Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I rang my dealer this morning to enquire if I could come in for them to retighten my ticky bloody ticky tensioner. As I have the so called "approved Yamaha mod", I couldnt take out the cap bolt they had put in to adjust the tension (as you would with a set screw as per Fizzers kit) as it was too long and hit the frame. They didn't use a set screw, just an allen head cap bolt. The entire tensioner had to come out to be able to do anything, so I have just left it as my ticking wasn't too bad anyway and kept hoping for the part to come into stock.

But past all that crap on onto the meaty stuff.......

He says to me that part has just been issued a recall. Come in, we have the new part here in stock and can fit it asap. Saturday morning too. I didn't get any part numbers or anything like that, but I assume that it is the 03 revision that has been put into a few other bikes, and they must be happy with its performance so far............but time will tell.

Took all of 15 minutes (which as per previous conversations is all the time it should take to change it over) and so far no ticking on my 20 odd km drive home.........and I gave it a real hard time too mixed in with some extended cruising and decels at 3-6k which is where all my ticking used to take place in the rev range, especially on decel.

So I believe very soon people will either get a call or an official letter about the recall. He stated that they only found out about the recall a day or two ago, so it is still fairly fresh news, and have only done the one so far.....two including mine. My dealer is Five Star Yamaha.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that they recorded my VIN and engine number for their records, which also tells me its an official recall.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah if you don't have an issue......I would never touch it, you definitely got lucky.

Good to know that if it ever does go you have a free part waiting though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah I seem to be one of the lucky ones, 6500kms and nothing but bliss.

Good to know I can get Cullys to replace on a recall now rather than battling for it!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I hope this is an official recall now!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
So far, in 600 miles there is no noise in mine that I'm aware of, but if I get a recall letter, I'll get it done for sure

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I hate to be sceptical, but I am always leary of what the guys at the stealership say. They probably got the part in and wanted to make it sound official. Typically, it will come in the form of a service bulletin, and usually a recall is not issued unless it becomes a safety hazard and they are forced by NHTSA to do it.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I hate to be sceptical, but I am always leary of what the guys at the stealership say. They probably got the part in and wanted to make it sound official. Typically, it will come in the form of a service bulletin, and usually a recall is not issued unless it becomes a safety hazard and they are forced by NHTSA to do it.
I have on occasion seen manufacturers issue voluntary recalls if they think it will save them money in the long run...time will tell, but I suspect you're right about it being a TSB in this case

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just ran a VIN inquiry on my FZ to see if a recall has been issued. No such thing yet. It appears to just be a service bulletin as of now.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The noise just started in my FZ-09 at 3,200 miles. My dealer mentioned the Technical Service Bulletin and confirmed my description matched an issue with the CCT, and she goes in on Friday. We'll see if there's an adjustment of the CCT or a replacement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The noise just started in my FZ-09 at 3,200 miles. My dealer mentioned the Technical Service Bulletin and confirmed my description matched an issue with the CCT, and she goes in on Friday. We'll see if there's an adjustment of the CCT or a replacement.
Can you update us please?

·
Registered
885 Posts
The service was complete on Friday morning. The service manager told me the dealership had received a service bulletin from Yamaha at about the same time I made my initial report of the CCT noise. Fortunately, the bulletin helped since the noise is so sporadic and might not have occurred when a technician had the FZ-09. It also established, without question, this was a warranty issue, so I paid nothing (yay!).

My description states, "customer states he is hearing engine noise around 3500-4500 rpm." The repair order states, "the tech adjusted the cam chain tensioner per the service bulletin." "Repair Order Total"... zero.

No CCT replacement at this point. I spent much of the day riding, and after about 200 miles, I have heard no recurrence of the noise. For now, the CCT seems fine. But I like that the FZ-09's CCT now has a documented warranty service history if the issue resurfaces.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Should have mentioned this in my previous post, but the odometer for Friday's service was 3,510 and currently (Saturday evening) 3,726.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Starting to think this was indeed the case, and the young kid didnt know what he was supposed to be doing or saying.

Either way, got a revised tensioner out of the process....................that doesnt work!!!! Rev 3............no worky.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Starting to think this was indeed the case, and the young kid didnt know what he was supposed to be doing or saying.

Either way, got a revised tensioner out of the process....................that doesnt work!!!! Rev 3............no worky.
Are you saying the rev 3 isn't working for you????

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are you saying the rev 3 isn't working for you????
Absolutely not.

Rattles more than ever before.

It was good for about 3 days and then I thought I could hear a slight rattle on decel again, and then this morning I rode to work without my earplugs in. Could hear rattling it all the way.

That being said, I rode the other 2 times after the replacement with my earplugs in. So it could have very well been rattling right from the moment they replaced it and I just didnt hear it.

Going to have a looksy this afternoon, to see if that screw is backing out on its own again. Even then, will fix on my own this time. Yamaha can not get this right, whilst I can and so can hundreds of other owners. And I will tell them as much.

·
Registered
342 Posts
mine will be here today installing tomm if this doesn't work going to a manual cct from ape......kudos to them for building them!!!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts