Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 2021 MT-09, and quickly found my way to this place of interest. I actually purchased a "crate damaged" unit, still working things out with the dealer but still able to put miles on it. First few mods already done, it sucks waiting on the aftermarket to catch up. I'm near central Indiana if any others nearby maybe we can hook up for a ride.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing real spectacular of note just the basic stuff each new ride gets.

installed a DIY tail tidy
removed passenger pegs, made a rear brake fluid rezzy bracket
Oury grips
CRG shorty levers

Tech Spec generic sheets on the way so I can get some grip on that tank, fitting those will be next.
As soon as I can design something, probably make some lower risers to get the bars down a little bit. I wish they already had shorter risers, but taller bars. That would make it easier to do a bar swap.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Welcome! Got a few 2021 owners joined recently.
What exactly was damaged in the crate?

Reactions: GreatHolio

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! Got a few 2021 owners joined recently.
What exactly was damaged in the crate?
There is a small light vertical scratch on the side of the gas tank, it appears only through clear and not the paint. The undertail plastic both sides near the back. The tail lamp is busted in a small area next to the seat. The seat has a tear at the seem on side. The biggest damage is the swingarm where the bracketry in the crate rubbed on it for many miles during its travels. The dealer and I came to a verbal agreement on discounted price and a handshake for repair parts. I am waiting on the claim to go through Yamaha before I can get parts. I don't want to get into the details as I'm not sure what the outcome will be just yet. I may have a great deal, or maybe not depending on how the dealer holds up their end. I have some photos, but it's one of those things you just have to see in person.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I'm down south of you and ride st rd 58 south to Bedford then hit the newly paved st rd 450 into Shouls then st rd 150 to West Baden... My buddy and I are both retired and ride these roads alot ! Welcome to come down and join if you are not to far north ! Where did you buy your bike at ?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
There is a small light vertical scratch on the side of the gas tank, it appears only through clear and not the paint. The undertail plastic both sides near the back. The tail lamp is busted in a small area next to the seat. The seat has a tear at the seem on side. The biggest damage is the swingarm where the bracketry in the crate rubbed on it for many miles during its travels. The dealer and I came to a verbal agreement on discounted price and a handshake for repair parts. I am waiting on the claim to go through Yamaha before I can get parts. I don't want to get into the details as I'm not sure what the outcome will be just yet. I may have a great deal, or maybe not depending on how the dealer holds up their end. I have some photos, but it's one of those things you just have to see in person.

Ah I see. Well I hope the dealer makes it right, and trusting of you to even take delivery of the damaged bike on a handshake. All looks pretty repairable.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah I see. Well I hope the dealer makes it right, and trusting of you to even take delivery of the damaged bike on a handshake. All looks pretty repairable.
All the dealer has to do is file the claim with Yamaha. It will cost him nothing. I made the deal happen as I said you don't have to do the labor. That's really what made it work for him. Others tried to buy it, but he knew he was losing money on labor to put new parts on. Assuming this works out, I'll have brand new parts as a backup. I'm going to have to get custom paint mixed up for the swingarm as none is available as far as I can tell.
I saved enough money to pay retail for parts if that's what it came to. I do all my own wrenching so I saw it as low risk.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Dammit... The more I try not to like the looks of this bike... I see pictures... I'm starting to fall for it. But I love my 2018 MonsTah-09... Almost arriving at 20k...

Faaaaaaaaahhhk!

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When dealing with a stealership... these two words are RED ALERT items. Not wishing anything negative by any means... and it might be way too late to get this on paper with a signature.

Welcome to the club tho. Should be a most awesome bike.

Good luck and keep us posted.
oh I'm well aware they could f*ck me as they basically have no obligation at this point. I'm hoping that doesn't happen. I too can be a huge a$$hole and make their life difficult. That dealership is not huge, and depends heavily on word of mouth I believe. I didn't get any vibes this would end badly, and I've definitely dealt with shady dealerships before. At the end of the day I got a brand new machine for a good price even with it's flaws.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm down south of you and ride st rd 58 south to Bedford then hit the newly paved st rd 450 into Shouls then st rd 150 to West Baden... My buddy and I are both retired and ride these roads alot ! Welcome to come down and joint if you are not to far north ! Where did you buy your bike at ?
I don't get a lot of days where I can get too far away as I've family at home. I do get down past Nashville where it T's into 50. Sometimes I'll just go back north the way I came or sometimes shoot over to Bloomington and head back north. I'm near the Mooresville area. I don't want to name the dealership at this time, but certainly will once the claim is settled.

·
Registered
Batmobile
775 Posts
I'm getting really envious over these new models, I want the newest shiny thing! I hope things go well with the dealer!

Just so you know, our East coast rally is next week in Busick, NC. If you can make it I'm sure everyone wants to see that sweet ride in person.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,183 Posts
If you're happy with the deal that is all that matters, and you can't see any of those defects from the saddle while your riding!

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you're happy with the deal that is all that matters, and you can't see any of those defects from the saddle while your riding!
I'll be more satisfied if I get the free parts. There is no reason I shouldn't unless the dealer simply doesn't file the claim. They received it damaged, the dealer didn't do anything to cause it.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought I would update this thread with some news I received yesterday. The dealer called me and said the warranty claim was approved and I will be getting all the parts I asked for replaced free of charge. The warranty parts are on now on order and dealer will call me when/as they trickle in. The dealer is Fox's Cycle Sales in Bloomington, IN and certainly seem to be one of the good guys left in this world.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I saw your bike right after it came off the truck. I would have no problems taking that dealers word on it. I have purchased countless bikes from them.l and traded just as many with them. They are small but they move a lot of inventory. Bike looks great. Minor damage glad you were able to get it. Just my .02.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts