Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
There was an issue with the lower handlebar clamps, which the dealer had to switch out with new parts. And there was a reflash on the ECU to correct a glitch where if you turned your key switch too slowly you'd get a check-engine light that you couldn't turn off.

I believe that was it. (And XSR's haven't had any issues with cam-chain tensioners, despite what you'll read later in this thread).

If you bought yours from a dealer, they should have addressed both issues, but check with them to make sure...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. Thanks.

I thought I read something about an issue with the side stand switch but I may be mistaken.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The clutch cable has a tendency to kink near the lever and possibly cause issues. Yamaha has a new part number for the redesigned clutch cable. The new clutch cable has a rigid tube that guides the cable in the 90 degree bend from the cable adjuster down toward the triple clamp area. I ordered it from a local dealer and installed it myself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Moto26. I bought the bike used last December 1 at the local Indian dealer and googled recalls for the 2016 XSR900. I don't remember where on the web I found out about the cable. (I hope the other two issues are taken care of.) I went to the Ina Road Ride Now, who didn't know about the recall, but looked up the part and ordered it for me. I showed the guy there who has a silver 2016 xsr where his cable was kinking, but I don't know whether he changed his cable out.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
You can go to these links for the Official Recalls in Canada and the USA.

Canada Website: Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls Database

USA Website: https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Yamaha USA Recall Page: https://www.yamaha-dealers.com/public/web/techpubs/nhtsaPublications.html

You can also sign up as an Owner on the Yamaha Canada and USA websites, and you should get any official recall notices in the mail.

If all else fails your local Yamaha dealer should be able to look up your VIN Number to see if there are any outstanding recalls. You can also ask the dealer if there are any outstanding Service Bulletins, since Service Bulletins are not listed as official recalls.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The clutch cable has a tendency to kink near the lever and possibly cause issues. Yamaha has a new part number for the redesigned clutch cable. The new clutch cable has a rigid tube that guides the cable in the 90 degree bend from the cable adjuster down toward the triple clamp area. I ordered it from a local dealer and installed it myself.
The old style clutch cable must have been on early production 2016 XSR900s. I just looked at my 2016 (made Apr 2016), and it has the metal guide tube on the clutch cable as you describe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks XSR-900. I hope a limited group was effected. Some of our sister bikes had a clutch cable breakage problem between 2000-20000 miles. I remember why I looked up the clutch cable now. I had a zero speed tip while practicing slow maneuvering. I stalled it and went down on the left side. Small scratches on the side case and mirror, plus bruises were the cost. Lucky. Some time later I was looking the bike over and found a dent in the clutch cable in the triple clamp area. Looking for installation instructions I found out about the breakage issue and new part. Maybe they used FJ cables? In any case, the new style cable looks fine 6000 miles later.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
XSR900 and pkotof, this is what my original cable looks like...

IMG_4613.PNG

Are you saying your cables look different than this one?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Moto26: That was the cable that came stock on my bike. See the cable bend where the rigid part meets the cable housing going down next to the triple clamp? That bend is where cables have broken. The new cable has a rigid piece from the cable adjuster that makes almost a ninety-degree bend down to meet the cable housing. I love how Yamaha has hit a home run with this engine and bike, but I am not pleased that this issue took a chance dented cable to discover. I guess I was lucky to be a dumb ass and stall the bike. After passing the license test, btw. Just playing around.

I do not have a way to load a picture, unfortunately. The cables are obviously different though. When you see the new part there is no comparison.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Interesting... I guess this was a "service bulletin", like Rocky was saying, so there was no letter sent out. I haven't had an issue, since I changed my handlebars and that kink isn't as pronounced as it was when it was stock (as in the picture I posted). But it's good to know there's an updated cable if I do have a problem.

Okay, add that to the list if you have an early-production '16 (mine was 3/16)...

So, XSR900, you say yours is from 4/16 and it has the "new" cable?

·
Registered
615 Posts

View attachment 150114

So, XSR900, you say yours is from 4/16 and it has the "new" cable?
I compared my clutch cable to the photo that Brando4905 posted ... mine looks like yours Moto26, but it doesn't look to kink quite as much as yours where the metal tube ends and the vinyl cable starts. When I was reading pkotof's description, it sounded like the first cable design didn't have any metal tube, so I thought mine might have been the updated cable, but it's not.

·
Vendor
49 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts

View attachment 150114

Hey Moto26, here’s what the updated clutch cable looks like.....

View attachment 150126
Does anyone have the part number for the improved clutch cable?
Should be 1RC-26335-01-00.
All above are correct. They must have changed the cable very early in XSR production, and if you order a clutch cable today, the one TTR mentions above is the one you'll get, and it looks like Brando's red bike in the picture above.

I ended up installing the new cable when I changed from my Pro Tapers to my Hurricane Swallow bars, and it worked well. It's a little bit of a pain to install, because even when you pull the fuel tank up out of the way, it's still pretty blind when you're trying to route the cable. But it's doable.

I know this is kind of an old thread, but it's good reference...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts