Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am embarrassed to admit that I have never adjusted the suspension on a motorcycle before...but I think I am ready to tweak my FZ-09.
Although a softer ride might be better for city riding to soak up bigger bumps, it does dive too much on braking, and I think I would rather have it stiff in the city for better handling in the twisties.

That being said, I am 220lbs w/o gear, I would like some suggestions on where to start with preload and damping for both forks & rear shock. Yes, I plan to make small adjustments to find out the golidlocks setting for me, but I would appreciate advice on a good starting point.

For 200+lb riders...where did you set you suspension?
Thx

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
At your weight (I'm 220 or so with gear), you will not be able to eliminate the front end dive when getting on the brakes hard. That will take stiffer springs and some 10 wt. fork oil. The rear end is in need of some help too. I've got one of Stoltec Moto's Penske 8983 double clicker shocks ordered with a 650lb/in spring on it.

Talk to Nick at Stoltec Moto.......he's in Bangor, PA...hopefully not too far from you.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Full stiff everywhere for me until I can save up enough nickels for Stoltec's magic
Sounds like a good start. I don't expect to make it perfect with stock equip, but it has to be better than factory settings

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Stock settings on mine when I got it were most likely for a 98 lb anorexic sumo wrestler!

Reactions: Josh

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Hey I resemble that remark! Except guys in diapers scare me.

Actually I'm 5'11 and with ATGATT + cold weather layers weigh 172. Rode 25 country miles today, first for the FZ and my first ride in 10 years, was doing the quick break in method so lots of slow to 80 and back down.

So far the suspension doesn't seem as soft as a lot of riders make it sound but other than acceleration I was taking it easy, no max breaking and I did the turns Harley style, aka slower than granny going to church. Acceleration squat didn't seem bad but I leaned way forward for gassing it. With winter starting and my skills being so rusty it could be April before I need to do much with the suspension. I plan getting Stoltech forks and Penske.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Setting up your suspension properly can be very satisfying and make for a much more controlled, comfortable, and safe ride.

I would recommend the following book for understanding how suspension works: RaceTech's Motorcycle Suspension Bible.

Once you get in the ballpark, it's best to ride the bike and fine tune the settings based on how the bike feels. It's even helpful to have someone else change the settings before each test ride (so you don't know what's been changed) to eliminate the placebo effect from changing the settings yourself.

Ideally you will have a way to get both wheels off the ground for the fully-suspended measurements, using for example either 1) a center stand or 2) rear stand and front stand (that can lift from the triple tree).

I've created a handy suspension worksheet that makes setting static sag and ride height easy and fun: Motorcycle Suspension Worksheet.

Feel free to save and print as many copies as you like.

·
Registered
347 Posts
190# I've maxed rear preload and damping. Front I've left 2 lines showing on preload and I'm a half turn away from max damping. I may adjust down the front damping a bit but the rear is fine. If/when I start riding harder I will probably want to look into something for the rear. Front seems alright.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
MAX/MAX/Two Lines, and it feels like I haven't even started adjusting it yet. 205 lbs geared up. 185 in my skivvies. Help is on the way from Stoltec. Shock arrived yesterday and springs are coming. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Vendor
2,315 Posts
Niner, how does it feel to you and what kind of riding do you do?
I haven't gotten much seat time on it yet (~30 mile trip from the dealership).
I do all kinds of riding... 30% commuting/hooligan, 30% sport touring (with the wife), and 40% twisty New England roads.

I noticed that the front forks dove during decent braking.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
MAX/MAX/Two Lines, and it feels like I haven't even started adjusting it yet. 205 lbs geared up. 185 in my skivvies. Help is on the way from Stoltec. Shock arrived yesterday and springs are coming. I will keep everyone posted.
You must have gotten the first one of the double clickers, the one that was already made up..........lucky bastage!....I was/am too fat for that one, I had to have one with a 650lb/inch weight. I'm getting some new springs also and already bought my 10 wt. oil for the forks. My luck, the shock will arrive about the same time a foot of snow does!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had them crank up the settings on my stock suspension today at the first service. Brake dives a little bit better as is the squating in the rear. Interstate speed the bumps hit harder and will jar you. I was surprised as I left one more notch of adjustment on front and rear thanks to the techs advice and figured I wouldnt notice a difference. BTW Im 185 lbs before cold weather atgatt.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Please do DIY for the front sprints and shock replacement to help out those who have not done this before.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
If you have a helper to work with you, you can put the bike on the sidestand, then grab the seat area and the handlebars and pull it over enough to get the rear wheel off the ground, basically balancing on the front wheel and the sidestand. This will allow your helper to get a measurement of the rear suspension fully extended.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you have a helper to work with you, you can put the bike on the sidestand, then grab the seat area and the handlebars and pull it over enough to get the rear wheel off the ground, basically balancing on the front wheel and the sidestand. This will allow your helper to get a measurement of the rear suspension fully extended.
I used to use that move by myself all the time to turn a bike around in a tight spot...rotate around the kickstand

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You must have gotten the first one of the double clickers, the one that was already made up..........lucky bastage!....I was/am too fat for that one, I had to have one with a 650lb/inch weight. I'm getting some new springs also and already bought my 10 wt. oil for the forks. My luck, the shock will arrive about the same time a foot of snow does!
I am 205 totally geared up. Hard to read the scale because of my Dunlap (my gut done lapped over my belt). Have 10W Maxima Racing Fork Fluid in had. And yes, I have the test shock in my possession. I am beginning to think you are stalking me, LMAO.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts