Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this forum, but I've been lurking for quite some time now.

First things first, I really want an FZ-09. It looks like an awesome bike. However, (brace yourselves) I don't have much street bike experience. From what I've seen in different threads, nearly everyone will not recommend this bike as a first for good reason. I would tend to agree.

I've been riding/driving/piloting things with powerful motors my whole life. I'd say I'm a fairly experienced dirt bike rider from off-road to track riding with large jumps. I think of myself as a pretty capable guy when it comes to motor sports, but one can't deny the fact I don't have much experience on pavement dealing with traffic and people in cars trying to kill me. I know I'd be a mature rider on the streets. I can't work my job with a felony...

All jokes aside, if I decide to shy away from an FZ as my first bike, what you recommend as a great bike that would prepare me for what I really want? I'm looking for something that has a comfortable seating position like the fz-09, doesn't look stupid, reliable, good price (since I would want to save for the fz), and fast enough to where I wouldn't become bored within the first 1000 miles.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your input!

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
What Duck said, but who knows when/if it will be in the States? Given your dirt experience, I'd say a standard or sport standard of about 70HP.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi everyone,

This is my first post in this forum, but I've been lurking for quite some time now.

First things first, I really want an FZ-09. It looks like an awesome bike. However, (brace yourselves) I don't have much street bike experience. From what I've seen in different threads, nearly everyone will not recommend this bike as a first for good reason. I would tend to agree.

I've been riding/driving/piloting things with powerful motors my whole life. I'd say I'm a fairly experienced dirt bike rider from off-road to track riding with large jumps. I think of myself as a pretty capable guy when it comes to motor sports, but one can't deny the fact I don't have much experience on pavement dealing with traffic and people in cars trying to kill me. I know I'd be a mature rider on the streets. I can't work my job with a felony...

All jokes aside, if I decide to shy away from an FZ as my first bike, what you recommend as a great bike that would prepare me for what I really want? I'm looking for something that has a comfortable seating position like the fz-09, doesn't look stupid, reliable, good price (since I would want to save for the fz), and fast enough to where I wouldn't become bored within the first 1000 miles.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your input!
If you're confident, ...in an ideal world, an f800r. Fun bike, almost the same size as the fz09, great resale value, quite a few for sale.

I'm sure many people would disagree with me, but the f800r I had came with abs, a similar street fighter riding stance to the fz09, and not crazy power to scare a beginner ( but enough to prepare them for a faster bike)

That said, there are tons of good bikes to start on, and the f800r is probably a little extreme.

F650gs, Honda 700, Honda 500, sv650, ...etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the recommendations. I've been looking in to each one. The fz-07 would be awesome but I want something in a month or so after I get done with the motorcycle class I'm registered to take. I also should note I'm 6'2" with long legs and 200lbs. I'm looking for all day riding comfort.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Harley Sportster definitely....with the UK restrictor kit installed. And ask for the Screaming Eagle snow plow attachment for smooooth winter riding. Either that or get a Ural-sidecar combo with camo paint and gun rack.

·
Registered
190 Posts
They cost more than the 09.
Used one? I sold mine for less then half of what I paid for my FZ-09 and it only had the equivalent of 6500 miles on it. You'll also lose way less money on a used bike when you flip it so if you're thinking short term and upgrading in the not to near future I would go used no matter what bike I was buying.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you are in no rush and want good looks and great value it'll be the fz-07 for sure. But you can get a lot of good bikes out there for cheap to learn on.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've got a total of 7 days of road riding experience including my motorcycle course, plus some random dirt bike experience on some friends YZ & CR 250/125/80's as a teen. I picked up my FZ last Saturday and it's the first bike I've ever owned and I couldn't be more pleased with it. When I rode it the first day I was so afraid to ride it because of all the hype and warnings about it, but by the end of the first day I felt confident on the bike. After 5 days riding my FZ I can say for the record that I would recommend this bike to anyone, beginner or expert assuming they have self restraint and a healthy respect for the power of this thing. I would just advise any less experienced riders to take a course first and only start in B mode until you feel confident enough to switch to STD or A.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I totally agree with the man from BC. Get the FZ09 Lowandslow...it's really not as bad as the hype makes it seem.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
2001-2006 Honda CBR600F4i is a great starter bike that someone can keep for a few years because it is still pretty fast.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Hondas new 650 bikes looks pretty but if you're new to Street riding don't buy new right away until you have it down.

+1 for used sv650 - this was my first bike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you have the throttle control to not kill yourself on an MX track with big jumps, there is no reason to fear the FZ-09 as a first bike. You can always leave it in "B" mode until you get comfortable with it. If all of your dirt experience was long ago, this may not apply. Take the MSF class to learn how to deal with cars, but I really don't think with dirt bike experience you need to fear the FZ-09!

Mike

·
Registered
192 Posts
If this guys ridden cr250's and such, he'll be ok on throttle control. Thsi sounds silly, but is 100% true. You'll scare yourself silly on a two stroke race bike long before you will on a 110 hp fz09. If you've not tried one, you have no idea how quickly a cr250 will rev. 80's and 125's might be even more terrifying...I know, back to scheduled programming, but mx bike owners will understand.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If this guys ridden cr250's and such, he'll be ok on throttle control. Thsi sounds silly, but is 100% true. You'll scare yourself silly on a two stroke race bike long before you will on a 110 hp fz09. If you've not tried one, you have no idea how quickly a cr250 will rev. 80's and 125's might be even more terrifying...I know, back to scheduled programming, but mx bike owners will understand.
Agreed! The hp curve on a 2 stroke MX bike looks like a profile drawing of Mt. Fuji. When the power kicks in on a YZ250 its sudden and frightening at times. Any 2 stroke 250 feels like its a 4 stroke 500 probably because it's firing twice as often at any given rpm.

I remember my younger brother got a CR80 when I was about 26 and he let me take it for a rip on a field, the front wheel came up in 2nd and I had to lean over the bars to bring it back down.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts