going into the purchase and have planned an upgrade all along. At this price point, it doesnt bother me at all. I look forward to a suspension upgrade over the winter and the truth is that no matter how good of a suspension a bike comes from the factory with, it is most likely not going to be sprung for each individual's weight anyway, requiring some parts swapping to get the most out of it.

The throttle has room for improvement. I hope Yamaha comes out with an ECU firmware flash. I feel like it has too much slack before the throttle actually starts to open. This makes exiting a turn more interesting from a throttle control perspective. Dont get me wrong, I dont think that it is horrible and I still had a great time riding it. I am going to check into the throttle cables and see what can be adjusted. I rode in B mode almost the entire time. I dont need a snappy throttle (hint A mode), just a smooth one with predictable transition. The snap can always come from the wrist.

I had an extra frame slider and spool set from the R1, The spools fit fine and are already on. The slider looks like it will fit and I am going to check tomorrow. I also plan on taking some measurements of the R1 and FZ-09 suspension to see what the upgrade options are since I have both sitting next to each other right now.

I put a battery tender lead on the battery and attached a 12V socket to it for charging my phone. There is also an aux 12v behind the fake intake scoop that is switched with ignition. This will be good for a GPS. I also have a H4 HID kit from a previous DRZ400 that I think I will install.

W

·
0 Posts
Thanks for that report, let us know how your mods work. I know with traditional fueling I like almost zero slack in my throttle cables. The FZ8 has great fueling but it does have a bit of driveline lash which is quite manageable but takes a bit of smoothness and practice. I have not ridden a Niner but is what you are referring to actually like a lag in the throttles actually opening, and then a "sudden" lunge? That is, you crack it open, and there is a delay in the response, and then she kicks in? Never had a YCC-i bike, but I do seem to recall the R6 I rode that had this (2006) was very smooth. That would be computer issues as you say.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What's the word on the frame sliders? Where did you buy from? Look forward to seeing you around when I get mine!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sliders from the R1 fit. They use the same bolts and thread pattern. I just ordered a set of Gen2 FZ1 sliders to try. Some sliders are turned down where they recess into the frame. The FZ9 does not need a deep recess that is narrower than the slider. No more than .5" is needed. Remember that this bolt is part of the frame. I picked a slider that used a high grade bolt and metal collar in the slider so that it gives max strength. You dont want it to flex or have play.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the Shogun sliders on my FZ1, they have a metal collar in the base of them as well. High quality sliders that work extremely well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sliders from the R1 fit. They use the same bolts and thread pattern. I just ordered a set of Gen2 FZ1 sliders to try. Some sliders are turned down where they recess into the frame. The FZ9 does not need a deep recess that is narrower than the slider. No more than .5" is needed. Remember that this bolt is part of the frame. I picked a slider that used a high grade bolt and metal collar in the slider so that it gives max strength. You dont want it to flex or have play.
Awesome thanks for the info. I want to order mine now so I can put them on as soon as I take delivery.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
The suspension is harsh. On smooth pavement its fine. It is sketchy on transitions between different types of pavement and it is very harsh on bumps. I can feel my brain rattling in my skull on rough bumpy roads. I dont fault the bike for this, I knew it would not be to my liking going into the purchase and have planned an upgrade all along. At this price point, it doesnt bother me at all. I look forward to a suspension upgrade over the winter and the truth is that no matter how good of a suspension a bike comes from the factory with, it is most likely not going to be sprung for each individual's weight anyway, requiring some parts swapping to get the most out of it.

The throttle has room for improvement. I hope Yamaha comes out with an ECU firmware flash. I feel like it has too much slack before the throttle actually starts to open. This makes exiting a turn more interesting from a throttle control perspective. Dont get me wrong, I dont think that it is horrible and I still had a great time riding it. I am going to check into the throttle cables and see what can be adjusted. I rode in B mode almost the entire time. I dont need a snappy throttle (hint A mode), just a smooth one with predictable transition. The snap can always come from the wrist.
Stay tuned for some solutions in both areas. ECU is currently at Tune Flash, shock is at Penske, and forks are apart on the bench...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts